News:

• April 18, 2024, 08:10:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sterling Yak 9 controls  (Read 3364 times)

Offline Lloyd Oliver

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Sterling Yak 9 controls
« on: November 15, 2020, 10:46:34 AM »
Hi There, first post on this forum.
I'm resurrecting an old Sterling Yak 9 built quite a while ago.  I found it in a pile of motorcycle parts, rather abused and neglected (even tortured).  It was missing the entire rudder, and has had several repairs made to it and needing more.  To the point, I need to know the flap horn control position locations and the elevator horn length and hole locations since it is broken of flush with the elevator at present.  I've had no luck finding plans with this detail.  Seems a good idea to start with Sterling set ups, rather than guess at what I imagine will work ok.

About me.  I last flew C/L in the early 68 (NATTC Memphis) combat (Voodoo) and for stunt (Nobler wings with a magician, *I think* fuse mashed together 'cause I found both wrecks in the trash can).  Earlier I had built and flown 1/2 A Fireball, some plastic cox .049 planes, and a CG Buster with a McCoy 35.  Finding no place to fly C/L after Navy service, I built and flew R/C at club fields.  I'm a fairly accomplished builder who really doesn't like foam airplanes (foam core wings being the exception).  Besides building my own, I've gotten a lot of crashed airplanes, and partially built abandoned planes, that I like to restore to flight status.  Fleeing California, I bought a 5 acre property in AZ, and have graded a 70 Ft C/L circle on it.  Still have a Voodoo, and am now trying to restore the Sterling Yak 9 and convert to electric, to fly in my own circle. 
Thanks for reading!

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Sterling Yak 9 controls
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 11:06:19 AM »
   Hi and Welcome Oliver;

As for the Yak, it came with basically the same set up as the Ringmaster and will suffer from the same effects if built stock. Do you know what size bell crank is in it?  You could just go to the hobby shop or on line some where and get the longest R/C plastic control horn that you can find, like at least 1" long and maybe up to 1 1/2" long. That should have plenty of holes for you to choose from to get the control throws that you want. If the model balances where it should, you won't need more that 25 degrees of throw, or about 3/4" up and down. Put a fair lead rod guide on the pushrod about half way down the length of it. It may have a two inch bell crank, because I think that is what the instructions called for, and Sterling didn't always include hardware in their kits. Older rescued models like these may have been built from kits put out at a time when the Walker U-Control patent was still in effect and they could not use that name or the bell crank type control system.  Look up thread about Ringmaster controls on the forums here and you will find lots of info that will apply to the Yak and also the Mustang. They came out at the same time and are all Old Tyme Stunt legal.

Where in Arizona are you located. There are many members here on the forum that live in Arizona, especially in the Tucson area. You will want to watch the forums for information about  the Vintage Stunt Championships held there at Silver Bell Park. Tons and tons of info on just about ANY subject that you could think of along with coverage of most C/L disciplines here also, so learning to use the search function is most helpful.

Type at you later,
      Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 11:21:27 AM »
Lloyd,

Welcome to this forum.

There will probably be many more responses here to your request for linkages for your Sterling Yak.  For the condition of your model, I suggest that you do not bother with operating flaps.  Just attach them so that they are fixed.  The airplane at most is a sport flyer capable of basic maneuvers.   Making the flaps operable will only make a slight difference in its maneuverability.  I am sure that there are people on this forum that have experience with these Sterling kits, whether it be the Yak or the profile Mustang that Sterling offered, either with or without operable flaps.  They are basically the same configuration.

As Dan suggested, there is an active group in Tucson with a really good flying site.  Also some people in Phoenix.  There are others scattered around the state.

Keith

Offline Lloyd Oliver

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 12:37:27 PM »
Thanks Keith and Dan,

The Yak Came with flaps, and rather ugly, torn cloth hinges.  Certainly am inclined to keep them working using DuBro hinges.  But don't know which hole in the flap horn is for elevator or bellcrank.   I just don't know the deflection ratios w.r.t. the elevator.  I have nylon horns already in my stash 'o parts.  I just don't want a super flinchy plane at my first retry as C/L pilot.  The bellcrank is about 2.25 inches at the leadout attach points. It's still inside the sheeting, so a bit hard to see.  The handle I have is an old E-Z-Just with 5 inch line spacing, using 60 ft lines.

