News:

• April 18, 2024, 06:04:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stunt trainer recommendation?  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Ken Deboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • Silk and Dope
Stunt trainer recommendation?
« on: August 01, 2006, 09:48:00 PM »
I'm currently flying a Skyray 35, which is just a little fast for me. I would like to try something different that flies a little slower. Hopefully meets following criteria:

* Thick airfoil. Air in Reno is pretty thin especially in summer.

* Flies good on Brodak 40 or OS Max LA 46

* D-tube wing for warp resistance and ease of building.

* Flapless (???)

* Strong but light (for slow flight ability).

Should mention that I tried a Primary Force/FP 35 and didn't really like it. Felt too light on the lines. I prefer a good strong pull.

thanks,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline Warren Wagner

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • Bradenton, FL
Re: Stunt trainer recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 10:30:12 PM »
Should mention that I tried a Primary Force/FP 35 and didn't really like it. Felt too light on the lines. I prefer a good strong pull.

thanks,
Ken

Ken,

Don't be so quick to reject the PForce and FP35.   That is a great combination for someone at your level.  A local fellow has a couple of those packages, and they are fine fliers.

Line tension is not a function of the airplane design, but a function of its weight (size) and trim conditions.   Without knowing anything more about your set up, I would guess that you are flying TOO SLOW.  Your primary line tension comes from centrifugal force and that depends on the weight of your plane and how fast you are flying.

What are your lap times?   

You need to be around 4.8-5.0 seconds per lap.

If you will give us complete details on your set-up (type of engine run, prop, line length, tip weight, engine offset, lap time, etc.) you can get that PForce trimmed to put a smile on your face.

And during this time, you can start building something larger for your larger engines.

Cheers.

Warren Wagner
Warren Wagner
AMA 1385

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 10:52:27 PM »
Ken,

Don't be so quick to reject the PForce and FP35.   That is a great combination for someone at your level.  A local fellow has a couple of those packages, and they are fine fliers.

Line tension is not a function of the airplane design, but a function of its weight (size) and trim conditions.   Without knowing anything more about your set up, I would guess that you are flying TOO SLOW.  Your primary line tension comes from centrifugal force and that depends on the weight of your plane and how fast you are flying.

What are your lap times?   

You need to be around 4.8-5.0 seconds per lap.

If you will give us complete details on your set-up (type of engine run, prop, line length, tip weight, engine offset, lap time, etc.) you can get that PForce trimmed to put a smile on your face.

And during this time, you can start building something larger for your larger engines.

Cheers.

Warren Wagner
Hi Warren,
The Primary Force isn't mine. It belongs to one of the better fliers in our club who let me try it. I think it's running an APC 10-5 prop, wet 2 cycle, 60 or 62 foot lines (not sure), zero engine offset, don't know tip weight or lap times. It seems to fly nice patterns for the better fliers in our club, but just seems light on the handle to me. Another plane I flew and liked a lot better was based on an RSM Mark 1, nice flying, lots of tension, relaxed... only problem is it's a custom job, wing heavily modified, nothing else remotely stock, and no plans available for the mods.

thanks,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 11:34:00 AM »
Ken,

A couple of things immediately jump into my mind:

First, Warren is right. You need to learn how fast you are going and then learn to adjust that speed to your liking.

Second, don't dismiss the Skyray. You say it's too fast - there are plenty of ways to slow it down. I think it's an outstanding stunt trainer and is as rugged and simple as they come.

Some people will recommend the OS FP 20; mine flew very well with the OS LA 25 and a 9-4 or 9-5 prop. We used anywhere from 58 to 60 foot lines and the plane had a long and productive life.

Personally, I would suggest you stick with the Skyray until you are comfortable with the Beginner pattern. The plane will easily perform those maneuvers and can do the complete stunt pattern if you wish.

Hang in there. It's really fun.  <=
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 04:00:41 PM »
You mention a modified RSM Mark 1, well why not try a stock Mark 1? It will take the LAS 25 or the Fox 35, it has the adjustable lead outs and tip box. Talk to the other flyers maybe they can suggest modifications to suit you.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 08:51:22 PM »
There are a whole lot of good "trainers".  So far, I didn't see the Flite Streak listed as one.  You can do either the ARF or the kit fom Brodak.  An OS 25LA works great on the ones I have seen with this set up.  They were running 10-4 APCs.

A Skyray withthe plywood ribs removed and balsa substituted can easily fly a 500 point pattern with a good pilot.  Either the OS 20FP, 25FP, or LA 25 will do a good job on it.

If you want a strong pull, then you will need to either trim the plane carefully for that or go with a bigger, heavier, set up.

I personnally like the softest feel I can get regardless of the size, as long as I know I have control of the plane.  Stunt flying as you move higher up the ladder will require more and more of the finer muscle control to fly precisely.  So I often trim out line tension.  But everyone has their own preference for line tension, but a strong pull isn't necessary.  y1

And I'm an ex-All ACC linebacker!  **)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here