News:

• April 16, 2024, 11:57:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Speaking of Drones.....  (Read 1103 times)

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Speaking of Drones.....
« on: February 10, 2019, 07:51:22 AM »

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Speaking of Drones.....
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 08:56:36 AM »
Wow.  Wonder where this falls under aviation law?    ???
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 09:05:43 AM »
Wow.  Wonder where this falls under aviation law?    ???

I was wondering the same thing John.   When I was still living in Paducah, Kentucky years ago, a neighbor had a one man gyro that he took off in his yard.  You would hear the thing crank up and then he would come up above the trees and take off.  I don't think he had any license of any kind. 

Mike

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 09:32:49 AM »
Just saw on my t.v. channel guide some crazy channel is showing Drone Racing. Who says they will never catch on.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 10:28:28 AM »
A hell of an accomplishment for a young lad.

Glad I never put down drones or drone pilots.

Interesting that this drone industry is growing in leaps and bounds an CL is...

Oh well.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 01:35:55 PM »
   If it carries a pilot, it is not a drone and becomes a rotor craft. As mentioned, lots of gray areas here and lots of potential danger. All he needs is for one motor or rotor to go hay wire and he is knee deep  trouble. If he was just playing around on private property, that's one thing. Taking it out and over flying other people's property, public roads and people is asking for trouble.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 02:15:06 PM »
I had a 1980s Rotec Rally 2B Sport Ultralight

Got assigned from Fort Hood to Germany...German and USA definitions of Ultra lite were enough different I decided to store mine....

Point is ====we do not know, from this video, if he got it certified... But I do know Germany does have rules and standards and like most things European- the penalties for non compliance are very strict
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:38:35 AM by Fredvon4 »
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 10:49:41 PM »
Personally, I think the FAA got it right on ultralights when they essentially said, 'Eh, go ahead and kill yourself if you want to.  Just don't do it over a populated area where you might take someone with you..."  No, I don't want to see people running out there and killing themselves.  I do want to see people have the freedom to experiment, and have the freedom to do something stupid if they wish.  I believe in Darwinism.

Now, I don't think the FAA got it right on the 254 pounds and 5 gallons.  Being a fat guy, I cold use a 400 pound or so empty weight with 10 gallon allowance.  Max and stall speeds I can live with.

Getting back to the kids in the video.  I think they're very foolish to fly that thing the way it's designed.  No redundancy for safety.  No shrouds for the blades.  And it's pure idiocy to fly it around other people where someone besides themselves could get hurt.  But, I'd defend their right to be idiots, so long as they don't take anyone with them...

Mark

Offline Doug Burright

• Commander
  • Legacy, Brodak kit
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 11:29:18 AM »
Just try to get an American bathtub to fly. That would be a feat! And, they are built in, already. (Feet) Ha ha! Claw feet. Those tubs weigh 250 lbs+.
I will build it. It's gonna be really difficult to find me with an ARF. I know every bit of my airplane!

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 12:59:11 PM »
There was a guy in Salina Ks. a few years ago that built and ultra light using a bathtub. He crashed and died in the crash. He was an experienced pilot and R/C flyer. Although He was a better full scale flyer than R/C. He used to fly over the R/C field and do aerobatics in a small homebuilt.
Jim Kraft

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 01:18:52 PM »
Drone nemesis!
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 08:05:56 AM »
I physically shudder every time I see a photo of a raptor and a drone.... too many finger nicks from 10,000 Rpm sharp propellers....No way the poor bird comes away without damage
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here