News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:56:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stuntwagon  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Jay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • 1 Cross +3 Nails= 4 Given
Stuntwagon
« on: July 16, 2021, 06:05:26 PM »
My flying buddy Rich Popchock is looking for a Stuntwagon kit.
It's the one plane that would finish his bucket list.
Anybody out there in airplane land have one they would like to sell?
Message me if you do.
Thanks
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.
Albert Einstein

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Stuntwagon
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 07:09:31 PM »
Hi, Jay.
I believe a kit would be difficult if not impossible to find.
I'm pretty sure the kit was made in the late 40s/early 50s.
As far as I know, the Stuntwagon has never been re-kitted but I may be wrong.
Your best bet would be to search this site and possibly find a set of plans.
I had one in the early 90s and it was quite a flyer. Very fast!

Bob Z.

Offline Jim Rhoades

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 08:59:12 PM »
Jay,

There was a repro kit made some years ago.  I had one but sold it at VSC several years ago. I don't recall who made the kit though.  However, Outerzone has plans that can be downloaded and printed at your local print shop.  There is also a sheet with rib templates as the  plans only show the root rib.  The structure is fairly simple and pretty easy to reproduce.
     In 1960 or 62 while stationed in Iwakuni Japan with US Naval Air Patrol Squadron 6 I was approached one day at the base Hobby Shop by someone offering some model airplane items.  These included some tanks and wheels and a Stuntwagon powered by a near nnewFox 59 long shaft.  He had to have $25 to go on liberty!  I almost broke my arm getting my wallet out of my back pocket.  I still have the engine.  I wasn't too impressed with the flying of the model.  It was rather heavy and the leading edge of the wing was quite sharp which gave it rather bad stall characteristics.  I'd suggest rounding the leading edge would help matters as well as making some effort at keeping the weight reasonable.

Jim Rhoades

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 01:03:30 AM »
`Walter Umland was considering a kit run, but there was a very poor reaction to his kit proposal. (He'll make a proposal about making a run of kits to see what the interest is.) No interest, = no kit.

I know he has a set of modern plans, ask him, he might see what the interest is mow.

John Miller
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 09:12:51 AM »
One of these kits sold on Fee Bay a few days ago for $157.50 shipped so they do show up from time to time.

I would check with the better kit cutters to see if they have the ribs and curved parts available to be laser cut as a short kit.  Otherwise send the plans to them and pay for conversion of at least the rib set.

Paul W.

Offline Warren Wagner

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • Bradenton, FL
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 09:37:55 AM »
Jay,

I have a 60 size Stuntwagon all framed up and covered, and it came from a kit I purchased
from Tom Dixon.  The kit was produced with a foam wing.

It's still my all-time favorite control line plane, mostly because they were popular when I first
saw large stunters, and man, were they impressive, with an unmuffled Mac 60 Redhead !!!

Noisy, fast, and exciting, especially to a young kid !

Check with Tom...he'll probably fix you up.

Of course, plans are readily available, both for the 30 size, and the 60 size.

Cheers.

Warren Wagner
Warren Wagner
AMA 1385

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 07:58:41 PM »
I remember Allen Brickhaus telling me the story about flying his Stunt Wagon and the wing separating from the fuselage and fluttering like a butterfly to the ground.  I remember belly laughing as he told me the story.

Mike

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 08:36:08 PM »
`Walter Umland was considering a kit run, but there was a very poor reaction to his kit proposal. (He'll make a proposal about making a run of kits to see what the interest is.) No interest, = no kit.

Yeah, it was a while ago, I had cast my vote to get one but it never came to fruit. Still have my K&B .60 allocated for one.

I know Walter had some serious health issues recently, hope he's doing better.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here