I'm in Chino Valley.  Below is the work so far.  Wing shouldn't immediately bank to inside of circle, now.  I refit the T.E. of the wing, took out the warp and fixed the broken pieces.

Cheers,

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 01:37:50 PM »
Lloyd,

The Sterling Yak 9 was a good flyer, it was about 1959 or 60 when all the guys were building 35 size profile models. Frank had a Yak 9, Nick had the Mustang, Keith had a Ringmaster and I had a PDQ Super Clown. We all had either McCoy or Fox 35s. I still have the same Super Cown I restored years back, it's tired having been through a few crashes, I use it for training the grandkids.

Good luck, stay safe,

Steve

Offline Lloyd Oliver

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 03:47:16 PM »
Steve, those Plans were just what I needed for reference. Thanks, greatly.

Now I see what was intended, I'll feel more comfortable during my retraining.

Thanks ALL for your input.  If I'm able to keep standing during a full flight, I always admired the Nobler, and will probably build one of those for stunting.  Then use the Yak for training others.  That's the dream, anyway.  Glad to hear its a good flyer.  Though I can't believe this one flew well with all the issues it had with the wing.  I've already downloaded about 20-30 plans for stunters that look pretty good.  So, maybe one of those is next?  I got lots of wood and building supplies from various flea markets, garage and estate sales.

Any recommendations for the YAK landing gear?  Its missing and I'll have to make one.  I see that Brodak has a wing mount gear conversion available.  I have several fixed gear blocks and leg leftovers from other planes (that got retracts installed) to adapt if that really helps out landings.  Won't be too hard to add that with the wing in present condition.  My landing area will be bare dirt.

Cheers All!

Offline Lloyd Oliver

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 03:58:02 PM »
I'll add that I'll use an EFlite 15 motor, or the one from an Apprentice R/C Trainer.  I'm not new to electrics, just the ones for C/L.  Already have  4S 2700 Batts , and ESCs collected.  Rather than a timer, I have a Spektrum receiver and TX to control the motor, as I might need to land rather than keel over during a fight.  Ha Ha.   Prop will be a 10-6 or 11-5.  Do pusher props and using reverse motor rotation really make a great benefit like I've read about?  Does seem like the opposite rotation would tend to make it bank right from torque rather than into the circle.

Cheers!

Offline Lloyd Oliver

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 04:00:10 PM »
Motorman,

I don't really understand why replacing the bellcrank is of great benefit.  Care to explain?

Cheers,

Online Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 04:32:01 PM »
Lloyd,
Send me your email address and I will put you on the VSC email distribution list

Jim Hoffman
Windswept4@cox.net

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 05:07:00 PM »
Jim, back in the early 60s several of my flying buddies and I built Sterling Yaks and P-51s. We powered them with Fox .35 Combat Specials and used them for "friendly" combat. They all had flaps as per the wire joiner shown on the plan and they flew well with the crude flap connection. I have a recently built Yak also with flaps (1:1 movement ratio) but I used the Lucky Box solution for joining the flaps as the T.E is tapered. Good luck with yours.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Lloyd Oliver

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 05:56:32 PM »
If you're confident it's a good bellcrank then leave it in. I'm sure you're aware it's a key safety item.

Motorman 8)

What can I say? The plane has obviously been in several crashes.  The bellcrank may be one of the few parts not broken.  So, there's that.   But, maybe there's a chance with that wing warp and banking into the circle that maybe it never had centrifugal force to test it.  I hooked up the handle and tried to pull out the bellcrank and it didn't budge.  I think I'll go with it.  Besides, I've gotten fairly good at fixing models.   ;D

Cheers,

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 07:40:14 PM »

What can I say? The plane has obviously been in several crashes.  The bellcrank may be one of the few parts not broken.  So, there's that.   But, maybe there's a chance with that wing warp and banking into the circle that maybe it never had centrifugal force to test it.  I hooked up the handle and tried to pull out the bellcrank and it didn't budge.  I think I'll go with it.  Besides, I've gotten fairly good at fixing models.   ;D

