News:

• April 18, 2024, 07:00:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spectra Lines sticking  (Read 1514 times)

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
Spectra Lines sticking
« on: May 22, 2020, 05:09:35 AM »
Hello
My old favorites a set of 60ft yellow 65lb Spectra lines are now faded to white after much flying and are a bit oily from my caster covered hands. They start to bind/stick after about 4 loops (I know to do equal inside and outsides but my sons don't always). Otto , Max, Alina and I have all used this one set for our 25-35 sized models and had a lot of use out of them.  I have subsequently made up many other sets of Spectra lines for most of the models we fly where steel is not required.
 Can silicone spay , wax or car polish or some other lubricant help as the lines age or have they reached their end of life when they are no longer slick like new lines?

Thanks Gerald

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Spectra Lines sticking
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 05:20:09 AM »
Armorall might work.
Give it a try.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 06:26:27 AM »
These lines are the coming thing but you likely hit upon the major problem we'll have.  I wipe my steel lines with a paper towel and alcohol after every flight.  Each time the amount of black gook I wipe off amazes me for just one flight.  How do you get the crud off the spectra?  Maybe the combat guys have that figured out-or just change lines often.  You wouldn't want to treat them with something that will stick to them, soak in and make it worse.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 07:31:55 AM »
I thought part of the charm of Spectra was cheep.  Replace often.   D>K
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 08:12:29 AM »
Guess we’ll have to put up a line drying rig out in the yard.....

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 10:34:47 AM »
If you got that much use out of them just throw them away. I go 2 seasons with Spectra Combat lines and toss them regardless. They're cheap enough not to worry about cost. IMO.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 06:33:58 PM »
These lines are the coming thing but you likely hit upon the major problem we'll have.  I wipe my steel lines with a paper towel and alcohol after every flight.  Each time the amount of black gook I wipe off amazes me for just one flight.  How do you get the crud off the spectra?  Maybe the combat guys have that figured out-or just change lines often.  You wouldn't want to treat them with something that will stick to them, soak in and make it worse.

Dave

I've flown one set of Spectra lines the first time I made the FIRST set of Spectra control lines about 12 years ago.  They still meet pull tests and haven't broken any strands.  They still are mostly white.  Nothing much sticks to them unless someone steps on them in a muddy field.  Then a rinse with soapy water will clean them up a bit.
phil Cartier

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 04:21:47 AM »
Hello

The lines that were sticking 2 years ago are still serving fine after cleaning with detergent as I had fuel oil on them from my oily fingers when winding them out. More care handling them and no further problems . Most of my combat spectra lines do not last like the stunt ones for obvious reasons but are much more long lived then steel for combat as they don't turn into curly springs. Yes they are cheap to replace now and readily available compared to replacing steel currently (IN NZ).

Regards Gerald

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 06:26:51 AM »
Gerald,
Thanks for posting the follow-up information, it will help debunk false information about Spectra lines. I fly the FINS 40G brand of Spectra line. It is a very smooth line, thinner than most others out there for the same LB Test rating. I think the smoothness also helps keep them from sticking. For knots I use the method posted in the video on Adventures in Spectra thread, attach the line clip with a double Larks Head. For my 35 size ships I use FINS 40G 45LB Test line.

Best,   DennisT

Offline aj bagg

• 23 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2022, 07:12:11 AM »
Wash your spectra lines in dilute Murphy's Oil Soap right on the spool. Let them soak awhile, rinse, blow off with air hose. Then let them dry in the open. Like new. Murphy's also cuts castor film on planes and leaves them clean and shiny.

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2022, 03:02:01 PM »
ag
I used to fish Lake Taupo and it's stream mouths for Rainbow and Brown Trout many years ago. I agree , wash the line in mild detergent - possibly oil soap. But unroll them into a 20L bucket. Taupo has micro pumice in the water , the only way to wash it off - or Gerald in your case with your lines - the oils and gunk on the lines, would be to unfurl them and gently swish em about in the bucket then stretch out on the fence to dry. Perhaps try line dressing for cleaning and lubricating the fibers. You might be surprised. It made a heck of a difference to shooting your line for those monster trout. I'm about to try some on my steel lines. I think cleaning with a tissue every flying day would be good practice - as is a daily line pull test as we have both found out eh Gerald. LL~ Get over the C19 soon my friend. Mine thank god was somewhat mild.

