Author Topic: Stroke  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Stroke
« on: August 06, 2022, 03:09:26 PM »
JUst wanted to check in. I had a stroke 4/22/2022. It wasn't fatal, but scary! Id like to hear from my friends who share this experience, how you are coping.ect . I still visit this site as an admin, just been pre-occupied.. I had to quit flying because my left leg was removed 2015. But I'm still here! Richard Grogan  ~>

Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Stroke
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 03:18:10 PM »
   Hang in there Richard! There have been many stroke patients amongst us through the years. Mark Hughes had a stroke about 10 years ago and has worked his way back to flying expert level stunt and judging at the NATS. I'm trying to remember the name of a guy from the Piston Poppers that had a debilitating stroke and used models as a way to rehab himself and fly at VSC again. Jeff Wellever, I think was his name. Just do whatever the docs tell you to do and get yourself back in the game. The loss of a leg could be over comes to where you could still sport fly.
  Hang in there and keep fighting! We are with you!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Richard Grogan

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 03:50:40 PM »
Thank you Dan! I am having problems taking the little evaluation test I need to pass, so I can take my behind the wheel driving test. I am ready for that, but they want more money I guess, by testing my cognitive skills... I am tired of having my wife haul me around! I seem to be normal, but getting older doesn't help in my recovery.
Type at you later... Richard   
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 09:50:39 PM »
Glad to hear they caught you in time.   When I had mine they said another 20 minutes and I would have been toast.  Followed Doctor advice and getting out to fly.  Then the back problems hit me.  Almost ready to try flying again if I can get over the dizzies.  But they have me restricted, the family, not the doctor.   Seems I black out or go to sleep for no apparent reason.   No care keys unless it is a very short trip.  In my mind I think my brain gets bored if I don't move around every hour or so.  No problems so far working outside, but still limited on time and outside temps.
Did not know you had a leg missing.   If search on hear you will see some guys using swivel chair or like the late Carl Schoope who used a wheel chair.  So don't give up on us. D>K

Also I think a perso needs the will to live and keep going.  I plan on making 100 so I can keep agitating every one. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Richard Grogan

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 11:13:19 PM »
Glad to hear they caught you in time.   When I had mine they said another 20 minutes and I would have been toast.  Followed Doctor advice and getting out to fly.  Then the back problems hit me.  Almost ready to try flying again if I can get over the dizzies.  But they have me restricted, the family, not the doctor.   Seems I black out or go to sleep for no apparent reason.   No care keys unless it is a very short trip.  In my mind I think my brain gets bored if I don't move around every hour or so.  No problems so far working outside, but still limited on time and outside temps.
Did not know you had a leg missing.   If search on hear you will see some guys using swivel chair or like the late Carl Schoope who used a wheel chair.  So don't give up on us. D>K

Also I think a perso needs the will to live and keep going.  I plan on making 100 so I can keep agitating every one. H^^
Thanks Doc! You are an inspiration!! I don't even get a hall pass to drive up to Sonic! I got to move my GT 3000 down the driveway to turn the car around so I could put it in the shade to work on it! wheee! yeah I still work on the vehicles.. I looked at the pilot seat. 525 + 60 shipping. Might get it, but the wife wont let me until I get my driving approved...we'll see!
Thanks guys, this is some helpful insight I really need.
Richard
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 09:39:24 AM »
Richard ..... sorry to hear of your problems ....

I the spring of 2020 I had a series of strokes.  TIA's they called them, but I was still in serious trouble.  After several hospital stays, I finally found help down at Houston Methodist Hospital.  They found my Basilar artery was 70% restricted.  Within a week, I had a stent placed in it.  The pictures below show before and after.

Its amazing what they are able to do now-a-days.  The Basilar artery is right in the lower middle of the brain.  It seems to be a choke point.  Blood comes into it from the left and right and after a short run exits to the left and right.  They snake a line up, past the heart, into the carotid, right turn into the vertebral artery and then a turn into the basilar artery.  This guy goes all over the world doing this procedure, amazing. 

I hope you do well.

Offline Richard Grogan

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 10:45:44 AM »

I the spring of 2020 I had a series of strokes.  TIA's they called them, but I was still in serious trouble.  After several hospital stays, I finally found help down at Houston Methodist Hospital.  They found my Basilar artery was 70% restricted.  Within a week, I had a stent placed in it.  The pictures below show before and after.