Cheers,

In between the time when you flew C/L back in the day, and today is that we have learned a lot about control system geometry.  You have already mentioned that you don't want to end up with a " super flinchy" model on your return to C/L flying. The 3" bell crank would help slow down the controls. The bell crank has to move farther for the same deflection than a 2" unit would. Having a long control horn on the elevator helps a lot, and also having a handle with adjustable line spacing is another adjustment to help make the model less sensitive. If you use the 5" spacing of that EZ Just handle on that small 2.25" bell crank and short horns, all you will have to do is THINK about moving your hand and you will get a loop out of it! If you stay with the small bell crank, make the control horn about 1 3/8" long from the elevator surface to the end, and make the hole spacings for the push rod as close together as you can . The holes should line up with the elevator hinge line. Start out with the push rod all the way out.  Get yourself a handle that can get you line spacing that goes from about 4" down to 2". Set the spacing at about three inches to start with for the first flights to give yourself a chance. I have made posts recently about fixing up a Craig's List rescued Ringmaster that had a 2" bell crank in it and that is about the dimensions I set things up at, and it is pretty stable. You don't want elevator deflection to go too far too fast and be approximately 20 to 25 degrees or so, and make sure the airplane is balanced where it should be or just a bit forward of that, and you should get something that is stable in pitch but controllable. We have all been down this road before many times ourselves! We all went through phases where we thought it would be best to have a lot of control at our disposal and have it really fast! But we have learned that is NOT the way to go. If you get the elevator throw to go too far too fast it tends to quit being an elevator and becomes an air brake, will stall the airplane and then you know what happens. It is amazing how fast the airplane will almost come to a stop! If you decide to change the bell crank too a 3", you will have the adjusting options at your disposal to make more or less sensitive as needed with these same adjustments. Lots of info on the forums here on control geometry.  I would glue the flaps on also. The model is pretty short coupled, and will turn pretty good as it is, and you will only have the elevator to worry about, especially the way you intend to use this airplane. Keep it simple.  Good luck and have fun!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 11:44:14 PM »
Steve, those Plans were just what I needed for reference. Thanks, greatly.

Now I see what was intended, I'll feel more comfortable during my retraining.

Thanks ALL for your input.  If I'm able to keep standing during a full flight, I always admired the Nobler, and will probably build one of those for stunting.  Then use the Yak for training others.  That's the dream, anyway.  Glad to hear its a good flyer.  Though I can't believe this one flew well with all the issues it had with the wing.  I've already downloaded about 20-30 plans for stunters that look pretty good.  So, maybe one of those is next?  I got lots of wood and building supplies from various flea markets, garage and estate sales.

Any recommendations for the YAK landing gear?  Its missing and I'll have to make one.  I see that Brodak has a wing mount gear conversion available.  I have several fixed gear blocks and leg leftovers from other planes (that got retracts installed) to adapt if that really helps out landings.  Won't be too hard to add that with the wing in present condition.  My landing area will be bare dirt.

Cheers All!

Lloyd, mounting the landing gear in the wing will improve ground handling, takeoffs and landings immensely. You don't need much - I glued a piece of plywood to the leading edge (which I notched) and to the spar, then secured the gear to it.  Planked the lower side of the wing between the 2 ribs ... I often flew on somewhat rough ground, the gear held up very well.  We're not talking a heavy airplane, mine usually ended up about 25-26 ounces with a Fox 35 as I recall.

Have fun!  Model below started life as a Sterling Navion kit, handled really well on the ground.

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2020, 10:35:15 AM »
Hi Lloyd, Welcome back! Its always a pleasure to find a retread coming back to Control Line fun! As to the Yak, I've recently acquired a "New redesigned" Yak by Brodak and am flying it with an LA .25 on 60' lines. It performs the entire PA Stunt routine with ease! I haven't had this much fun with anything since I was 14 and that's been 68 years ago!

As to your linkage question regarding the Yak, I'd try to put the flap pushrod in the TOP hole and the elevator pushrod in the next one down so not at all like what the plans posted show. This idea is purely my own opinion and not meant at all to walk on anyoneelses's suggestion! just keep an open mind and experiment on your own until you've found your own sweet spot! This little gem will afford you many more hours of pure fun and if you do happen to poke it in the ground it is of robust enough strength to live to provide fun another day!

Happy Yaking!

