News:

• June 06, 2024, 06:11:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Got a phone call from Amazon this morning....  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Got a phone call from Amazon this morning....
« on: November 27, 2019, 11:12:33 AM »
They gave me a phone number to call to confirm/deny an order for $89-ish, which I didn't write down. Went to my Amazon Prime account and no such order was made. My guess is that it's a scam. I figure that if I called their number, they'd want me to give my password and username. FYI...DON'T do it! It has SCAM written all over it.   '' Steve

PS: Probably a fund raiser for one of the political parties?  LL~
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Got a phone call from Amazon this morning....
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 11:48:18 AM »
They gave me a phone number to call to confirm/deny an order for $89-ish, which I didn't write down. Went to my Amazon Prime account and no such order was made. My guess is that it's a scam. I figure that if I called their number, they'd want me to give my password and username. FYI...DON'T do it! It has SCAM written all over it.   '' Steve

PS: Probably a fund raiser for one of the political parties?  LL~
How did Amazon get the number to call you?  I just had about $14,000 worth of bogus orders placed through Prime.  Fortunately, I keep only what I need in the bank attached so they were rejected.  As far as I know Amazon does not use double verification like PayPal so this does have SCAM written all over it.

AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 12:05:18 PM »
Actually, I've bought very little from Amazon, but got 6 Trochilus 4M58 dash cams (after my September incident with the hit & run driver) and a replacement for my sunshade that got crushed by torrential rain that same night. A year ago, I ordered a fuse block for the truck, and that's about it. My US Bank Visa card gets charged for that.

Just got a call from "the computer refund department"...seems that I have two years worth of AV due me, but the company went out of biz. The scam is, I'm sure, that they want to credit my credit card or do an electronic deposit into my bank account...sure they will! I told the (E. Indian) guy to just mail me a check and hung up.  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 01:06:02 PM »
How did Amazon get the number to call you?

Guess what: it wasn't really Amazon
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 03:22:20 PM »
Maybe it was an AMAZON?
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 04:01:47 PM »
How did Amazon get the number to call you?

It wasn't Amazon and the scammers just use phone lists that have everybody on them.  That's why you get calls from "Bank of America" even though you don't bank there, etc.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 04:31:00 PM »
  My father in law got Jacked yesterday for 500 Clams.  20 years cgo Gene Martine told me he screens every single call he gets.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 05:03:52 PM »
These days, it is unfortunate, but you have to assume every call is a scam.  There are so many it is hard to keep track.  Warnings of these scams are issued from time to time but I guess some never see these warnings and get scammed for big bucks.

So far, the scam calls I can remember are:

IRS is going to arrest you for not paying taxes.
Microsoft has detected a problem with your computer.  Call the help desk (the number they provide) to get this fixed.
Global Pharmacy (they sometimes use the name World Pharmacy or U. S. Pharmacy) has good deals on medications.
Your SS card was used fraudulently.  Call this number (again, the scammers provide a number) and get this cleared up.
Medicare called to see if I got my new card. (Just a scam to get your Medicare ID number).

And, beware of "charities" calling you at this time of year.  The scammers will try to take advantage of a person's generosity during the holidays.

I get calls from so many "charities" that I never heard of.  The scammers will use the word "veteran" in many of these scams.  Also, beware of police and first responder scams.  I have received calls from the National Coalition of Police Officers, asking me to donate during their fund drive.

I see many scam emails a month in my spam folder.  Some are about a package that was "undeliverable".  Some are about a payment being late and I need to call the number provided to clear this up.  It goes on and on, and the scammers never quit.  They always come up with a new scam so be careful out there.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 05:42:45 PM »
Yesterday I got an email telling me my incoming mail was being frozen until I checked in and verified my addy.  HA!
I am really bummed out, though - my 2008 Chevy van with 94,000+ is about to have the warrantee run out!!!  Wow, what if something breaks on it?! LL~ LL~ LL~ VD~ VD~
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 05:51:38 PM »
Yesterday I got an email telling me my incoming mail was being frozen until I checked in and verified my addy.  HA!
I am really bummed out, though - my 2008 Chevy van with 94,000+ is about to have the warrantee run out!!!  Wow, what if something breaks on it?! LL~ LL~ LL~ VD~ VD~

I have received notices via U. S. Mail about my vehicle warranty.  My 18 year old truck, with 170,000 miles, and the warranty is about to expire.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 06:02:28 PM »
Maybe some of you have received an email from a "friend" who is on vacation in another country and needs air fare to get home.  The "friend's" credit card will not work and financial help is needed to get home.

