News:

• April 19, 2024, 04:27:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Hurricane Rib Profiles  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Ian Hewitt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Super Hurricane Rib Profiles
« on: January 24, 2022, 04:17:03 AM »
Hi Stunt Hangar,

I managed to acquire a new ENYA 45 6001 ball race motor via EBay and have been looking at suitable stunt designs for it. My current fancy is the Super Hurricane by Takashi Hara and I've just received a copy of the kit plans for it from Derrick Scott.

Unfortunately the plans provide only the rib profile for the root rib.The wing section given is NACA 0018.

Are there copies of the 12 ribs available anywhere, I wonder - that's a please..?

If not I guess that I could plot the tip rib but would appreciate some advice on wing depth. I assume that this will be in similar proportion to the root rib - section depth /chord (including flaps)?

Thanks in anticipation

Ian

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Re: Super Hurricane Rib Profiles
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 08:41:55 AM »
You might contact Takashi Hara on facebook and ask about rib tracings or info.  https://www.facebook.com/takashi.hara.7906
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Ian Hewitt

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 11:46:13 AM »
Thanks Brent - I have sent Takashi Hara an FB message.

Ian

Online Paul Allen

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 03:20:19 AM »
Hi Ian
        Did you ever get the tip rib profile.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 11:35:26 PM »
Think theres a SERIES of Hurricanes. Flew my 112% flat flank airfoil S 30 / Caudron today . Como 51 & FP 40 Hemi .https://stunthanger.com/smf/nostalgia-30/hara-hurricane-s-30/msg496106/#msg496106
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 09:27:20 PM by Air Ministry . »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2023, 09:17:55 PM »
Uh Huh .

If you Want to be ANNOYING , find a good photocopier that dosnt DISTORT , and blow the ROOT & UNDERCARRAGE RIBS up say 400 % , or 500% . !! A3 SIZE .

Trace & Overlap . Start with the SPAR as Datum . Both aligned . Differaces percent / measure and devide then project  further till the end . Rib .  ;D

Now , being totall awkward . We STUDY the CURVE , does the entry ( front 1/4 )  MATCH , if not , maybe it does adjacent the spar each side , perhaps .
or could be a Straight PERCENTAGE REDUCTION  , same Airfoil , like they say with a NACA 018 or whatever .

Tho some vary high point chord %age , or blunter / Thicker % tips . BUT transopolateing the existing shown , gets you a start . A AUTHENTIC ONE .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doing Four , ( if you cant think of more ) one say L E Aligned , projections parrallel to L E ,

One Spars aligned , projection lines parrallel to spar .

One ditto each , with RADIAN projection to vanishing point .

Overlaying these and the ones done from the trailing edges aligned  , (  VD~S?P  ) will give you a fair veiw of averages & commonalities to mull over before deciding the Real Curve .

ALSO theres a projeted drawing , picture , there , to relate back to to see if you got a match . If yove nothing better to do and switch the Television OFF , for an evening .

Like what thisis ,  But the transverses are closer , and ee dont show the end ' vanishing ' point - TIP . Pretty Basic , just need a sharp pencil & a bit of patiance or two .
a ruler , good eyes & a strong light . A sharp 6H will pick 1/10 th m.m. ; 0.1 mm at 500 % means itll be within 0.02 m.m.

Which is 0.7874016 thousanth of an inch . if that'll do .  ;D

Caudronised O'Hara urricane , from the little Aeromoellor incorrect drg . Plus a Inch Or Two inge to inge , and it dont BOBBLE like wot me foist one didid .

It ALSO cracked at the wooden canopy from OS 35 S v i b r a t i o n  , as its thin there , so got reconfigured in the redo . To This . and DONT put SHORT HORNS in , or Youll Regrett It !

Think there might be Some you Tube of Hara San & the Hurricane , period or current ish .
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 09:37:58 PM by Air Ministry . »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2023, 10:28:20 PM »
AHEM .

If not I guess that I could plot the tip rib but would appreciate some advice on wing depth. I assume that this will be in similar proportion to the root rib - section depth /chord

actually , to save a bit a faffing about , you get the gear leg rib there , and the root rib ,

Measure the HEIGHT & the LENGTH , ( And Cross Referance them , CHECK , against the PLAN VIEW of the WING )

With a calculator , throw in one over the other and It'll spit out something like 1.1 or 0.9  -

So , if you xeroxed it at that % - and put them on a sunny window ( Olde Draftsmen / Enginners had Light Boxes , like your fish tank if its got a lid ) .

Maybe then theyre a exact match ! ( if he has used the percentage trick )  as in Tip Chord is ' x ' % or Root Chord - If So theyre all exact %ages of it , just figure the end ones And Devide by bays , etc & so on .

Or cut a ply or alloy root & tip templae & sandwich em .