Phil spillman
Phil Spillman

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2020, 12:10:20 AM »
Let me build on Phil's post.  Lots of really fond memories of the Yak and Mustang.  I think there was a Zero in that line as well, might be wrong.  We had more fun than the law allows flying slow combat with them.    I was stationed in Korea in the mid 70's and the base had a wonderful hobby shop complete with tools and lots of workbenches and a circle just outside the shop.  We had all of the Yaks, Mustangs and Ringmasters we could build.  I flew McCoy 35 powered Yaks and a F-4 pilot who's name I have forgotten flew Mustangs.  We had daily, weather permitting, matches that drew quite a crowd.

All of the Sterling planes suffer from stall issues if over controlled.  I built both flapped and non-flapped with equal success.  If I had to choose I would go with flaps with a 1:2 ratio and about 30 degrees elevator.  That little bit of flap helped in stalls.  Overcontrolling in combat was an every flight thing.  I restricted the elevator to 30 because they stalled when I tried to use more.  As to LG - never used them, all hand launch.

Ken

AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2020, 12:26:13 PM »
... Lots of really fond memories of the Yak and Mustang. ...

Ken

Roger that!  One of these days I'll tell the story of Crash Combat in the '50s ...
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Lloyd Oliver

• New Pilot
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2020, 11:10:41 AM »
Thanks all for comments.

I'm going for flaps and landing gear.   Will limit the elevator to 30 degrees and a little flap.   I did take off the center sheeting to expose the 2 inch belcrank.  There just isn't room for a 3 inch belcrank, and I can adjust the ratio with control rod hole placement.  Am just about at the recovering/refinishing stage.  Pretty sure the old paint was dope after the Monokote was put on and the film didn't stick well.  Thinking about using some of my old parachute silk for covering.  A mylar film covering might be lighter and I have plenty of that, too.  But, I never tried putting that over a doped finish.  I wonder if that would even work?  Sanding off the dope won't be a chore I'll enjoy.

I'm having trouble with this site's ads freezing up my browser.

Cheers,

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2020, 02:50:27 PM »
Hi Lloyd, Welcome back! Its always a pleasure to find a retread coming back to Control Line fun! As to the Yak, I've recently acquired a "New redesigned" Yak by Brodak and am flying it with an LA .25 on 60' lines. It performs the entire PA Stunt routine with ease! I haven't had this much fun with anything since I was 14 and that's been 68 years ago!

As to your linkage question regarding the Yak, I'd try to put the flap pushrod in the TOP hole and the elevator pushrod in the next one down so not at all like what the plans posted show. This idea is purely my own opinion and not meant at all to walk on anyoneelses's suggestion! just keep an open mind and experiment on your own until you've found your own sweet spot! This little gem will afford you many more hours of pure fun and if you do happen to poke it in the ground it is of robust enough strength to live to provide fun another day!

Happy Yaking!

Phil spillman

I'll back up Phil Spillman here.  I built a Yak kit and built it into a Spitfire. Phil(1's) control hookup works better than what's shown on the plan.  The plane really can't use a lot of flap, maybe about 25°.  The elevator pushrod goes in the lower hole giving lots of fine adjustment if you use a plastic horn.  It needs more elevator travel than flap travel.

The YAK seems to turn a little better than the Mustang, but that might be just variation is wood densities.  These were not big airplanes and are sensitive to excess weight.
phil Cartier

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2020, 02:57:20 AM »
... The YAK seems to turn a little better than the Mustang, but that might be just variation is wood densities.  These were not big airplanes and are sensitive to excess weight.

I had an embarrassing number of Ringmasters, Mustangs, Yaks, Navions, even the F-94 Starfire and concur - the Yak definitely turned better than the others in my experience.

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2020, 10:58:32 PM »
Hi, Lloyd-

'sorry to be so late to this party, but here's my $.02 worth. The Sterling Yak-9 was my first "big" model, which I built around 1960-61 from a kit, with no wood substitution and only the information given in the plan instructions. I used the movable flaps, just as shown in the instructions, and I'm pretty sure I used a 3" aluminum Perfect bellcrank. There never was an original full-sized plan, and I have found aspects of later plans and kits that did not conform to what I found in my original box.

As you'll see from the attached plan (from the instruction sheet), the horns were die-cut plywood. I used them and attached everything with Ambroid. You will also see from plans and picture that the flaps are not as shown in later plans, and I find that a nice kit prepared for me by a great kit producer were larger and of different shape.  My original flaps seem to be between the extremes and, to me, look better.The photo is of the actual kit flap from a Sterling kit I bought later in high school. I replaced it with better wood, when I completed the plane forty years later. My kit flap connector was a very stiff wire with only a single bend in the center. I have since learned that using two bends really decreases the twisting of the flaps, due to the swept forward hinge line. In fact, I have seen a couple with pinned hinges, whose flaps have no centering torque and actually drop of their own weight, when the model is stationary.

