News:

• March 30, 2024, 02:14:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Supertigre .35 Stunt Brian Gardner Piston and liner sets  (Read 6318 times)

Offline Juan Valentin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
Supertigre .35 Stunt Brian Gardner Piston and liner sets
« on: August 22, 2017, 08:59:07 AM »

I would like to have two sets of Brian Gardner  Supertigre .35 ABC stunt Piston and liner sets. I have in the past posted in the classifieds but had no luck. I sent an email to Brian yesterday and he said that if there is enough interest he would do them but that he needs at least 15 sets ordered to produce them. I`m making a survey and If you would like to have set let it be known in this thread. 

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
Re: Supertigre .35 Stunt Brian Gardner Piston and liner sets
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 11:18:54 AM »
What's the cost? That might generate more interest. Or at least mine  ;D

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 12:39:24 PM »
Hello Ron
                     I sent Brian a message asking for the price. I also asked about the price of the stunt head as I will be converting combat engines to stunt and the head has to be replaced. Have you had any luck finding the Stunt ST.35 engines? The one I received yesterday was a combat model a G21/35 .
                                                                                                                                                                       Juan

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 01:15:41 PM »
I would be interested in one set if it includes the head and a rod and everything necessary for the conversion of a combat G21 35. including gaskets etc.
You will also need a different venturii  etc.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 01:59:13 PM »
I would take two sets. The old RC versions of which I have a couple used the baffle pistons. The C models; not the G21's.

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 03:15:11 PM »
Hello Ron
                     I sent Brian a message asking for the price. I also asked about the price of the stunt head as I will be converting combat engines to stunt and the head has to be replaced. Have you had any luck finding the Stunt ST.35 engines? The one I received yesterday was a combat model a G21/35 .
                                                                                                                                                                       Juan

Juan, I did get one! I would be interested in a few sets to keep what I have going and also to convert some Combat engines which would open up more doors for sourcing engines.

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 05:53:08 PM »
Juan, I did get one! I would be interested in a few sets to keep what I have going and also to convert some Combat engines which would open up more doors for sourcing engines.
                       Hello Ron
                                      I`m glad you were able to get one, How many sets you want? 
                                                                                                                                                                           Juan

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 06:15:40 PM »

Brian Gardner
Re: Supertigre C 35 stunt
« Sent to: Juan Valentin on: Today at 04:56:52 Pm

Piston/liner/rod/pin sets would be approx $130 Australian dollars shipped. Multiple sets do have a combined shippoing discount. Heads are usually $28AUD extra.

We are busy with LA46 and HP40 sets at present, so the lead time would be about 6 months.

Well guys here is the answer I got from Brian about the ST.35 stunt sets.  P/L $130.00 Au=$102.89 Usd Hemi Head $28Au=$22.16 Usd.   Doesn`t mention gaskets but the Merco set I got included an aluminum a head gasket. That would leave out the backplate gasket which is not hard to make. The Needle Valves can be had from RSM Distribution at $9.99. The Stunt Sprinkler Venturi I have seen them on ebay at 16.99
                                                                                                                                                                     Juan

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 07:26:18 PM »
                       Hello Ron
                                      I`m glad you were able to get one, How many sets you want? 
                                                                                                                                                                           Juan

Let's say 2 Juan

Offline Dennis Keeton

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 07:47:41 PM »
Hello,

I want three(3) Supertigre .35 Stunt Brian Gardner Piston and liner sets
                                                and
                                       2(too) heads

dk 

ps: please collect payment long before CHRISTMAS time!!!

pps: or long after!!!

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 08:30:49 PM »
https://stunthanger.com/smf/rat-racing-and-team-racing/magnum-asp-venturis-back-in-stock/

These Bill Bischoff Venturies fit , tho dunno in the 1/4 bore would be the correct sizing . Click on the picture there for full size .

The Magnum GP 25 & 40 , Thunder Tiger 25 , and MVVS D7 / G7 also - with the ' Appropriate ' size ' O ' ring , particularly in the case of the T.Tiger .

And perhaps the S T G20  - 15  , machined down a mm to fit the case , on the plug in diameter .