=====================================================================================================================================================

OBVIOUSLY going say 200 or 400 pecent ( std Photocopier ) Then calc. the diff & redo leg rib bigger to match root , see if exact match . BUT try a % or two Ea way of calc , if reqd. before you depart store .
as copies vary , as does paper , with ' warm up ' time . Then if the temperature humidity varies theyll change again . Like The Taped Paper on the board slacking off overnight & tautening thru the day /  >:(

ANYWAY - pretty basic to check the match of WHATS THERE ,
and go thereafter from that ,

At say 400 % and the matching of the two copies thru percentage to same size ( one way or the other ) youll see if he went for EXACT naca 0018 , or did a variation to suit .

As in if you get the length ( of the front ) Spot On , and ones thicker or thinner at the spar , youll see if he ran it deeper % outward , or thinner .

( to knock it off , you trace the root , throw the same front on a tip rib , same curve over the spar ( chosen Depth ) overlay the mid curve midway , fair it in .

ALL Rear will be IDENTICAL , you can go same curve from spar , aft  , over each - or do the tree part match .

==============================================================================================================================

If your names Tom MORRIS , you get the root rib curve template , Mark the L E point * depth on each , mark to length , throw on the curve . ( ( Detroiter or Std. construction ) )

his p a m p a Mellenium Wing articals , state he build ALL ships this way , as in Root tempate detroiter based system . Ands had No compaints .

Id Do the large copy match , then see how you go from there .
If say , the root was 50 deep , and the leg rib 40 , 40 goes into 50  1.25 time , so a 125% drg. of that would be checked against the other . or one at 500 & one at 400 , gives a more discernable test .

Copie both the one up on the right & the one on the fuselage drg. SEE IF THEY MATCH ! . then check out the one at the left top , in relation . At Corrected percentage , enlarged somewhat ,
youll get youre eye in good . Otherwise we'' all fall off the edge of the earth , and thatll be it for us all .  %^@   S?P

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2023, 11:06:19 PM »

Hara san has been building and improving his Super Hurricane series for a loooooong time
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 08:18:27 PM by Air Ministry . »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2023, 11:16:16 PM »
 >:( Egad . !

Purloined from the faar wastes of Dushanbe .

You can see where these started their Global Treck . ! these two with the red checquered rag , are THE 30 B .

« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 08:19:11 PM by Air Ministry . »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2023, 11:21:17 PM »
Roite . so theres a ' SUPER ' Hurricane AND a ' 30 B ' . so were told . All For YOU .  ;)

Some information about the Super Hurricane model from the creator of Takashi Hara

[SUPER HURRICANE] About the name of the aircraft. I'm a big fan of the British WWII Hawker Hurricane fighter. In addition, cord models fly in circles, so we decided to call SUPER HURRICANE. This aircraft has two types, Type A and Type B. Type A is designed for flying in windy conditions with good weather. Type B is for all weather.

Design concept. Type A (with wind in good weather, wind speed 0 m / s -1 m / s). The aspect ratio is slightly larger, and the flap and elevator angles are smaller than the flap travel. Type B (for all weather, strong winds and turbulence). The fuselage size will be one size smaller and lighter than the engine size, and the propeller pitch will be smaller to give the engine more room. Example: to make the aircraft as light as possible by installing a class 45 engine on a model under a class 35-40 engine.

Competitions. I participated in the World Championship three times. The first time took 13th place in 1976 (Netherlands) "S.HURRICANE 5B". The second time took 7th place in 1978 (UK) "S.HURRICANE 4C". Ranked 5th for the third time in 1980 (Poland) "S.HURRICANE 4C" (Note) About type C, what changed the main wing of type B to foam was called "type C" at that time. It's easy, but it's done.

Comes ROUND , Goes ROUND .

Online Paul Allen

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2023, 03:00:41 AM »
Have used the Tom Morris method before, what I don't know is if the leading edge tapers to the tip. Example L/E at root rib 20mm L/E at tip rib 16mm.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2023, 07:41:26 PM »
Yea ,
Id just ' Blow Up ' the ribs shown four or five hundred percent , on a photocopier .

The rear inch or two of the wing ribs will be identical all the way along .

The front inch should be too .
--------------------------------------

At that multiplication , any variation should be evident , where its harder to pick ' down small '

The plywood Gear Leg Rib is three bays out , ten bays total .

Say it was 1 mm less than R1 deep , the tip rib'd be  3 1/3 mm less than the root . I assume the one shown with the bellcrank is actually the cross section ON the centerline . So leave out of the calcs as uneven distance

A Eyeglass , magnifying glass , and good clean clear ruler ( measureing stick ) or suchlike , should see if the LE depth is the same , at the Ribs R1 & R4 shown on the plan . Mostly only Al Rabe would taper a L E depth back then . Its getting a bit absurd , to most people , unless the up to the eyebrows in technecalities . Pre C A D . Now the incompetant can do a competant incompetant drawing on one .  ;D   S?P  S?P   %^@   VD~

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2023, 07:54:38 PM »
Was timed out yesterday trying to put this lot on .  >:( Inces its any relehphants .

