News:

• April 25, 2024, 08:21:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Strap Mufflers for older engines  (Read 2974 times)

Offline propjobbill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Strap Mufflers for older engines
« on: November 11, 2006, 05:55:38 PM »

Is there any place to buy mufflers for older engines like McCoy,  Enya, and others that were made before they starter making mufflers for them. I remember when you could buy Tatone mufflers that mounted with straps and were universal.

Is anyone still selling universal mufflers for older planes? And advice or web site addresses would be appreciated.

THANKS

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Strap Mufflers for older engines
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 06:19:23 PM »
Try Scott Riese goes by Sq8s on this forum. He makes mufflers & venturi's see what he says.  sriese5283@aol.com
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 07:33:21 PM »
Jan Holuszko also sells a strap for the Fox 35 that did not have Muffler ears in front and back side of the cylinder, that allowed any muffler that fit a modern fox stunt 35 eo be used.  It is designed such that you have no danger of warping the case if you overtighten the strap screws.
  I have an address, but no E-Mail address

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Annette Elmore

• Lieutenant
    • Lots of UK-related stunt stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 08:34:23 AM »
One of the most monumentally useful mufflers in the world is the old Merco strap on type - fits many engines....

Can be picked up on Ebay quite cheap.

Offline Chris Brainard

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 03:47:03 PM »
You can modify a muffler. The photos show a Veco .19 B.B. with a muffler from an unknown engine with the threaded portion of the muffler that attaches to the engine exhaust stack cut off so that the overall width is the same as the exhaust stack. A drilled and tapped hole on each side where the ears were cut off will hold the strap, which in this case was cut from some scrap .035" thick banding material using a pair of aviation snips. Form it around a dowel of similar size as your cylinder, put a couple of 90 degree bends in the end and use a bolt to pull it up tight, or, if you want to get fancy, use a narrow worm drive band clamp. Cheap, simple, effective and in my opinion, looks pretty good.
Chris

Offline Ken Knowles

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 08:22:13 PM »
I bought mine for an enya .35 from Great Hobbies
http://www.greathobbies.com/index.php
Ken Knowles
Ken K

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 09:04:50 PM »
I've been able to use mufflers made for GMS engines on some of my older engines.  Tower offers them as "parts" for the GMS engines they sell.

Measure the exhaust opening and case width on your engine. Look up the specs on the GMS mufflers on Tower's site and you should be able to find something that will fit.  Check the distance between the mounting holes on the muffler to make sure that's a bit wider than your engine's case.

Perhaps a little grinding with a Dremel tool will be required.  Make a strap to fit.

The best part is the GMS mufflers are very inexpensive.  About $8.00 for one that will work on several makes of .29 to .35 engines.

Joe
Joe Messinger

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here