News:

• April 28, 2024, 07:27:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super 'Phatic  (Read 1948 times)

Online peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Super 'Phatic
« on: December 07, 2020, 05:20:46 PM »
Is this stuff what they advertise it?
https://www.towerhobbies.com/product/super-phatic/DLMAD21.html
Thanks

Peabody

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
Re: Super 'Phatic
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 01:22:07 AM »
Is this stuff what they advertise it?
https://www.towerhobbies.com/product/super-phatic/DLMAD21.html
Thanks

Peabody

Haven't used that but their products seem to be great.  I've used their "Foam Safe" glue on EP Foam RC planes and love it.

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 06:44:35 AM »
I have used it and kinda like it. It flows about like CA and penetrates well. Sets up slower than CA but faster than Titebond or Elmers.  Doesn’t really set up hard, remains somewhat flexible. Doesn’t sand quite as well as Titebond 1.  It has its uses but IMO not a do all end all glue.  Free flight guys like it in some applications as Ambroid is gone and Duco formula has changed over the years. 
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 04:49:03 AM »
I've used it a lot, chiefly for wing spars - assemble ribs and spars dry, check everything's lined up, and add the glue using a fine nozzle.  It wicks into the joints better than anything I know except cyano, and I feel more confident using it because it takes time to set, giving you an opportunity to spot and correct any line-up issues.
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Online peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 05:30:45 AM »
Thanks
I ordered some from Amazing

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 04:28:05 PM »
I have used it and kinda like it. It flows about like CA and penetrates well. Sets up slower than CA but faster than Titebond or Elmers.  Doesn’t really set up hard, remains somewhat flexible. Doesn’t sand quite as well as Titebond 1.  It has its uses but IMO not a do all end all glue.  Free flight guys like it in some applications as Ambroid is gone and Duco formula has changed over the years. 

Thanks.  Got me some.

Howard

Through-hole man trapped in a surface-mount world
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 04:04:06 PM »
Glue arrived solid.  I got a refund.  Looking at Amazon reviews, I see that this is a common complaint. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 04:44:17 PM »
Glue arrived solid.  I got a refund.  Looking at Amazon reviews, I see that this is a common complaint.

That's not good.

Bob Hunt suggested Titebond 3 to me.  It's worked well so far.  I like how thin it is and it doesn't grab right away which is helpful.
Steve

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 05:03:43 PM »
Howard you got the child-proof /spill proof version.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 06:46:32 AM »
I must not have that many applications where I need to use wicking since I've had the same small bottle of SIG CA in my refrigerator for a few years now.

Mostly I use Gorilla White aliphatic cut with about 10% water or Weldbond cut with 10% ammonia for better wood penetration when sticking stuff together.  I keep it mixed in some small plastic bottles with needle (very large needle) applicators to use ala Tom Morris' recommendation.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2020, 07:29:34 AM »
I worked in a hobby shop for 23 years. When a water based glue such as this was exposed to freezing temperatures, this would typically happen. Apparently a few hours in the cargo hold of a jet was ok, but overnight in the truck at sub-freezing temperatures was enough to ruin it. We returned lots of hard RC56 and Formula 560 canopy glue during the winter.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 04:01:16 PM by bill bischoff »

Offline Akihiro Danjo

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 09:09:27 AM »
I had ever used that stuff but I don't like it very much. Because it dries a little gummy and not very strong for C/L use though it would be OK for F/F use.

Aki

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2020, 01:38:31 PM »
I had ever used that stuff but I don't like it very much. Because it dries a little gummy and not very strong for C/L use though it would be OK for F/F use.

I have the same problem with all of the alternative aliphatic glues, and gorilla glue - they never get very hard and that makes them impossible to sand, they deflect while you are sanding, then spring back. Titebond II is particularly bad about it, it's like liquid rubber.

I like original Titebond and Elmer's Carpenter's wood glue over any of the new ones. Drying hard is not a problem, silicon dioxide sandpaper will still go through it like butter. Pica and the old white Luthiers glue also dried completely rigid.

I have the same issue with SIGMENT/Duco, to a lesser degree- too much plasticizer. I am sure it is tougher that way, so it might work better as an adhesive by being tougher, but that also makes it difficult to sand.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here