News:

• April 23, 2024, 10:43:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Suggestions for a second plane  (Read 11300 times)

Online Brett Buck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Suggestions for a second plane
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2015, 07:24:10 PM »
2. I was very afraid to loop the plane at first because my previous attempts to do so with any sheet wing plane (i.e. Flite Streak trainer and similar) always ended up with near crashes-the plane simply refused to complete the maneuver. I wonder why these sheet wing planes I have had do this but the Magician does it effortlessly (and yes, when attempting to loop the flite streak trainer I began the maneuver with the wind I the proper direction). The wings were straight and everything was aligned properly and was using the recommended power plants.

Flat plate airfoils stall at very low angle of attack, and once they stall, the lift available from the wing goes down dramatically. I would be impressed if you managed to successfully loop the Streak trainer. These models are absolutely not intended or expected to be stuntable. Very light similar models can fly recognizable patterns, but are still not very good at it.

3. Is the Magician airfoil the same as the Ringmaster? Sorry for asking but I would like to make sure.
I ordered a Ringmaster (standard size, electric from RSM Distrubution) for the Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon next year.

The next step in my training is to learn the lazy 8. I am taking my time to get confident with each maneuver before moving on.

The airfoil on the Magician is *much better* than the airfoil on the Ringmaster. With a current modern engine with the right prop, you can fly Ringmasters through patterns with some success. With vintage engines, and with absolutely no modifications it takes a high degree of skill to successfully execute even a square loop without problems in the corners . They also stall at the drop of a hat. It was designed at a time when doing a loop or two was still a pretty big deal. It's better than the Streak trainer, but not nearly as good as the Magician.

There are plenty of posts here to suggest problem areas and where you can improve the limitations of the Ringmaster. The most important is to set up the controls for only small amounts of movement, but closely behind that is to *use a good modern engine that spins a 4" pitch prop". Beefing up the areas that need it, and saving weight where safe to do so, are also important.

Brett
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 02:20:32 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2015, 11:23:58 PM »
  The airfoil on the Magician is *much better* than the airfoil on the Ringmaster.

The charm of a Ringmaster isn't to go do the World's Best Pattern.  It's to survive the pattern and then brag about how many points you managed to wring out of a Ringmaster.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2015, 01:50:19 PM »
Whitely's white MonoKote Derringer at Reno Nat's in '84 was 15 points.
Chris...

I think the record for Monokote at the NATs is 14 points, shared by Allen Brickhaus and yours truly. Bill Fitzgerald's monokote airplane was actually much nicer than either of them, and I am not sure what he got. 14-15 points will not make any consequential difference  for the forseeable future.

Brett

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2015, 01:54:21 PM »
ABC,
The two Magician's that I had pretty much taught my dad in the 60's and me in the 70's to fly the pattern with Fox 35's powering them. Good design and should take you a long way. I repaired them both many times before completing the pattern and retiring them too. Good design.
Chris...

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2015, 02:19:32 PM »
Whitely's white MonoKote Derringer at Reno Nat's in '84 was 15 points.
Chris...

Really?  I stand corrected.

Nonetheless, I was pretty happy with the fact that my 14 pointer was crashed the day before we left, completely rebuilt and refinished, partly in motel rooms on the way, and had the canopy painted on with a brush literally in the parking lot at appearance judging. Aero-Gloss dries really fast in Lubbock, TX, when it's 103 degrees.

Brett

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2015, 05:47:44 PM »
  Really?  I stand corrected.

Nonetheless, I was pretty happy with the fact that my 14 pointer was crashed the day before we left, completely rebuilt and refinished, partly in motel rooms on the way, and had the canopy painted on with a brush literally in the parking lot at appearance judging. Aero-Gloss dries really fast in Lubbock, TX, when it's 103 degrees.

Brett

Good grief, Buck.  How do you remember this stuff?  Only thing I think I remember about Lubbock is that somebody got to meet a state trooper in Texas on the way home.  Oh wait...was that the year the Trivial Pursuit ground the prop down to the spinner on a "flawed" takeoff?

Ted

p.s.  Daddy Fitzgerald's monokoted Nobler was indeed special.  Bill took whatever time it took to do everything perfectly.  Took him all day to drill out a motor mount but they were perfect holes when he was done.  He embarrassed me into buying a full set of number, letter and fraction drills.  Prior to that I had three bits.  A small one for small holes, a big one for big holes and a crooked one for everything in between.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2015, 08:36:14 PM »
Good grief, Buck.  How do you remember this stuff?  Only thing I think I remember about Lubbock is that somebody got to meet a state trooper in Texas on the way home.  Oh wait...was that the year the Trivial Pursuit ground the prop down to the spinner on a "flawed" takeoff?

You were blaming me, without actually saying it, for one of those, until Bill did it too, and the same thing happened a few more times.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here