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 10:02:47 PM »
I don't know why you would want to dump that much money into a SuperTiger cross flow when you could get a Brodak 40 cheaper, lighter with more power and comes with a muffler. 

MM
           Well for me is a matter of nostalgia,I bought my first Supertiger in 1969 In a hobby shop in St.Petersburg Florida.  I still have it and had a lot of fun flying different models with it. I liked that unlike other engines of that era they are long lasting, The front bushing and piston/cylinder hold up pretty well.  I also have the Brodak .40 and I know is a fine engine but it has no history with me yet.
                                                                                                                                                     Juan

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 08:42:22 AM »
I am counting 10 sets in this thread. Is he dead set on the 15? Maybe you could pose the question on the other forum as well.

Ron

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 09:58:09 PM »
We only need four more sets spoken for to go through with the order....

Offline Russell

• ACE
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2017, 01:13:11 PM »
Hello Ron
                                                                                                                                                                       Juan

Maybe. Price and parts available to convert are needed.

I see the Brodak 40 is no longer available? The 25 too?

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 06:43:24 PM »
Maybe. Price and parts available to convert are needed.

I see the Brodak 40 is no longer available? The 25 too?

Hello CL Flyer
                                This kit is to improve the Supertiger .35 Stunt or to convert a Supertiger combat .35 to stunt.   Here is the info on the kit and price, Let me know if you want one:     the ST.35 ABC stunt sets includes an aluminum Piston,piston pin, connecting rod and chromed brass liner for $102.89 Usd Hemi Head are $22.16 Usd.   Doesn`t mention gaskets but the Merco set I got included an aluminum a head gasket. That would leave out the backplate gasket which is not hard to make. The Needle Valves can be had from RSM Distribution at $9.99. The Stunt Sprinkler Venturi I have seen them on ebay at 16.99
                                                                                                                                                                     Juan

Offline Russell

• ACE
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 07:35:54 PM »
Thank you for the price list. I'm going to pass.

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 10:23:58 AM »

Well Guys we have the 15 sets order that were needed. I will be contacting Brian Gardner to let him know. Ron Cribb and Steve Lotz added 1 P/L to their respective orders and I decide to order 5 sets to get to the goal of 15 sets. Here is the list:
                                                                             P/L           Heads
                                                   Juan Valentin         5              3
                                                  Dennis Keeton        3              2
                                                  Ron Cribb               3              2
                                                  Steve Lotz              3
                                                  Randy Cuberly         1

Juan

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 05:23:27 AM »
I'd take 2 of the heads also...

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2017, 08:26:31 AM »
Hello Steve
                        I will pass that information to Brian.
                                                                                         Juan

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2017, 05:59:37 PM »
I can tell you the stock head is the way to go. I have the first two st/35 that used the Brian conversion.  He used one of my motors to copy as he did not have one. I did the conversion as soon as I had the parts but did not use the two I had very much for a few years. I did a head mod and there was no improvement. They did take some break in time. They  will fly the pattern on 2-3 ounces of fuel. Not much castor is needed.   I have the first st46 motors as I worked with Brian on these also.  I run 10/5 props and get a lot more power than a fox on 5% fuel.
 I did this conversion on the BB combat motors for a friend and they ran OK but faster as th crank timing is different. Combat head needs a baffle cut in it. The motor I had in my Tucker for eight years was a converted Tigre 35.  It had about the same power as the Rustler that it replaced.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2017, 05:24:26 PM »
That's some valuable input ed. I won't offer hemi heads with these ones then, just stock head design with the baffle slot.

I can tell you the stock head is the way to go. I have the first two st/35 that used the Brian conversion.  He used one of my motors to copy as he did not have one. I did the conversion as soon as I had the parts but did not use the two I had very much for a few years. I did a head mod and there was no improvement. They did take some break in time. They  will fly the pattern on 2-3 ounces of fuel. Not much castor is needed.   I have the first st46 motors as I worked with Brian on these also.  I run 10/5 props and get a lot more power than a fox on 5% fuel.
 I did this conversion on the BB combat motors for a friend and they ran OK but faster as th crank timing is different. Combat head needs a baffle cut in it. The motor I had in my Tucker for eight years was a converted Tigre 35.  It had about the same power as the Rustler that it replaced.
Ed

