News:

• April 25, 2024, 06:43:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spectra knots, one more time  (Read 3855 times)

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
Spectra knots, one more time
« on: June 06, 2019, 11:38:11 AM »

In case anyone missed it, Brodak's Fly-In rules allow Spectra lines in all stunt events. (the following editorial is solely the opinion of the writer) WOOHOO! WOOHOO! WHOOHOO!

Each knot I tie is different from the one before because of an obsessive desire to find a quick easy way to tie two lines, with split rings, the exact same length. What finally hit me was that the first three knots are free and the fourth is where you earn your keep.

The knot used to tie the rings on the first line is a surgeons knot with two wraps around the ring and twelve wraps around the line. It's worked and cinched tight with some Armourall as a lubricant. The second line is begun by tying a ring on in the same manner. Getting the last ring on to the exact length as the first made up line is the trick. The first completed line is stretched out between two fixed points and the second is tied off mounted in the same fixture. A double wrap around the last ring and set with a square knot gives the exact length and is then backed up with another surgeons knot. I then singe the loose ends with a flame or soldering iron.

Ara

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
Re: Spectra knots, one more time
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 12:10:42 PM »
Hmmmmm.....
If I were going to use Spectra lines, (and I’m not), I would skip the split ring and tie directly to a line clip. One less piece of hardware the lines could “fetch up” on.
I have seen the light, and it’s powered by a lipo.

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 12:55:50 PM »
Hmmmmm.....
If I were going to use Spectra lines, (and I’m not), I would skip the split ring and tie directly to a line clip. One less piece of hardware the lines could “fetch up” on.

I dunno, rings tied on with a neat looking knot give a 'finished' look to the set. Tying the lines directly to the clips eliminates the option of changing clips to adjust line length.

Ara

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 07:05:26 PM »
It would be good to try new terminations on a 5ft piece of line pull test it to breaking.  Slipping shouldn't be a problem for any knot, if it is pulled up solidly.

Unofficially the AMA has looked at using the modified surgeon's knot tied using a doubled line.  The extra loop and the extra line in the knot helps it pull up snugly and cushions the line against one strand bearing all the load when the plane gets jerked somehow.
phil Cartier

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 07:09:06 PM »
Bout time!!!

I have been on steel lines since the age of seven. Time for something different and better. I am going to Spectra's even if it means I can't fly any AMA contests. Going to hook up with Jim Svitko, and let him get me squared away.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 11:46:04 AM »

Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 01:03:56 PM »

Will that is my preferred method, tying a double loop that can be used on any AMA recommended connector. No way I'd use a split ring on any airplane. Split rings can and will open. Ask me how I know.....
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 08:10:59 PM »
Followed the video, tied up a set of 80# x 63' to matching length very easily and first try with no drama & used them Monday at Brodak Fly In.  These loop ends are suitable for use with hardpoint handles & mix/match clips.

THANKS for the video.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 08:18:14 PM »
Oval fishing terminations are awesome on one end.  Direct to the clip on the other.  Best of both worlds.

Phil

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 02:04:31 PM »
        Should I trim the three lines that serve no purpose after the knot has been tied?

Thanks

Frank

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2020, 03:15:11 PM »
Hello Once pulled up and tight they are not needed as the knot will not move if you have did as instructed. I normally leave 1/4 " or then melt them at the very end so they don't fray but if not careful you can burn too much or damage your new lines doing this so hold them in a way I burn my fingers first!.

Regards Gerald

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 08:44:18 AM »

Hello:

I have a problem with the line being too limp to hold its form while tying this knot.  Is there some way that I can make the line more ridged and hold its form while tying this knot? I tried water but that was not the answer.  I am using 50 lb. test line.

Tia,

Frank

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 09:29:34 AM »

Hello:

I have a problem with the line being too limp to hold its form while tying this knot.  Is there some way that I can make the line more ridged and hold its form while tying this knot? I tried water but that was not the answer.  I am using 50 lb. test line.

Tia,

Frank

Pull the line through a bar of soap a few times. That will build up in the fibers and give it some body. My Mom used to do this with a block of bees wax when doing some sewing, but I think soap may work for this and will rinse out and not affect the not. wax may not let the knot synch up tightly enough.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 01:33:17 PM »
     Thanks Dan:

The soap may wash out and yield a secure knot.

Frank

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2020, 03:11:23 PM »
Thread it through some 30# fly line backing and you can use a granny knot. Other wise it's impossible to get equal length lines.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2020, 11:03:44 AM »
I've never flown controline with Spectra but I've tied thousands of knots with it on the boat.

A few things we've learned:

Never cut it with knives or scissors. Get one of the hot cutters they sell at good tackle stores.

Without a doubt, for tying directly the best knot far and away is the palomar knot.

When we tie directly, we never trust the knot on it's own, we glue it.

Chuck
 (BTW, if you fish offshore and want to attach a leader we find the FG knot works the best and it's profle is nice in that if you use a wind-on leader it will go through the guides.)

AMA 76478

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2020, 01:23:23 PM »
Thread it through some 30# fly line backing and you can use a granny knot. Other wise it's impossible to get equal length lines.
If Spectra passes this round we will have to get Granny to lobby the board to let her knot be used in competition.  Last I heard she let her membership lapse. LL~ LL~
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2020, 11:29:51 AM »
      Hi Dan:

Thanks for rhe tip re. using soap to add body to the line when tying a knot.  I tied a set of lines today with the soap added an it worked very well!  Much faster than using steel lines.

Stay well,

Frank

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here