News:

• April 30, 2024, 03:34:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Who designed the Sig Skyray?  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Who designed the Sig Skyray?
« on: February 22, 2016, 11:04:26 AM »
Title says it -- who designed the Skyray?

I'm wondering because I've built two 40-sized planes now, the aerodynamic design of which is basically to blow all the Skyray dimensions up to match a set of Phil Cartier Psycho wing cores, then make the airplane look like something sorta scale.  They have both more or less flown off the board, with few bad habits.

I can't take the credit for the flying ability -- I'm wondering who I should point fingers at if anyone asks.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
Re: Who designed the Sig Skyray?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 11:10:09 AM »
That would be Mikey Pratt.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 11:24:08 AM »
He did a good job of it!

Thanks for naming names.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 12:36:46 PM »
Same airfoil as the Flite Streak. Just a coincidence?

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 02:00:19 PM »
That would be Mikey Pratt.

Yep, Mike Anderson is correct.
The Skyray 35 comes from a slow combat model I designed back in the 70's.  Mike Gretz designed the 1/2a Skyray which is a really fun model to fly.

The origin of the airfoil came from a good friend that was always in the top 10 MACA flyer back then (who knew Joe Ambrose)?  I'm sure it is close to other models designed back then as well.  Joe gave me one of his ribs to use on my unnamed slow combat model.  The NACA 16% was a good choice and very popular .  The nose & tail length were changed on my slow combat model (which are the same as my Skyray 35).  It was a very robust model with spruce spars and it reminds me of a watch (takes a licking and keeps on ticking).

Later,
Mike Pratt (AKA) Mikey

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 02:15:38 PM »
I love the Skyray.  I bought mine for $10 from my nephew, complete with 20FP, and then flew it for a good part of a year while getting from Beginner to Intermediate ("should I just rip the nose off and bring you the engine, Uncle Tim?" "NO!  Bring me the whole plane!").

The Cartier-winged planes I'm building now are basically an attempt to be a little bit bigger and a little bit more indestructible than the Skyray at the price of a bit more ugliness.  So far they seem to be doing that job well.
AMA 64232

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 02:29:57 PM »
I love the Skyray.  I bought mine for $10 from my nephew, complete with 20FP, and then flew it for a good part of a year while getting from Beginner to Intermediate ("should I just rip the nose off and bring you the engine, Uncle Tim?" "NO!  Bring me the whole plane!").

The Cartier-winged planes I'm building now are basically an attempt to be a little bit bigger and a little bit more pindestructible than the Skyray at the price of a bit more ugliness.  So far they seem to be doing that job well.

Hi Tim,
Phil is great guy and he comes from Minnesota too!  We knew each other in the past and met at some of the contests in the Midwest.  He was always a very good flyer.  He was mostly into combat back then and a handful to fly against.

Later,
Mikey

Offline Guy B Jr

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 11:15:30 PM »
Tim,
Please share your work product. Thanks.
Guy Blankinship

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 12:01:54 AM »
Tim,
Please share your work product. Thanks.

Done!

This is the one that really seems to work well.  http://stunthanger.com/smf/building-techniques/build-cartoon-scale-mooney-mite/

This one has a minor bad habit that I haven't completely cured, but I may yet get it ironed out: http://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/test-pig-3/

Both are Phil Cartier wings, "Cartoon Scale", and built to slightly expanded Skyray dimensions.
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here