News:

• April 25, 2024, 04:53:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: stolen airplanes?  (Read 2826 times)

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
stolen airplanes?
« on: November 15, 2018, 05:57:31 AM »
On another thread Randy C. had posted:[quoteThe partner to that engine was in a 55 oz Geo XL for several years before the airplane was stolen.][/quote]

This really got me thinking.  I know that a well-built/well-painted airplane can be very attractive and desirous, but I have never worried too much about them getting stolen.  Our planes are so unique and we are such a small community that you would think that a stolen plane would eventually come to light.  It would have to be stolen by someone outside our community, but then never flown or displayed.  It is easy to imagine that anyone who saw the plane on display, upon meeting a control-line person would say something like: "hey, I saw one of  those on so-and-so's wall."  And from the pictures, Randy's planes look really good so would draw comment if displayed.

So maybe I shouldn't be leaving my contest ship out overnight in my van?

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
Re: stolen airplanes?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 06:32:38 AM »
Thieves are Friggin scumbags!!!!!!!!
Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 07:13:53 AM »
Thieves are Friggin scumbags!!!!!!!!

Trolls are worse, there's more of them.  LL~ LL~ LL~

I'd be flattered if someone stole one of my models.  ;D
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 07:20:23 AM »
I would guess the thief would be thinking it something to sell or pawn.  I still want to believe anyone who knew how to fly the crate wouldn’t steal it. 

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 10:55:19 AM »
I have left my equipment and planes in my Suburban and the Ford many times.   D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 11:03:08 AM »
The thief probably took it, thinking that it was an R/C model. When he/she got it to the Pawn Shop, and they saw that it was NOT an R/C model, it's likely they would neither pawn it or buy it, so it ended up in a dumpster. Sorry, Randy....

Maybe Randy would fill in the details surrounding the theft. Was it left on the flying field unattended, like Howard's lines & handle box? Or was it stolen in a B&E from the house, or from a vehicle?

When I travel to a contest, I try my best to select a parking place where it's unlikely anybody would go to the trouble to break into my vehicle. Since I have a pickup with canopy, I like to back into a spot where I can back up against a hedge or wall, where it would be impossible or uncomfortable to try to pry the rear hatch & tailgate open. Plus, with the way my plane rack is, it would take some time to get the stuff out, and thieves typically won't spend the time. Snatch & run is their style.

The closest I've come to a problem was at a motel in Oregon, during a Regionals. I'd hit the sack early, and a drunk twice came pounding on my door wanting into the wrong room. Nobody knew where I was staying, so I knew it wasn't a modeler. And I'd left Mr. Ruger in the truck, which I haven't done since. If I'd brought it in with my luggage, there would have been a very suddenly sober drunk guy, with a .357 shoved up his nose.   y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 11:35:26 AM »
I have left my equipment and planes in my Suburban and the Ford many times.   D>K

John,

Was it you, someone took your Beech Stag.?
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 11:58:57 AM »
If you are referring to the staggerwing I flew at VSC and several contests, it was not stolen.  It needed some repair and I gave it to Elwyn Aud the last time I tried to fly it.  So far I have not had any planes stolen. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 12:39:07 PM »
Trolls are worse, there's more of them.  LL~ LL~ LL~

So you helpfully provided your off-topic and self-serving comment as an example?

I'd be flattered if someone stole one of my models.  ;D

It would serve them right.

Brett

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 01:18:38 PM »
The Geo XL I mentioned earlier with the Belko engine in it was indeed left unattended at the Cholla Choppers flying field in Tucson AZ.  For that reason I do assume a portion of the blame for the loss of the airplane.

That day, after flying several flights and rolling up the lines I decided to sweep the circles (Asphalt Donuts) with a large broom I carry in my pickup for that purpose.
I didn't want the airplane in the truck during the broom in and out scenario so I simply left it setting in the pits while I did the sweeping.

Most of the people had gone home leaving only myself and Burt Brokaw there at the field.  The weather was getting quite warm by that time and I had worked up a pretty good sweat by the time I finished both circles.  Being a Semi-Old Fart at that time (69 years), I felt very tired and was probably more than a little dehydrated!
At any rate I began to feel a little dizzy and walked to my truck and sat on the tailgate.  Burt had noticed that I was a bit wobbly an came to me  and sat on the tail gate with me.  We talked for a while and I began to feel better but still very tired.  Burt asked if I wanted to go to his house for a while and maybe lie down for a spell!
(Burt lives close to the field, I do not).  I told him no, that I was OK and feeling much better and was going to sit there for a few more minutes and then go home.  Burt left for home, and a few minutes later I closed the tailgate got into the front seat and proceeded to drive home.  About half way there I suddenly realized that my GeoXL and broom were still at the flying field so I turned around immediately and drove back to the field to discover...Nothing!  No airplane, no broom, no one around.
The next day I called everyone I knew that might have been to the field after me but No Avail!  I called most of the local pawn shops within the next couple of days but got no positive responses.

Although there were none there when I left, and returned there is typically a number of teenage kids that pass through the park.  I assumed some of them had spotted the airplane and simply taken it. 

In spite of my, and others inquiries there were never any positive responses!

To my knowledge no other airplanes or equipment have ever disappeared from the field.

That airplane and engine combination was "Magic" and I still miss it!

If I had any sense I'd build another one and use the last Belko engine I have in it!

