News:

• April 23, 2024, 07:05:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Suggestion Needed for Enya .090  (Read 1353 times)

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Suggestion Needed for Enya .090
« on: January 22, 2019, 08:34:44 PM »
To the Board Lookers:

As you can see, I've got on hand an Enya .090 III. It's in cherry condition, except drilled for large mounting bolts. I'm appealing for advice and suggestions on what to fly it in. To wit:

1) Could this be used on a beginner's airplane, i.e. something smallish for 40 feet lines or less? This motor's kinda cute, and might not intimidate a youngster who could be coached into giving it a try.

2) Not sure of when this was manufactured. Back in the day, what C/L model did the cats use this mill on? Was there a "perfect match" for it?

Beyond these questions, feel free to cuss or discuss this motor accordingly!

Mucho thanks.

Dave Mo...

It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Suggestion Needed for Enya .090
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 09:08:12 PM »
For a beginner, on short lines, you might consider a SIG Shoestring. But build it fairly light to keep the CG under control. A Buster would work just as well.

For a stunter, I would be tempted to try a Jr. Nobler.

Have you run it yet?

Divot

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 10:16:45 PM »
I was "browsing thru" ---ok, just drooling--the Baxter plans and came across the Coquette design. Can't tell the sizes, but it sure looks nice....

Listing says 35" span with 210 square inches. Just about right.

Divot

Offline Olli-Matti

• 2018 Supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 03:49:26 AM »
I have had two SIG Akromasters with an Enya 09, particularly liked one with brodak uniflow tank and master airscrew 7x4 3-blade prop with 52' lines.

Note that I have 09-IV versions though and they do have exchaust on the right side as yours has it on the left side which could be a bit odd on a profile model.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 08:44:28 AM »

that would be great on a Ringmaster JR ,a smooth flyer just like the big one .make two new plywood pieces and extend them past the leading edge about1 1/2 in and good to go
rad racer

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 12:05:44 PM »
 :)  Kool engine!  As for recommendations, I got silly a few years ago and built a Lockheed SP-2H Neptune from a British plan and mounted two of them, Enya .09's for power.  It was quite a challenging build especially fabricating the fuel tanks!  I just locked the throttles to the full open position.  It was and still is neat to see and hear it in the air although, I have to admit, she spends most of the time hanging on the rack.  In short, step out on faith, take the challenge and build something different and unusual ..... Have Fun With It!!  ;)

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 01:34:18 PM »
If you like the older stuff, the Wee Duper Zilch is perfect for the ENYA 09.

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 09:40:49 PM »
I second the vote for Wee Duper Zilch. Several examples of the WDZ are pictured in the Old Time Stunt section under "Smaller old time planes." 240 inches area, thick airfoil. Walter Umland has a short kit available.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 09:51:50 PM »
I thought he wanted a beginners airplane
rad racer

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 08:35:53 AM »
I thought he wanted a beginners airplane
Hey there Bob!  Man, you are absolutely correct!  For some reason I misread and misinterpreted the intent of his message (line 1).  Dave, Please forgive my old eyes and brain!!

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 03:49:23 PM »
Great comments here!

My original question was a bit ambiguous in the way stated, so fear not Jim. I am looking for a beginner's plane and Divot provided two fine suggestions. In asking about what the early fliers used behind this engine, I am also interested in something with a bit more elegance and performance. To that end, the Wee Duper Zilch and Couquette would fill the bill nicely. And Jim, that USAF ship with a pair of these motors is quite the beauty!

So I'm of two mindsets here, andwi'll resolve them thusly -  if it runs well and survives a trainer, then it'll go onto a WDZ per Bob Z and Motorman or onto the Coquette per Divot. I was quite sold on the WDZ, especially with the Umland short kit. But then Divot had to go and screw it up (ha!) with the Couquette idea. Man is that a nifty looking bird! Is the Baxter plan available?

Olli-Matti: Do you know if the .09 IV has more power than the .09 III? The fact that the IV engine can pull around a SIG Akromaster is impressive.

Bob W: I really wish I liked the looks of the Ringmaster Jr.,  but alas there is no accounting for taste. Maybe if I get a hankerin' for more performance.

Divot: No, the .09 hasn't run under my hand (nor anyone else's from what I can see). I understand that these Enyas are hard starting when new. Any experience on your part?

Thanks all!

Dave...

PS: Current project is fabricating a C/L insert for the carb of a Saito .30 FS in accordance with the Bob Reeves plan.

D...
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 05:00:48 PM »
Dave Mo,

I'd run the little gem and see if you can get along with it. Disclaimer: I have not had a lot of Enyas--I ended up being an OS guy, mostly, except there are always a few Foxes, Coxes, Tigres, Evos, K&Bs, McCoys, Magnums, Mokis, Nelsons, Profis, Vecos, Fujis...and yes, Enyas in the mix.

If it doesn't look well worn on the outside, you better assume it's never been run at all. Check the piston for any scuffing or shiny spots, which might also hint at its history. Stock up on plugs, because it may take a couple. Castor fuel, reduced size prop. And then lots of heat cycles and run time. If it won't stay running on a new plug when the clip is removed halfway thru the first run, that is pretty much a guarantee that it has not been broken in, and that the one you have is pretty tight. If it settles down right away, maybe it has more run time than you'd guess. I can't speak to the .09 in particular, but in general, if you have the patience to get one broken in, it will run well for a long time.

I have a new Enya 61 which uses modern metallurgy and will be a whole different thing. Got the plane about half ready, but the bench is buried in half-finished projects.

Don't blame me for the Coquette--it is all Motorman's fault. He pointed us to that great plans website, so of course I went and looked. And wow, look at all the cool stuff that you could build!  It looks like a going concern now managed by the Mears, so I assume any of those plans are available.

The Akromaster has a lot of potential as well, but more building/skills than the Shoe or the Buster.

Divot

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here