News:

• May 23, 2024, 03:43:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sanitizer  (Read 465 times)

Offline Mike Hazel

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Sanitizer
« on: March 17, 2020, 05:25:52 PM »
With some of the various shortages in the store, here's an alternative for one....  The recommendation for sanitizing has been with a fluid of at least 60% alcohol content.  This means glow fuel with no more than 20% nitro should work really well.  Even better would be the standard formula Jet speed fuel.   (sorry, I couldn't resist)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Sanitizer
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 05:30:49 PM »
Nitro isn't good for you -- but FAI fuel should work, and leave your skin moisturized.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 06:01:06 PM »
I know this is probably tongue in cheek, but it should be said that Methanol is a very nasty toxic chemical to put on your skin. If you're going to make a sanitizer then Ethanol is a far better choice. In many parts of the world it's sold in bulk as Methylated Spirit. Should be an equivalent in the USA. The name depends where you live, and the label should tell the story. Ours is 96% Ethanol with the remainder being a bittering agent with water. So mostly it's no more harmful than say Beer. A good recipe for a sanitizer is seven parts of such Methylated Spirit to three parts water. Apply it in a spray bottle to surfaces. This recipe has been used in Chemical and Biological Labs for decades.

A better choice of a chemical might be Iso Propyl Alcohol (aka IPA). The 99% solution is much kinder on the skin that the stronger Alcohols. Available in paint and  fibre glass shops.  Also mix with water.

Extract from an MSDS for Methanol is attached below.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 06:12:38 PM »
Nice for some humour, Mike, but not so nice if someone actually does it.  Enough methanol could soak through the skin to do damage such as turning the lens of the eyes white.

Ethanol and isopropyl alcohols are both pretty cheap.  I recently read to use about 1/4 of the various tanning gels mixed with alcohol to get a thin, cosmetic-type mix that is easier to apply.  Still kills virtually all germs if you use enough to keep the skin wet for several minutes.
phil Cartier

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 06:18:25 PM »
Vodka is the best sanitizer, and you can lick the excess of your fingers.
Jim Kraft

Offline richardm

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 06:36:17 PM »
Soap for cleaning, Ethanol for drinking, methanol for burning.

Self isolation, tell 'em you fly model airplanes, that keeps them away VD~
Richard Mc Fadden

Offline Mike Hazel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 07:09:25 PM »
OK guys,  you are right.  Methanol be bad on your skin, so don't do it!  I knew that so perhaps a joke about it maybe not appropriate.  (yes, save it for burning in engines!)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 08:53:08 PM »
"A better choice of a chemical might be Iso Propyl Alcohol (aka IPA). The 99% solution is much kinder on the skin that the stronger Alcohols. Available in paint and  fibre glass shops."

I never liked India Pale Ale (IPA)...now I know why!  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 01:30:41 PM »
Vodka is the best sanitizer, and you can lick the excess of your fingers.
LL~ LL~  Jim Beam and Jack Daniels for the "connoisseurs" and Wild Turkey or Ol' Grandad for us "po' folk"!!   LL~ LL~

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here