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2017, 08:32:43 PM »
Brian     As you probably remember I tried several head designs for the .46 and a basic hemi head worked the best for a smooth 2-4 break. On the .35 the hemi  did not improve the run in any way. The stock head gives good even power going from a four to a two cycle and the motor comes back from a two cycle to a four cycle very quick.  I run a .272 intake but you can go bigger. Up to .292 and still draw fuel OK. With a .272 intake I use 3 ounces of fuel to fly the pattern. Fuel is 15-17 % oil half and half,10% nitro.  For a year I had the motor with the large intake in my  Randy Smith small Tempest and it seemed as powerful as a .46 but it was tail heavy so I put in the .46.
Ed

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 05:37:52 PM »
I did this conversion on the BB combat motors for a friend and they ran OK but faster as th crank timing is different. Combat head needs a baffle cut in it

Just checked my unprejudiced ! measured figures for the 21 / 35 B B Crank timing , 35 , 45 . SAME as stated in test for c 35 Stunt .
also 21/46 passage 9 mm Dia. , presuming 21/35 the same , matches C35 Stunt shaft passage Dia .

My 21/35s are the series with the small square flats on the casting on the exhaust stack , would assume all run same timing , unless the Combat Blokes have been at them . VD~

So would assume similar power characteristics , and differance being the ball race supported shaft , being less frictional . C 35 Combat I had was V Tight- draggy in the shaft .

Suggests the 21/35 B B is a prime candidate for the A B C Conversion , with baffle slot cut in head . Assuming you dont want to use a 21/46 which weight would be comparable .

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2017, 07:50:53 PM »
Brian     As you probably remember I tried several head designs for the .46 and a basic hemi head worked the best for a smooth 2-4 break. On the .35 the hemi  did not improve the run in any way. The stock head gives good even power going from a four to a two cycle and the motor comes back from a two cycle to a four cycle very quick.  I run a .272 intake but you can go bigger. Up to .292 and still draw fuel OK. With a .272 intake I use 3 ounces of fuel to fly the pattern. Fuel is 15-17 % oil half and half,10% nitro.  For a year I had the motor with the large intake in my  Randy Smith small Tempest and it seemed as powerful as a .46 but it was tail heavy so I put in the .46.
Ed

Hello Eddy
                        Thanks for posting valuable information on the ST.35 ABC. I would like to ask you which is better for the conversion,the C.35 stunt version with the crank running in the bushing or the G21/35 ball bearing engine which is heavier? The G21/35 I have are combat engines.Do you agree with Matt about using the ball bearing version? What has been your experience. I will appreciate your reply.
                                                                                                                                                   Juan

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2017, 09:55:04 PM »
In the past before the abc parts were available I did the conversion using standard stunt parts. When I converted my stunt motors to abc I used the stunt parts in combat models. I notched the heads but do not remember he head configuration . There are many versions of the combat models. Some have very fast timing on the cranks. The combat models were made in bb and none bb versions . The profile combat  motors were different also.  I built combat motors for many years. I would use the none bb stunt motors for stunt. I have two and they run flawless every time. NOTE.   A stock stunt motor with out the conversion is just as powerful but uses more fuel. The ST 35's last a lot longer than a fox or OS Max 35'.   I tun a .272 intake but you can run a .292 ant get a lot more power. I put 292 intakes in stunt motors for use in profile combat models years ago . I used my ST 46 intakes on the combat models on suction with no problems.
   I see a lot of miss spelling but I did this on a very small tablet
Ed

NOTE 9-11-17
   My memory is not good on motors I did 40+ years ago.  I looked at some old notes I have on ST/46 motors and found this on g21 -35  motors. The combat motor had crank failures and I changes some out for people. The cranks had square cut openings. The replacement cranks had oval openings like the stunt  motors. I never measured them. I had some note on a g21-35 that I converted to stunt around 1975 and used the old style crank. I do not know how it ran.
 Two or three years ago I converted a g21-35 for a local guy"Neval" It seemed to run a good stunt run but faster than my c35. It seemed more powerful than my C35 as it was in a heavy model. Neval's G21 was a  early one piece crankcase motor.
   I use to order direct from Italy.
Ed
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 08:35:52 AM by EddyR »

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2017, 09:06:54 AM »
as mentioned above I have been into st rebuilding for many years. Here are some notes from 1984. most are about the 40- 46 but there is some information on the 35,and older 51and 56. I was like many other at that time trying to get more power out of the 46
 Some of you ask questions about the rebuilding the 46. This may help.

