News:

• May 23, 2024, 05:47:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mod podge for covering  (Read 3866 times)

Offline Steven Kientz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Mod podge for covering
« on: March 04, 2012, 06:51:22 AM »
Has anyone used Mod Podge for covering, whether silkspan or fabric? I would really like to stay away from using dope. I spent 10+ years working in a paint factory and figure I've been exposed to enough toxic fumes.

Thanks in advance
Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: Mod podge for covering
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 07:27:14 AM »
                      These paints,http://www.nelsonhobby.com/hobby_paint.php are a good alternative to avoid exposure of high toxicity solvents. They do however take practice and patience to get used to how they're applied. Ken

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 07:38:53 AM »
I have considered the minwax polycrilic method also, but have never heard enough positive feedback to try it.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 07:55:26 AM »
Send Allen Brickhause a PM.   Do a search for his name as I think I fially spelled it  right.   He has a method of finishing that is almost odor free. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 07:25:05 PM »
Steve,

I have used ModPog to cover a giant scale R/C plane.  The covering was Sig Koverall which has no adhesive backing.  It worked very well.  I had to thin it very slightly with water because out of the bottle it is very thick.  I applied one coat to seal the wood and let it dry.  Then applied the second coat and positioned the fabric before it dried.  Then brushed a third coat throught the fabric.  Adheres well.  Shrunk the fabric with no release of the ModPog.  FYI, I found it to be virtually identical to Elmers white glue.  Having said that, that means you can use a hot iron to further seal the edges if needed.  It is water based and is not fuel proof.  I would not use it as a sealer.  Too soft to sand.  Very easy to use and clean up.

Good luck,
Paul

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 03:31:10 PM »
  My first attempt I believe I didn't get the covering tight over the open bays. I'm starting the second attempt, this will be SLC over the open bays and the fabric applied slightly damp after two perimeter coats of Mod Podge.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 09:05:42 PM »
Steve I have been trying the same thing. I just put down Polyspan with Eze Dope, and it worked well. It has been wet sanded and is ready  for primer.  I will use dope for paint. I posted carbon and Eze Kote when I get the whole plane ready for primer I will post again.

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 02:10:47 PM »
Did you eze dope the open bays? I tried mod podge two different ways, fabric dry and wet. neither tighten up enough. I was hoping to use this finish on some vintage combat planes I have to build. Please keep us posted as to how the eze dope works.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here