I got one of these, from a "woman" I know.  That is, I recognized the name.  When I looked at the email address of the sender, I noticed that there was one character difference in the legit email address of my friend.  The scammers hack someone's email, get the address list, and then send out these scam messages.  Most people will not notice the subtle change in the email address.  The scammer will add or delete a period, change the spelling, etc.  So, you might think it is legit if you do not look closely enough.

To be sure, I sent a return message.  If the sender really knew who I was, then the sender should be able to describe me.  How old I am, how tall, hair color, age, etc.  This really ticked off the scammer who replied with "hey, why all these questions?  I need help now!"  Obvious scam and I told the scammer to try it on someone else.

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 04:55:45 PM »
To Ty's post 7:

I got several of these, too. Decided to check what I could. Local (land-line) phone system eventually got me to someone who had heard of the gimmick, and told me that the callers have hacked the Caller ID routines just enough to plug in your number - the one they are calling, not the one they are calling from - The phone guy said  this makes it  just about as impossible for them to counter as it is for us, the simple subscribers...

Since I never call home from my home phone, I blocked calls that show it as Caller ID. Answering such calls went to a dead line. It is purely a harassing stunt. I still get a slight delay while the phone co advises me on the Caller ID screen, that a call had been blocked.

OBTW - has anyone else had this call: "Hi, this is Nancy. I'm your consumer representative for" (something or other, probably a fictitious  agency.) I don't listen further after hearing her too-recognizable voice. I've been called as often as four times within a half hour, from widely separate Area Codes, with the identical taped voice and words! They suggest you press a key to get advice. Don't...
\BEST\LOU

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2019, 05:12:58 PM »
Yes, I have received a call from "Nancy" and a host of other robots.  There are warnings about this scam.  After identifying himself/herself as a rep for whatever, you will be asked "can you hear me OK"?  Just hang up, it is a scam.  They are trying to get your recorded "yes" answer.  Your yes answer will be tacked on to a variety of things that you did not agree to.  You might end up being billed for something you never ordered, never agreed to buy.

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2019, 06:52:08 PM »
Here is the real pisser, they call you and caller ID shows your name and number. Go figure. I sure didn't call myself.. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Yeah, I've gotten that same thing happen to me. How the 'L did I call myself and why would I?!

HB~>

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2019, 08:51:54 PM »
In 1994 my credit card co. called to ask me when I had moved to Colorado! I hadden't, still lived in western PA! Any how some one had my account number and charged $14,000 =/- electronics stuff in Bolder! I called the police, met with them for an interview and filed my report! No action against me BUT I still had to continue to make my payments on the inflated amount from July through December! Finally sometime after January I got the extra amounts which weren't bonifide charges back BUT NO interest on the extra I had to pay during the interim!

We now save every receipt, reconcile all with every statement received and instantly question anything which does not appear to be legitimate!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2019, 10:34:25 PM »
I was called at work by a scammer...on a DoD installation!
I calmly stated that he called a DoD facility and that I activated the "Malicious Call Treatment" just to hear the line go dead. LL~

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2019, 08:23:15 AM »
Testerday I got a call from "medicare" to make sure I had all my benefits I deserved.  Since the caller had a really messed up East Indian accent I threw my best messed up East Indian accent right back and played super dumb.  (HEY! None those chuckles and amens were necessary. n1)
After stringing him along for a few minutes he tried to tell me how many bennifits I would have if I just did whatever and I played even dumber and told him "Thank you very much, this is so kind of you to pay for these for me." and hung up.  Thought the wife was gonna wet her pants laughing.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2019, 02:18:14 PM »
Yes, I have received a call from "Nancy" and a host of other robots.  There are warnings about this scam.  After identifying himself/herself as a rep for whatever, you will be asked "can you hear me OK"?  Just hang up, it is a scam.  They are trying to get your recorded "yes" answer.  Your yes answer will be tacked on to a variety of things that you did not agree to.  You might end up being billed for something you never ordered, never agreed to buy.
After I recognized a few scams I make a point of using anything but "yes",  that's right, correct, that's right, etc. on almost every call I make or get.  Nobody seems to mind, except maybe the scammers who are usually dropped immediately.
phil Cartier