I built mine strictly according to what was printed and powered it with a $5.98 McCoy Red-Head .35. I probably got lucky ('didn't use a jig and knew nothing about balsa being too heavy), because it flew very well on 52' lines. I knew nothing of any "stunt pattern" back then and only did lazy eights and wing-overs. Surprisingly, it turned fairly tight. The plane met it's end when I crashed it for the second time trying to do lazy-eight vertical eights with maximum height of only 60-70 degrees and the outside loop at the bottom. The wild part for me was that I actually accomplished a couple of those. My point is that despite being built from a stock kit with no replacement wood, it flew well. I may have lucked out on the wood.

The drawback of the design is that it is short-coupled; that is, it has a short tail arm. The negative flap pitching moment fights the elevator, which needs to be on a longer arm. So this is not ideal for a flapped model, and I'm guessing that it would fly just as well with the flat flaps held stationary, which BTW were shown by the NACA in one report to be superior in maximum lift coefficient to airfoiled flaps (contained in wing contour) at neutral. They needed better drag figures, of course, and those data favored the streamlined shape. As far as control ratios are concerned, why not just set it up with a bit more elevator than flap deflection and play with the handle spacing and other ratios to get it to fly to your own preferences? I doubt that anything "normal" will be dangerous to the plane.

Anyway, I really loved my Yak-9 for fun days at the flying circle. The silver one below is the one that took 40 years to complete.  The wing tips are modified (heavier and smooth), although they are the same in plan view.

Offline Lloyd Oliver

• New Pilot
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2020, 12:16:59 PM »
I have some handyman projects that are delaying work on the Yak.  But, I wanted to thank Mr. Krauss and Mr. Spillman for their report and comments.  My Yak had the entire rudder/stab missing.  So, those outlines helped a great deal.  I'm thinking the rudder was 1/8 or 5/32 thick.  Can anybody confirm before I cut them out?

I'm using nylon control horns for both flap and elevator, and pinned hinges.  As I mentioned my Yak has a 2 inch bellcrank well mounted and too close to the center spar to use a 3 inch bellcrank.  I can only assume that the bellcrank pivot is where intended, and the leadout position are as well.  I know this sets the angle the plane will fly towards the outside of the circle and effect line tension.  However even with a 2 inch bellcrank. the control rod placement on the bellcrank arm determines the control rod range/distance of motion, as well as the control horn hole selection distance from the control surface.   I guess what I need is the relationship between the lead out travel distance to elevator deflection, to have a good set up for initial flights and getting the aircraft to survive my piloting.

Seems a lot of people have fond memories of the Sterling Yak.  But, this is the first I've encountered. 

My first "big" plane was a Carl Goldberg Buster, that I put a McCoy 35 on.  My "field" was the acre lot next door with 2-3 Ft tall weeds and a take-off runway from a picnic table.  This actually worked pretty well for flight training as the weeds cushioned bad landings and most mishaps.  Flew 1/2 A first of course. A Fireball, and then a P-40 that would slack the lines every single time a wing over was attempted.  Most of the time I was able to dash quickly enough to regain control, but eventually the day of flying was over, as the glue need time to dry overnight.  The Buster met it's demise while flying at dusk and an errant bird flew right into the control lines, which ripped out the bellcrank and made the plane dive straight into the ground.  That plane depleted my summer funds, and I think I got more interested in guitar playing after that.  ...until the Navy sent me to NATTC Memphis, TN for Airmen training, and they happened to have a flying circle and a workshop area to build.

Cheers,

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2020, 01:12:14 PM »

Seems a lot of people have fond memories of the Sterling Yak.  But, this is the first I've encountered.

You will soon be added to the list of those with fond memories.  Don't fret the 2" bellcrank.  It will work fine but if you want to put in a 3" you can move the center hole back 1/2" without creating a problem.  It is the leadout position, not the bellcrank pivot that governs things.  You don't want too much flap movement.   I would try and get a 1:2 ratio 2:3 at most.  Too much flap and it stalls (mushes) real bad.  Keep the speed up and it is great.  I used them for slow combat and, unlike the real things, it will whip a Mustang every time.