Its amazing what they are able to do now-a-days.  The Basilar artery is right in the lower middle of the brain.  It seems to be a choke point.  Blood comes into it from the left and right and after a short run exits to the left and right.  They snake a line up, past the heart, into the carotid, right turn into the vertebral artery and then a turn into the basilar artery.  This guy goes all over the world doing this procedure, amazing. 

I hope you do well.

TThanks Frank! David came by yesterday after Scoby get together (you were missed!) and told me about you. Methodist is where I got fixed up too, needed stent. Thank God for a great 911 team
saved me. Dr. Robinson. Glad to hear you are back on the handle again!Dave said there is a comeback of CL out there. Looking forward to seeing you guys again. I am an AKA, so will be looking at the pilot chair to get back with a handle in hand! Thanks again Frank, I appreciate the encouragement!
[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/i]
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 01:04:32 PM »
Back in April I was taking a nap and had the symptoms of a heart attack. My wife took me to the hospital and sure enough, next day they installed three stints in my heart. On a special diet and have lost 25 pounds. At the gym every other day. And here I thought getting old would be fun.  LL~ H^^

We need an "olde fahrts" section on here to compare scars, nurses, Drs,etc. H^^ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
\
Actually we need an Old Fart's event.  To be eligible you can't have seen the back half of an overhead 8 it the past year. LL~

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline John McFayden

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2022, 02:09:27 PM »
Ya, what Ken said. I would have been eligible for a few years under those requirements.  y1

\
Actually we need an Old Fart's event.  To be eligible you can't have seen the back half of an overhead 8 it the past year. LL~

Ken

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2022, 05:05:49 AM »
\

Ken
I can see the back half of an overhead eight just fine!  Admittedly, that's when I'm lying on my back because I craned back too far and fell over.  It's a good job my flying field is grass...
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2022, 09:20:45 AM »

I hope you do well.

Frank, My sister gets dizzy when she turns her head to either side for a few seconds. Also when looking down. Did you have that problem?

She was recently in the hospital for some (serious IMO) problems but they couldn't find anything wrong with her. I don't think they looked hard enough......cause she came home and had another minor episode. The DR. recommended she not drive for 4-5 days. Hummm

Send me a PM please.

Thank you, Jerry

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2022, 09:22:54 AM »
Back in April I was taking a nap and had the symptoms of a heart attack. My wife took me to the hospital and sure enough, next day they installed three stints in my heart. On a special diet and have lost 25 pounds. At the gym every other day. And here I thought getting old would be fun.  LL~ H^^

We need an "olde fahrts" section on here to compare scars, nurses, Drs,etc. H^^ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Boy Ty, you got that right! I qualify for that one . LL~ LL~ LL~

Jerry

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2022, 01:36:30 PM »
JUst wanted to check in. I had a stroke 4/22/2022. It wasn't fatal, but scary! Id like to hear from my friends who share this experience, how you are coping.ect . I still visit this site as an admin, just been pre-occupied.. I had to quit flying because my left leg was removed 2015. But I'm still here! Richard Grogan  ~>

Great to hear you are recovering.  I've had several apparently very small strokes over the last 2 years.  The brain damage was not very heavy.  Getting back to walking and talking took over a month in the hospital from the last one(mid March).  The only advice I can give is work hard.  Try to excercise everything that was damaged routinely and work hard at it-mind, thinking,  walking(even with a crutch), talking, read a lot, do as much physical excercise as you can.  Best  of luck, we're all cheering for you!

Phil C

phil Cartier

Offline Richard Grogan

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2022, 10:02:00 PM »
[quote author=phil c link=topic=62067.msg642144#msg642144 date=1660160190 Great to hear you are recovering.  I've had several apparently very small strokes over the last 2 years.  The brain damage was not very heavy.  Getting back to walking and talking took over a month in the hospital from the last one(mid March).  The only advice I can give is work hard.  Try to excercise everything that was damaged routinely and work hard at it-mind, thinking,  walking(even with a crutch), talking, read a lot, do as much physical excercise as you can.  Best  of luck, we're all cheering for you!

Phil

[/quote]Thank you Phil. Yes, its alot of work. I read a lot, and try to walk with the AKA and cane. My prothesist will be back over Monday to adjust my bionic leg! I have testing with neurologist next Friday. Hopefully they will let me start driving again. Kinda weird getting the keys taken away after 58 years of driving, without any violations , wrecks, ect..! I'll get it back though. It feels like a punishment for having the stroke! I'm not giving up... Thanks Bro! Richard
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here