News:

• March 29, 2024, 04:36:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stooge Question (not Moe,Larry and Curly)  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Stooge Question (not Moe,Larry and Curly)
« on: February 28, 2006, 12:58:37 PM »
If the wind isn't to bad I'm flying tomarrow. Suppose to be darn near 60 in west central Illinois. I bought one of Don Ogrens stooges that he shows in the Jan. Feb. S/N. I've never used one before but looks simple enough, my question is when you are finished with the flight how do you get the plane and lines back to your starting position without unhooking and rolling up your lines everytime? I've got ideas but would rather hear from the experienced stooge users first.  Thanks
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
Re: Stooge Question (not Moe,Larry and Curly)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 02:00:01 PM »
Leester,

After landing you will have to retrieve your plane and walk it back to the stooge.  Yes, you will be dragging the lines and handle.  Before you start dragging, place your handle in a manner so that the lines will stay straight so as not to kink them.  After you hook the plane back up to the stooge, go to the handle shake the lines a little before walking the twists out.  Also, you need to learn to whip your model and land it anywhere you choose.  With practice you will be able to land within 10ft or so of the stooge.
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 04:49:44 PM »
I've heard of flyers putting their control handle inside of a plastic oil container that's been cut in half so when they drag the handle across asphalt or cement it doesn't get scratched up.  If flying with a stooge I would definitely want to have a cell phone handy for emergencies and a first aid kit is always good to have close by.

Offline Bill Hodges

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 07:50:08 AM »
I made up a "handle holder" for stooge flying.  It is just a wooden base with a 16" length of 1 1/2" dowel rod sticking up from the center of the base.  On top of the dowel rod, I placed a u-shaped holder for the handle.  The holder in made of 1/4" ply and has one screw securing it to the dowel so that it can swivel. 

After I land, I place my handle in the holder and then go pick up the airplane and walk it back to my stooge while holding enough tension on the lines to keep them from dragging.  I hate dragging my lines over any surface.

Also, I keep the "handle holder" a safe distance from the circle center so that there is no chance of tripping on it while flying.

Bill Hodges
Bill Hodges
AMA 12450

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 08:52:57 AM »
Bill: That was one of the ideas I had, just wasn't sure how to do it. Any chance of a picture?  Thanks
Leester
ama 830538

Offline fernando torres

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 04:55:07 PM »
A word of advise. Don't land on the stooge! For take- offs only! ;D
FET

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 09:02:51 PM »
Leester that is one of my questions also.  Where is a picture?  Of course flying off grass I don't worry too much about it.  Even when I land close to stooge I still walk the lines.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 11:58:38 AM »
If you fly over grass, bring along a large screwdriver. Shove it into the ground at the place you'll be when you release for takeoff.

After landing, hang the handle on the screwdriver handle. Walk to the model and lift it and the lines clear of the ground. Walk the model back to the stooge with enough tension on the lines to keep them off the ground. Then walk the lines to unwrap twists and inspect condition.

To be sure you stay clear of the screwdriver and the stooge, set the stooge several feet out from where you want the center to be while you fly. Move back to that center in the first lap or so.

A large screwdriver handle is also a good marker to help you stay centered without wandering, as is too easy on an unmarked field.

Over unmarked, paved fields I have marked the stooge's handle position with a claw hammer in a rag. Similar to the big screwdriver, but not as solid when you walk the model back to the  stooge. (Unless the owner might object, you can paint an 'X' with fuel where you want either the flying or launching center.) Many ad hoc fields are unpopulated parking lots, with painted parking slots - select an intersection of those lines if they're there.
\BEST\LOU

Offline Bill Hodges

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 01:06:22 PM »
Leester:

Here are a couple of pics of my handle holder.  At least, I hope they show up.  I am not sure I have figured out how to post photos on this site.  If they don't show up, I will keep trying.

Edit:  Hey, they did show up.

Bill Hodges

Bill Hodges
AMA 12450

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 07:17:17 PM »
Nice idea.  Thankyou.  Russell
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 10:46:23 AM »
I like the handle holder idea.  My stooge(s) are large nails with wire wrapped around them to make two loops for the stooge pin to go through.  I carry a small hammer to hammer them into the ground and put the hammer down right behind the stooge so I can find it again.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here