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2022, 01:51:55 PM »
aj bagg
Apologies (not ag)
Doh  ~>
John C

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2022, 01:20:52 PM »
Gerald, I've done a bit of online looking. Biff the old ones out mate . You can now buy new stuff online for peanuts you can get half a Km of the new 8 strand, tough as nails, resistant to wear, grot and waterproof. The technology in this stuff has come leaps and bounds in the last 5 years. 63lb stuff is only 0.4mm....17thou. Make new ones and keep em clean every flying day with a damp cloth wipe. Hopefully -chocks away next weekend.
Cheers
John

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2022, 02:10:07 PM »
Hello
My old favorites a set of 60ft yellow 65lb Spectra lines are now faded to white after much flying and are a bit oily from my caster covered hands. They start to bind/stick after about 4 loops (I know to do equal inside and outsides but my sons don't always). Otto , Max, Alina and I have all used this one set for our 25-35 sized models and had a lot of use out of them.  I have subsequently made up many other sets of Spectra lines for most of the models we fly where steel is not required.
 Can silicone spay , wax or car polish or some other lubricant help as the lines age or have they reached their end of life when they are no longer slick like new lines?

Thanks Gerald

That's not really a surprise; when the wax in line wears out, it doesn't protect the individual fibres anymore and the surface of line becomes fuzzy. Because of that, friction goes up (and strength starts going down).
Maybe you could use hard carnauba was or similar to re-wax the line but it doesn't remove the fact that the surface of line is already been damaged. So you cannot expect that they become like new again.
I haven't used Power Pro for years, there are much better quality lines (both fibre and braid better) available for our use (free flight). But there is a clear connection between colour treatment and mechanical properties (flex/strenght). White lines are always the best, when other parameters remain the same. I guess that's because white lines have less wax in them. But then, white lines seem to be less strong against abrasion.
I'd say bin them. L

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2022, 04:24:19 AM »
The really old 65 lb Maxcurato 'test' lines in question are still better then the new 9 strand 65lb Fins I made up to replace them. The Fins has more stretch and feels like it has more drag in the air. These original lines have cleaned up well but were test lines for our rule change that made Spectra legal for sport flying in NZ so I kept them going to see how they would age as some flyers doubted they would last in the sun etc.
Yes there are many choices on Spectra brands and the way they are manufactured, making for many new products to try/test.

Regards Gerald

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2022, 06:15:10 AM »
Gerald,
What type of FINS lines did you use? I have found the FINS 40G line (https://www.finsfishing.com/FINS40G-p/fns40g.htm) superior to any of their other lines. It is very smooth. For the same LB Test rating it is thinner and less drag then the similar LB Test PP Maxcurato line. Seems although all Spectra line is strong enough for our needs some are smoother and rounder than others. We are still trying different types from different manufactures. For me the advantage of using Spectra is to get less drag and weight (therefore less tip weight needed) with the required safety margin and stretch no more than it would be with stainless steel cables. The FINS 40G fit that requirement.

Best,   DennisT

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2022, 06:09:35 AM »
Hello I have measured my 65lb Fins40G lines and my 65lb Maxcuatro in a similar manner and the Fins is indeed bigger in diameter see attached pictures. It also feels thicker in your hands and looks bigger attached to a model see pictures too. Note the Fins 80lb is again larger then the Maxcutro 80lb but Fins gives a different breaking strain of 81lb on the 65's and 98lb on the 80lb line and they measure the line diameter 'squashed'. With this difference in mind 45lb Fins is probably a better match for 65lb Maxcuatro see https://www.finsfishing.com/FINS40G-p/fns40g.htm
Need to do some more test flying between them but my test pilot (my son Otto) is still getting over covid and was not keen standing outside in our winter testing lines today after a few flights.

Regards Gerald

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2022, 08:36:38 AM »
Gerald,
Checking the charts the FINS 40G - 65LB Test is listed as 0.011" diameter. The PP Maxcuatro 65lb is listed as 0.153" diameter. Can not tell from your measurements what the actual measurements are but seems you got them backward? The FINS 40G should be less drag. I flew both brands of the 40LB-PPM; 45LB-FINS. I tested them on my electric Ringmaster. The FINS 40G used ~4% less amp for the normal flight time. Basically, when you fly them you will see that the lines will bow more with the thicker PPMaxcutro lines. Not sure if there is much difference with IC but for electric, less drag allows smaller battery pack which gives less dead weight to haul around.

Best,    DennisT

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2022, 05:53:45 AM »
Dennis
I have rechecked all my measurements and not all manufactures measure their lines the same way and Fins seem to squash theirs to get them smaller . Think I will do a fresh post on this subject with the results of checking my various Spectra lines so others can see my findings as some were surprising!

Regards Gerald

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2022, 06:50:53 AM »
Gerald,
It would be great if you could do some flying tests and report on the line bow with different Spectra lines of the same or very close to the same LB Test rating. I agree line diameters vary most of the information I have seen on the Fishing forums have line diameters very close to the manufactures but they don't indicate what the testing procedure is. For us we want less weight to reduce the amount of tip weight needed (I have found that you can reduce the tip weight between 1/3 and 1/2 the amount needed for SS cable lines), lower drag (to reduce battery pack capacity needed for electric or fuel load for IC) and equal or better stretch for smooth control. My flight tests show the FINS 40G line meets this compared to the PP Maxcuatro line. It will be interesting to see how your tests compare.

Best,    DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here