Have fun - ken #^
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2020, 03:08:14 PM »
Lloyd,

Neither plan drawing shows where it should balance. The leadouts were shown parallel at the width of the bellcrank, pretty much perpendicular to the fuse centerline. They did that a lot back then... Not since - that tell you anything?

The model should balance about 20% back of the leading edge of the "mean chord." ('Mean' being "average" of root and tip chords.) That, too,  is not perfectly correct since the trailing edge sweeps more than the leading edge. Should be pretty close if you just average the tip and root chords, then go out from the fuselage to where the chord is as long as that average. 20% of that chord should be safe (not freaky twitchy from tailheaviness, nor a sluggish dog from noseheaviness.) Adding a 'little' weight to the light end is worth it.

And, when you hang the model by the leadouts* the fuselage should aim slightly down - say 3° to 5° - to allow for the curve of the lines due to their drag. That should 'aim' the pull at the CG. If pull aims behind the CG, the model will want to yaw out, and vice versa.

*presuming the leadouts are the same length from the bellcrank...

And, yes, I too have had the Sterling Yak-9 experience and agree with the favorable comments. Welcome to the tribe!
\BEST\LOU

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2020, 03:37:22 PM »
Lou, I am sure you know this, but when figuring the chord of a wing you must include any flap, either stationary or movable, in you calculations to determine the MAC. D>K
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2020, 11:37:14 PM »
Lloyd:

I just looked into my old Sterling Yak-9 box and discovered enough wood left to give you the following dimensions. You can scale the tail sizes using ratios from the span being labeled as 38". The + and - thicknesses are probably due to milling inaccuracies or humidity.

Control horn hole positions from hinge axes:

Flap horn: 9/16" and 7/8"
Elevator horn: 11/16" -   (slightly less)

Wood Thicknesses:

Flap: 1/8"+
Stab, Elevator, and Rudder: 5/32" -
Ribs: 3/32"
Center Rib: 5/32"
Fuselage 17/32"
Plywood Doublers and Control Horns: 1/8" Plywood

My directions are stored elsewhere; so I'll need to look up their recommended bellcrank size.

SK

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2020, 12:29:38 PM »
Found my YAK 9 instruction sheet in the shop under several plans.  I too will take a look. D>K

Just came from the shop and looked at the assembly sheet of the YAK 9.  I read the fine print on the control hook up.  The bell crank if I remember right was a 3 inch with holes for lead outs, pushrod and bolt hole.  It states bolt must be 2 1/4 inches from back of trailing edge.  Power they stated on original was K&B 19.  No mention of balance point in the printed word or the side view that was on the plan.  They also stated using the flaps as shown for maneuverability.    Mine I had was powered with McCoy 35 Redhead and flew great for me as at that time I was doing loops and eight's.   But, what did we know back then.

Also no provision for control adjustment for the amount of throw. H^^
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 01:36:02 PM by john e. holliday »
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2020, 01:27:21 PM »
I inherited this one from a builder who was prolific, well-respected, and SMART (he got the heck out of Kalifornia).

The green thingie is a 6” scale that was the pinnacle of high-tech during my stint as a Government Cog for Los Angeles County.

I hope these pictures adequately show the control linkage and stock landing gear, and that they upload.

Paul W.

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2020, 01:28:41 PM »
...and that they upload.

Paul W.

IT WORKED!!!  I gotta buy a lottery ticket.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2020, 02:52:08 PM »
I inherited this one from a builder who was prolific, well-respected, and SMART (he got the heck out of Kalifornia).

The green thingie is a 6” scale that was the pinnacle of high-tech during my stint as a Government Cog for Los Angeles County.

I hope these pictures adequately show the control linkage and stock landing gear, and that they upload.

Paul W.

Looks good.  You might want to rethink the pushrods and Kwik-Links but other than that, you are going to have fun!  On the Kwik-Links - if they are the ones with the solid connection (vs pressed with a split in it) they are probably OK .  I have had two fail with the pressed ones probably due to the pressure on the controls opening the split till they slipped.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2020, 03:06:37 PM »
John. to your post #25-

Of course, I know to include flaps if they're there Sorry I forgot to mention it.

Good to hear from you - it's been a while...

