News:

• April 28, 2024, 10:49:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NATs appearance judging  (Read 3656 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
NATs appearance judging
« on: July 23, 2012, 08:22:50 PM »
Guys,
First congrats to Derek on winning the concours award. With all the discussion on BOM and appearance points how about a listing of the appearance points for all the contestants that built and finished there own models. It seems we never get to see the final results. Can someone that was there post a list of appearance points awarded or a link to were they are posted.

Best,       DennisT

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
Re: NATs appearance judging
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 09:41:11 PM »
I would love to see that too.

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline decamara

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 11:09:40 PM »
Can someone that was there post a list of appearance points awarded or a link to were they are posted.

This is a great way to admire all the hard work these guys have bled into their craft.

I'd like to see what the latest "bar" is to even attempt to aspire/dream towards.

Thanks
Doc Saldivar

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 04:03:42 AM »
By definition, any model that was presented for appearance judging was built and finished by the flier.....just as it has always been.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 08:29:30 AM »
Why are the results of this part of the competition so secret? We know the front row (19 points) results, but what about the rest?

Best,    DennisT

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 08:38:47 AM »
Why are the results of this part of the competition so secret? We know the front row (19 points) results, but what about the rest?

Best,    DennisT
I don't think it's kept secret.  When you see pictures from Appearance Judging just count backwards from 19 from the front row (we didn't have a 20 pointer this year).  I'll be up front here and say my 10 year old Shark got 14, which I was pleased with. 

James
AMA 491167

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 09:48:33 AM »
It’s not a kept secret. The planes are laid out in order of points awarded in rows.  The judges/workers then record the scores for each of the pilots.  Then the pilots come in and pick them up.  Once they are picked up there is no way to really know how it worked out for everyone individually.

The recorded score is entered onto the score sheet just like each of the other maneuvers in the pattern. 
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 09:51:47 AM »
If you get a photo of the appearance judging after it is done.  Start with row one, 19 points.  Each row back should be one less point.  If there are 20 rows the last row may or may not be 1 point.  Would be nice to see what the lowest point for appearance was.  At local meets I have received 8 points for what I would have given myself maybe a 3.   But, looking at the scores that possible 12-15 point difference would make a difference in placings.   I can even remember the year Todd Lee wound up second because of appearance points.  His was because his number one plane ws trashed just before the NATS and he had to go to a plane that had some time on it.  But, Jr, Sr and Op means you have to have the whole pckage together to win that great big Walker Cup.  Congrats to all that participated. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 10:42:17 AM »

I realize it is not a "secret" if you were there, I just like to see the impact of the appearance points and what different contestants were able to fly around or not. If the appearance score was recorded to be added to the score sheets shouldn't PAMPA have a list of the scores by contestant and event that was used? Could that list be posted either here or on the PAMPA web site?

Best,     DennisT

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 10:48:07 AM »
This "row" method is a good way to do it. It "shames you" into having to build better. If I end up on the last row, I will never hear the end of it from Jose Modesto. LL~
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 10:52:08 AM »
Like has been said, the appearance points awarded is no dark secret.  It is just that nobody has ever bothered to take the scores that have been compiled for tabulation and post them somewhere.  For posting, that becomes no small task because we are talking about 60 to 80 airplanes (has been more in the past), getting the score associated with the airplane and putting a name to that airplane.  (For the tabulators, it is a bit easier because they are given a list with the appearance points by AMA number which translates easily to the score sheets.)  Also, if you are looking at the pictures of the final placing of the models in various rows, just be aware that there might be more than one row of 17 point airplanes, and 16 point airplanes and so forth.  Normally, the appearance judges will place placards at the end of each row with the appropriate numbers on them.

Keith

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 11:16:24 AM »
My experiences at the NATS have been that the Appearance Points judging was very good and fair.   Usually there is a breakdown (at least sometimes) that will show up in one form or another in Stunt News.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Eric Viglione

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 01:00:30 PM »
It just occurred to me that Noel Drindak wasn't present, and I was not handed a technology survey form to fill out this year while in line for appearance judging. 

I can only conclude that this means one of my favorite post-Nats feature articles will be missing from Stunt News.

Bummer.  :(

EricV

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »
It just occurred to me that Noel Drindak wasn't present, and I was not handed a technology survey form to fill out this year while in line for appearance judging. 

I can only conclude that this means one of my favorite post-Nats feature articles will be missing from Stunt News.

Bummer.  :(

EricV

Hi Eric,

That WILL be a bummer!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 04:15:37 PM »
Nats or local, I understand the practice to be awarding points from 11 to 20, thereby giving the builder "something for the effort" vs an ARFer.   As well it should be.
Paul Smith

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 04:30:13 PM »
Nats or local, I understand the practice to be awarding points from 11 to 20, thereby giving the builder "something for the effort" vs an ARFer.   As well it should be.

Actually, the range for appearance points is 0 to 20, according to the rulebook.

Keith

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 07:52:59 PM »
Like has been said, the appearance points awarded is no dark secret.  It is just that nobody has ever bothered to take the scores that have been compiled for tabulation and post them somewhere.  For posting, that becomes no small task because we are talking about 60 to 80 airplanes (has been more in the past), getting the score associated with the airplane and putting a name to that airplane.

It's trivial.  The tabulation program prints a list sorted by contestant name.  I think it's OK that nobody publishes it.  Appearance is only half as important as the score for takeoff and level flight, and nobody cares about a compilation of takeoff scores.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Advertise Here
Tags: NATs 

Advertise Here