General control line discussion > Open Forum

Spectra Lines sticking

<< < (4/4)

Dennis Toth:
Gerald,
What type of FINS lines did you use? I have found the FINS 40G line (https://www.finsfishing.com/FINS40G-p/fns40g.htm) superior to any of their other lines. It is very smooth. For the same LB Test rating it is thinner and less drag then the similar LB Test PP Maxcurato line. Seems although all Spectra line is strong enough for our needs some are smoother and rounder than others. We are still trying different types from different manufactures. For me the advantage of using Spectra is to get less drag and weight (therefore less tip weight needed) with the required safety margin and stretch no more than it would be with stainless steel cables. The FINS 40G fit that requirement.

Best,   DennisT

GERALD WIMMER:
Hello I have measured my 65lb Fins40G lines and my 65lb Maxcuatro in a similar manner and the Fins is indeed bigger in diameter see attached pictures. It also feels thicker in your hands and looks bigger attached to a model see pictures too. Note the Fins 80lb is again larger then the Maxcutro 80lb but Fins gives a different breaking strain of 81lb on the 65's and 98lb on the 80lb line and they measure the line diameter 'squashed'. With this difference in mind 45lb Fins is probably a better match for 65lb Maxcuatro see https://www.finsfishing.com/FINS40G-p/fns40g.htm
Need to do some more test flying between them but my test pilot (my son Otto) is still getting over covid and was not keen standing outside in our winter testing lines today after a few flights.

Regards Gerald

Dennis Toth:
Gerald,
Checking the charts the FINS 40G - 65LB Test is listed as 0.011" diameter. The PP Maxcuatro 65lb is listed as 0.153" diameter. Can not tell from your measurements what the actual measurements are but seems you got them backward? The FINS 40G should be less drag. I flew both brands of the 40LB-PPM; 45LB-FINS. I tested them on my electric Ringmaster. The FINS 40G used ~4% less amp for the normal flight time. Basically, when you fly them you will see that the lines will bow more with the thicker PPMaxcutro lines. Not sure if there is much difference with IC but for electric, less drag allows smaller battery pack which gives less dead weight to haul around.

Best,    DennisT

GERALD WIMMER:
Dennis
I have rechecked all my measurements and not all manufactures measure their lines the same way and Fins seem to squash theirs to get them smaller . Think I will do a fresh post on this subject with the results of checking my various Spectra lines so others can see my findings as some were surprising!

Regards Gerald

Dennis Toth:
Gerald,
It would be great if you could do some flying tests and report on the line bow with different Spectra lines of the same or very close to the same LB Test rating. I agree line diameters vary most of the information I have seen on the Fishing forums have line diameters very close to the manufactures but they don't indicate what the testing procedure is. For us we want less weight to reduce the amount of tip weight needed (I have found that you can reduce the tip weight between 1/3 and 1/2 the amount needed for SS cable lines), lower drag (to reduce battery pack capacity needed for electric or fuel load for IC) and equal or better stretch for smooth control. My flight tests show the FINS 40G line meets this compared to the PP Maxcuatro line. It will be interesting to see how your tests compare.

Best,    DennisT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version