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2019, 02:35:45 PM »
Several years ago, I noticed a couple of charges on my Amex statement that amounted to over $700 on my Amazon Prime account.  The items were shipped to an address unknown to me.  I contacted AMEX and they immediately reversed the charges and credited my account and I was told they would investigate.  Amazon has my credit card on file and whenever I make a Prime purchase, I can order and pay with one button push.  I asked for information as to where the items were sent and who made the purchase but was told it would require a letter from my local police department requesting that information.  I never pursued it because Amex had negated the charge.  My only hope was that Amazon would notify the police in the town where the items were delivered and follow up on that end.  Amex sent me a new card immediately.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2019, 04:38:02 PM »
Several years ago, I noticed a couple of charges on my Amex statement that amounted to over $700 on my Amazon Prime account.  The items were shipped to an address unknown to me.  I contacted AMEX and they immediately reversed the charges and credited my account and I was told they would investigate.  Amazon has my credit card on file and whenever I make a Prime purchase, I can order and pay with one button push.  I asked for information as to where the items were sent and who made the purchase but was told it would require a letter from my local police department requesting that information.  I never pursued it because Amex had negated the charge.  My only hope was that Amazon would notify the police in the town where the items were delivered and follow up on that end.  Amex sent me a new card immediately.
I was hit with the same scam.  Fortunately I use a clearing account with just enough in it to cover what will be charged so the bank declined most of the charges.  Somehow the confirmation emails are being diverted as well.  Since they use email to confirm account changes I can't get into my account to change anything.  I get them on the phone (that was fun) and explain that I don't get any of their emails.  So they go into the account and confirm the bogus addresses and ends by saying that she just sent an email with a code and as soon as I get it they will make the changes. ???  I didn't know Amazon was a government agency.

On a brighter note, one of the items was small enough to get paid at the bank (they did refund immediately and so did Amazon).  I caught it before it shipped and Amazon said that they would alert the local authorities and monitor the delivery.  Maybe your experience became a bigger deal and got their attention.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2019, 09:36:50 AM »
At the time of my incident,  I was pretty sure that someone working at Amazon was involved.  They had my CC number on file and stuff was bought and shipped through them.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2019, 10:18:26 AM »
Or, they made use of your own modem, and picked up your password and card digits direct from your computer? Have you got a good password for your modem? Maybe consider changing it? They say NEVER to use public WIFI to buy anything...I wouldn't. If I was to go to the library to use a computer, I'd be sure to close the browser before I left, even if I was just looking at Stunthangar.com   

I have also heard about people accidentally "butt buying" stuff when they have their card numbers saved at an online store like Amazon (or Brodak's, I suppose). That's one of the joys of having a smart phone and using it to buy stuff! The cure is to NOT allow the vendor to keep your card numbers.   

Sorta related...the first time I have gotten a credit card hacked, was this last July, right after the first time I EVER paid by card  at a fast food place. A day later, I got the call from BECU Visa security, asking if I had just been buying stuff in Texas and Colorado. Took awhile, but I got a new card...kept me from being able to go to the WCSC contest...it's so much easier to use a card across the border that I'm never going to mess with getting Canadian cash ever again. While I was at it, I got another card from US Bank and choose to  use it because I earn 1.5% cash back on it. I've been meaning to take my BECU Visa card back to that same fast food restaurant and see if it happens again.

Before I retired, one of my co-workers drove out for lunch and went through the drive-through lane at a local chain fast food place...and paid with his credit (not debit) card. He was sharp enough to keep an eye on it, and saw the girl run the card and then writing the numbers and 3 digit security number on a notebook. He sat there blocking the lane and dialed 911 on his cell phone. The cops came and arrested the girl. Probably slapped her wrists.

Our Renton police don't respond to misdemeanor incidents...they prefer to remain on standby waiting for felonies, apparently? Don't want to do the paperwork, when the courts just turn the miscreants loose? My theory is that if they'd catch and persecute (!) people for misdemeanors, those folks may be less inclined to step up to felony crimes, but that's just my whacked-out theory.     ''

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2019, 11:05:48 AM »
Any time I GET a phone call from somebody who NEVER answers the phone from me, I assume fraud.

I could not get Amazon, the IRS, the FBI, Mastercard, Microsoft, Dell or Verizon on the phone if my life depended on it.  So when they call me, usually with an Asian accent, I hang up (actually punch off) right quick.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here