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2017, 01:53:19 PM »
as mentioned above I have been into st rebuilding for many years. Here are some notes from 1984. most are about the 40- 46 but there is some information on the 35,and older 51and 56. I was like many other at that time trying to get more power out of the 46
 Some of you ask questions about the rebuilding the 46. This may help.

Eric do you have a schematic for the ST 51 Sleeve "Stunt" timing?

Thanks,
George Albo
Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2017, 02:50:05 PM »
 George 
    I no longer have any information on the old ST/51.   But I do remember it was built in the large case used by the 56 and 60 so it was not a very popular motor for controlline stunt as it was very large for a .51.       There was a seldom seen 51 built in a small case with out BB. I had one and it was a good stunt motor in my Super Duper zilch.  They made ST/56 motors also without BB and they work well also. Very light, I am surprised they never became popular.
Ed

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2017, 04:39:41 PM »
Eddy ,
Found some good pictures of the later PLAIN BEARING 56 R. C. so put them here .

Wonder if headbolt patterns same as V 60 BB .

Unfinned are earlier , 51 at least is Plain Bearing predecessor to the B.B. , sleeve piston rod etc interchange . I guess like the PB 35s to the B B 35s .
 I think three series of these . 1st & last ( 56 ) here.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 05:34:09 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2017, 04:58:38 PM »
Id assume this ' opened out exhaust ' 21/35 is one of the more vicious versions , with the port that big .

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2017, 12:34:06 PM »
That is a beautiful rework of the ST/51. It looks like one of Brian Eather motors. He and I spent a lot of time together at the 1988 Nats. He explained to me that the Tigre motors ran to cool so he removed all the head fins on his ST/46 and ST/60 motors. I went home and did the same to one of my ST/46 motors and it did not seem to have any bad effects on the run. I do not know it it improved it in any way. All my ST/46 head fins were already down to 1/16" to 3/32" max. Here is the one I did in 1988. I also retaped all my reworks and used 6/32 bolts in the head. I think Windy did this also and called it the Super Bee. The 40 on the left has the factory cut off ,rather crude.
Ed

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2017, 05:58:19 PM »
Id assume this ' opened out exhaust ' 21/35 is one of the more vicious versions , with the port that big .

Hello Matt
                  I have one that is similar but this one has Perry Directional Porting. The engine is new so I don`t know how it performs. I looked in this site which has a lot of engine reviews and only found the ST  C.35 review. Here is a picture of mine,looking inside the exhaust port to the left you can see a couple of staggered shinny squares those are the PDP ports.

http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Index.html
                                                                                                                                                                  Juan

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2018, 03:50:38 PM »
These are almost ready fellas. I'll start chasing money for them in the next couple of weeks.

Brian

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2018, 07:46:11 PM »
These are almost ready fellas. I'll start chasing money for them in the next couple of weeks.

Brian

Do these have flat top (combat)  or  baffle  piston in the  ABC set ?

Randy

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2018, 12:46:32 PM »
These should be the stunt model and have a baffle piston.

Steve

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2018, 04:16:25 AM »
Brian, If there are any extras of these I would like one.  Thanks, C. T. Schaefer

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2018, 02:36:50 AM »
Baffle piston/stunt timed. I've done some baffle heads so customers can convert a flat top piston engine to stunt.

Provided nobody renegs on their request all are spoken for.

Brian

Do these have flat top (combat)  or  baffle  piston in the  ABC set ?

Randy

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2018, 12:26:17 PM »
Walt, Har. Har.  Looked at that a long time ago. Fox case would be like tin foil ;D   I do have a derelict C.35 stunt here. Thought it would be fun to have a good one.  TS

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2018, 04:34:08 PM »
I have one set and head available if anyone want them.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here