The engine was precisely like the one Frank showed in his post.  The one I still have is a bit different but similar!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 06:01:26 PM »
Randy, that would be a really painful way to lose a good plane.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 10:51:38 AM »
In 1970 I went flying with my Fox 35 powered Sig Banshee in the trunk of my 1969 SuperBee. On the way home from the field I got involved in a bit of drag racing with some other guys I'd never seen before. The next morning my car was gone. Later that day I got a call from the police saying my car had been found in another neighborhood about a 1/2  hour from my apartment. The theives ran out of gas (lucky for me).The car wasn't damaged except for the trunk lock being knocked out. When I got the trunk open the Banshee and pit box were gone. I kept the SuperBee until 1974 when I sold it for $900 (over 200,000 miles on the clock) I knew then it was a mistake. Still regret selling the car. Didn't care so much about the Banshee as it was too nose heavy and didn't fly very well! PhillySkip

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 12:16:08 PM »
"Didn't care so much about the Banshee as it was too nose heavy and didn't fly very well!"

Everyone knows that Fox 35's are too heavy.

In fact, any Fox product is too heavy, or too light, or too cheap, or too expensive, or whatever else a Fox hater comes up with.   ;D

S?P

Shame about your loss Randy.

Not often one experiences the theft of a C/L airplane. Does that perhaps give you some sort of weird "bragging rights"??  ("Well I had an airplane stole from me!" sort of like us old farts bragging about who has the most aches and pains.)

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 12:20:49 PM »
The thief probably took it, thinking that it was an R/C model. When he/she got it to the Pawn Shop, and they saw that it was NOT an R/C model, it's likely they would neither pawn it or buy it, so it ended up in a dumpster. Sorry, Randy....

Maybe Randy would fill in the details surrounding the theft. Was it left on the flying field unattended, like Howard's lines & handle box? Or was it stolen in a B&E from the house, or from a vehicle?

When I travel to a contest, I try my best to select a parking place where it's unlikely anybody would go to the trouble to break into my vehicle. Since I have a pickup with canopy, I like to back into a spot where I can back up against a hedge or wall, where it would be impossible or uncomfortable to try to pry the rear hatch & tailgate open. Plus, with the way my plane rack is, it would take some time to get the stuff out, and thieves typically won't spend the time. Snatch & run is their style.

The closest I've come to a problem was at a motel in Oregon, during a Regionals. I'd hit the sack early, and a drunk twice came pounding on my door wanting into the wrong room. Nobody knew where I was staying, so I knew it wasn't a modeler. And I'd left Mr. Ruger in the truck, which I haven't done since. If I'd brought it in with my luggage, there would have been a very suddenly sober drunk guy, with a .357 shoved up his nose.   y1 Steve

Steve,

I think shoving it up the other end would've been better!  LL~ LL~ LL~

Jerry

PS: That's why I don't carry mine..............I'd probably use it!

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 05:21:56 PM »
In 1970 I went flying with my Fox 35 powered Sig Banshee in the trunk of my 1969 SuperBee. On the way home from the field I got involved in a bit of drag racing with some other guys I'd never seen before. The next morning my car was gone. Later that day I got a call from the police saying my car had been found in another neighborhood about a 1/2  hour from my apartment. The theives ran out of gas (lucky for me).The car wasn't damaged except for the trunk lock being knocked out. When I got the trunk open the Banshee and pit box were gone. I kept the SuperBee until 1974 when I sold it for $900 (over 200,000 miles on the clock) I knew then it was a mistake. Still regret selling the car. Didn't care so much about the Banshee as it was too nose heavy and didn't fly very well! PhillySkip

Yep! Even with 200,000 on it...if the body was in good shape...and all the numbers matched...Yeah! You made a mistake.   H^^
Norm
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2018, 06:47:01 PM »
This post really get me thinking. Stolen aircraft, engine, car, boat, etc. How about stolen good name. Has anyone ever considered how devastating it is to ( the subject) to steal ones good name only to defend the thief that (by their actions) stole it. I can guarantee you  some readers get it. Some did and told me so.     

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2018, 07:12:07 PM »
Randy,
Whitely had a couple of stunters stolen over the years in Fountain Valley, I think his homeowners took care of it. Both of his were new... one had never been flown!
Chris...

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 11:29:26 AM »
Randy,
Whitely had a couple of stunters stolen over the years in Fountain Valley, I think his homeowners took care of it. Both of his were new... one had never been flown!
Chris...

Wow... I don't think he ever mentioned that!  He did give me one of his old Shoestring Stunters to fly after my Geo XL was stolen.  It actually turned out to be a great flying airplane.  I put a PA 65 in it and it came alive.  I flew it for quite a while until I got another plane flying.  In fact I've built another Whitely Shoestring now and just waiting to get it finished (painted).

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2018, 11:39:04 AM »
Wow... I don't think he ever mentioned that!  He did give me one of his old Shoestring Stunters to fly after my Geo XL was stolen.  It actually turned out to be a great flying airplane.  I put a PA 65 in it and it came alive.  I flew it for quite a while until I got another plane flying.  In fact I've built another Whitely Shoestring now and just waiting to get it finished (painted).

Randy Cuberly
A 65 in a Shoestring Stunter?  Are we discussing the same profile kit that has been out forever?  Mine flew great with a OS 20FP........

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2018, 11:41:06 AM »
A 65 in a Shoestring Stunter?  Are we discussing the same profile kit that has been out forever? 

No, this one is appropriate for a PA65.

Brett

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2018, 11:55:26 AM »
   No, this one is appropriate for a PA65.

Brett
Thanks Brett.  Wasn't aware of another variant with the same name.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2018, 01:03:13 PM »

It would serve them right.

Brett
[/quote]

Now that there’s funny, I don’t care who you are.
And again, Brett demonstrates why he is the biggest smartass in stunt.

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2018, 02:32:01 PM »
Thanks Brett.  Wasn't aware of another variant with the same name.

They are scale/semi-scale models, based on the full-scale prototype, but otherwise completely different designs.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here