Super Hurricane Specifications

Model author: Takashi Hara

Drawing drawn by: Mitsuboshi

Wingspan - 1470 mm

Model length - 1095 mm

Model weight 1500 grams

Engine .35-.46 class (6-7.5 cm3)

The presented model is a continuation of the previously published Super Hurricane 30-B model, but in the size of modern aerobatic models. The indicated recommended engine displacement is from 6 to 7.5 cm3. But for a model weighing 1500 grams and a span of one and a half meters, by modern standards, an engine from 8 cm3 to 12.5 cm3 is needed. The more powerful the engine, the more power reserve remains. After all, in

In aerobatic cord models, as a rule, the engine is tuned to work at 60-70% of its power, leaving a margin for flights in unfavorable conditions. For example, an engine of class 51 (8 cm3) in favorable weather conditions is easily suitable for such a model, but if there is a strong wind, then in order to have an advantage in competitions in bad conditions, you need to install a more powerful engine.

The construction of the model is carried out in accordance with the drawing. The building material is predominantly balsa. It is very convenient to work with balsa even on the kitchen table.

==================

Some information about the Super Hurricane model from the creator of Takashi Hara

[SUPER HURRICANE] About the name of the aircraft. I'm a big fan of the British WWII Hawker Hurricane fighter. In addition, cord models fly in circles, so we decided to call it SUPER HURRICANE. This aircraft has two types, Type A and Type B. Type A is designed for flying in windy conditions with good weather. Type B is for all weather.

Design concept. Type A (with wind in fine weather, wind speed 0 m / s -1 m / s). The aspect ratio is slightly larger, and the flap and elevator angles are smaller than the flap travel. Type B (for all weather, strong winds and turbulence). The fuselage size will be one size smaller and lighter than the engine size, and the propeller pitch will be smaller to give the engine more room. Example: to make the aircraft as light as possible by installing a class 45 engine on a model under a class 35-40 engine.

Competitions. I participated in the World Championship three times. The first time took 13th place in 1976 (Netherlands) "S.HURRICANE 5B". The second time took 7th place in 1978 (UK) "S.HURRICANE 4C". Ranked 5th for the third time in 1980 (Poland) "S.HURRICANE 4C" (Note) About type C, what changed the main wing of type B to foam was called "type C" at that time. It's easy, but it's done.

Thank you very much 2020.2.1 Takashi Hara

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2023, 08:00:13 PM »
O.K. To Complete the trifecta . ( And all E asked for was a wing rib ! )  The Hurricane 30 B is a predecessor . Oter ere is his practise ship , Id think .

F2B training

Date: 11/9 (Sat) AM 9: 00

Weather: Sunny

Temperature: 13 ℃

Wind speed: 1m / s

Pilot: Takashi Hara

《CRAFT 2100》 Total weight: 1.360g

Basic adjustment contents

Engine: OS 46LA

Plug: ENYA №3

Propeller: APC 10.5 × 4.5

Fuel: Nitro: 15%, Oil: 22%

Rotation speed: 11000rpm + α

Wire: 0.38mm × 18.3m

Lap: 5.1 to 5.2 seconds
=====================================

Line acrobat from Japan Super Hurricane 30-B

Specifications for the SUPER HURRICANE 30-B

Model author: T. Hara

Drawing Drawn:-

Wingspan - 1240 mm

Model length - 885 mm

Model weight - grams

Enya 45 engine (7.5 cm3)

The model took 7th place at the 1978 Cord Model Aerobatic World Championship. Classic balsa cord aerobatic model of small size. The wingspan is only 1240 mm. Large fuselage and powerful engine. This model can be taken into account for the construction, as well as for designing your model. All dimensions are in millimeters and conveniently described on the drawing.

High resolution drawing of the HURRICANE model

Offline Ian Hewitt

• New Pilot
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2023, 06:48:32 AM »
Hi Paul,

I have replied to you on the Barton Forum but thought that I ought to be seen to be taking an interest on here!

I did manage to pretty much replicate the rib profile given on the drawing using an application programme in a web site that would plot the NACA profile given on the plan.

However, my focus had to shift to build a new vintage model as a back up for my Jameson which was and still is getting a little tired.

I really like the look of the Super Hurricane and may yet get around to building one - though it appears that my ENYA 45 may not be enough to cope with the rotten weather that we usually experience in the UK given the designer comments.

Ian

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here