Happy Turkey Day, and a better year next... (Don't ever say it couldn't be worse. That's daring Fate to prove you wrong...)

\LOU
\BEST\LOU

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2020, 08:17:22 AM »
I left a stunthangar message for Lloyd that I was able to answer his original question above. I hope he got the control-horn info. If anyone knows him personally, you might let him know.

Offline Lloyd Oliver

• New Pilot
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2020, 09:57:03 AM »
Finishing up adding 1000 square feet to my workshop, and that has left no time to work on the Yak.    There's lots to think about from recent generous posts. And, Serge's dimensions will be used in my restoration/refit.  I used his pics to make a replacement Rudder pattern.  Zoomed in til the fuse dimension matched and then taped thin paper to the screen and penciled the outline.  I now have a pattern to transfer to a 5/32 balsa sheet.  Rudder missing problem solved!

Still a bit confused about the 3 inch bellcrank suggestion.  My pivot is 3 1/8 inches back from leading edge and pretty solidly mounted.   And this allows my present 2 inch bellcrank leadouts to align perfectly with the square die cut leadout wire holes factory stamped into each rib.  Going to a 3 inch means relocating the pivot and making new leadout wire relief holes in all the ribs, as well as relieving material from the spar for clearance.  So, either the factory got it wrong, or this plane was never intended to have a 3 inch bellcrank.  Further, I can't see that it matters, given that you can select an actuating arm position to have exactly the same pushrod movement with a 2 inch as can be obtained with a 3 inch by selecting an arm hole nearer or farther from the bellcrank pivot.  Its a geometry thing.  What DOES matter is the leadout wire movement ratio to the elevator deflection amount.  The way it was, is that the outermost hole was used for the pushrod on that actuating arm.  Currently, I plan to make that join a Z bend so I an can move it in or out to suit my level of 50 years ago of currency expertise.  That and the use of big nylon control horns on flap and elevator should give me the control deflections necessary...eventually. Ha!

I found some LG wire in my stash that looks like it might go in the wing.  Still have to check for prop clearance to be sure they're long enough.  I can't remember what the gear came with....  I know it was a purple low wing R/C from the 70's.  .25 size.

Big thanks to all for their contributions and interest in this project.  It is appreciated.
I should get back to the bench, today.  I think...

Cheers,
Lloyd

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2020, 11:48:51 AM »
I would stick with what you found that suits the kit rib holes. Larger bellcranks can have less control forces and less inaccuracy with wear, but whatever was stock for the kit should suit the control horn measurements. So I'd just make sure that the control hardware is not prone to failure and go with whatever measurements suit the plane. My original Yak is nearly sixty years gone, and with it whatever bellcrank I used. It was probably a stock item in the Perfect product line, and I think you'll adapt to whatever ratios you come up with anyway. Enjoy!

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2020, 02:58:39 PM »
Suggest you add a connection to the inside edge of the horizontal stab.  That way you can attach a third line and saber-dance it!

Offline Lloyd Oliver

• New Pilot
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2020, 05:48:44 PM »
Suggest you add a connection to the inside edge of the horizontal stab.  That way you can attach a third line and saber-dance it!

Sorry, I don't understand this. ???

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2020, 07:10:56 AM »
Sorry, I don't understand this.

By running a third line to the tail you can yaw the nose of the plane outward (by pulling on the third line) thus creating a throttling effect.  So, pull the third line hard, hit the handle to turn the plane vertical and let the plane hang by the prop.  Saber-dance!

Offline Lloyd Oliver

• New Pilot
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2020, 10:15:18 AM »
By running a third line to the tail you can yaw the nose of the plane outward (by pulling on the third line) thus creating a throttling effect.  So, pull the third line hard, hit the handle to turn the plane vertical and let the plane hang by the prop.  Saber-dance!

Ah.  Back in 69, I build a Flying Flounder, that would "sabre dance" with just the two lines and wagging the elevator while prop vertical.  I would sort of lie in wait in the circle about a foot off the ground, for the other plane to come around, then lunge at his streamer.  I had trouble finding willing opponents after this demonstration.  I built it mostly for combat, but it was just too easy to cut my own streamer off, as it would also spin on it's lines with about a 6 inch elevation drop per "loop" revolution.  It was really a pretty silly airplane.  But, it brought out lots of smiles.

Cheers,

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here