News:

• May 20, 2024, 02:39:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Some Pics from the NATS  (Read 3342 times)

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Some Pics from the NATS
« on: July 12, 2011, 01:47:17 PM »
Here's a few pics from the NATS I took.

Pic 1: Buddy Weider's Ryan's Eagle in flight
Pic 2: Dan Banjock's own Spun aluminum cowl on his Galloping Comedian
Pic 3: Bruce Perry's Jester in flight
Pic 4: Derek Barry's Dreadnought prior to an official flight
Pic 5: Doug Moon flying at sunset
Matt Colan

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Some Pics from the NATS
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 01:51:31 PM »
And here's a few more: H^^

Pic 1: The Trivial Pursuit
Pic 2: PJ Rowland's Geiseke Nobler in flight
Pic 3: Dave Fitzgerald landing after a flight on top 20 day
Pic 4: The top 5 and Ryan Young
Matt Colan

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 02:38:15 PM »
Love the shot of Doug Moon at sunset.
AMA 7544

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 02:49:38 PM »
I had seen Buddy Weidners 'Ryans Eagle' at Brodaks. It was one of the best models that I had a chance to see up close and personel. Also as an electric it had some well executed ammenities to it. It only weighed 43 oz ready to fly. Outstanding

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 03:27:24 PM »
Dennis,
Yes it is a beautiful airplane. One correction. My long time friend's name is Wieder.
AMA 7544

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 03:54:27 PM »
The cowl on Dan's Comedian is nice but the prop hub is amazing.  Where'd he get that!

Ted

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
Hi Ted....
I wager that Young Daniel made it.....he has a small mill and likes doing screwy stuff...
I hope Mike Palko chimes in here...

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 06:09:58 PM »
The cowl on Dan's Comedian is nice but the prop hub is amazing.  Where'd he get that!

Ted

Ted,

The aluminum prop is a production piece from the 50's. As far as he can tell it was intended to be used as a flight prop back then! It is stamped 10 x 6 on the hub. Dan took the rough, dull prop and wet sanded, buffed and polished it until it looked like a mirror. The cowling is hand spun. Dan also spun all of the cowlings for the Walter Umland kits. http://www.builtrightflyright.com/New_Web_Pgs/kits/gc/GC_kit.htm

Dan's Comedian started out with an internal muffler that had dual exhaust out the bottom. It was two pieces hand spun then welded together. It honestly made the Fox .35 sound like a Aero Tiger. Dan couldn't get the engine run he wanted using the muffler so he switched to the tongue muffler for the Brodak Flyin and has not gotten back to the internal muffler yet.

Mike

Edit: How could I forget about the home made aluminum wheel pants.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 06:27:55 PM by Mike Palko »

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 06:12:05 PM »
Hi Ted....
I wager that Young Daniel made it.....he has a small mill and likes doing screwy stuff...
I hope Mike Palko chimes in here...

You would think so..... Dan has made his own spinners, cowlings, mufflers, engines and assorted bit and pieces, but no props yet.

Mike

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 07:22:51 PM »
Dennis,
Yes it is a beautiful airplane. One correction. My long time friend's name is Wieder.

Tom,
Your absolutely right, My bad. However in my defense I'm luckey if I remember my name if I don't hear it at least one a week

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 07:39:21 PM »
heheh Bang on 5 ft :)
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 07:50:46 PM »
Dennis,

"I'm luckey if I remember my name if I don't hear it at least one a week"

Ouch! You just hit home!

Have a good evening my friend.

AMA 7544

Offline Monty Summach

• AMA Member
  • Ensign
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 08:05:09 PM »
Hi Matt,
Those are some really nice pics - thanks for sharing.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 08:40:15 PM »
Hi Matt,
Those are some really nice pics - thanks for sharing.

Thanks Monty!  That was really good flying you were doing this week!  H^^

Edit: I took my Trivial Pursuit apart tonight to do some maintenence, refinish the cowl, put another tank shim in it etc. etc. and I found there was a stress crack that started at the leading edge of the wing at the fillet, travel down the wing, then down the bottom of the fuselage and around the very bottom of it.  That stress crack then traveled to the centerline of the wing, and started working it's way down the wing.  I saved a near disaster because if that crack kept on moving it would have probably folded the wing on a hard corner.  The stress crack was so deep on the fuse, I could flex the nose of the fuselage!!  I epoxied it back together and put some glass cloth in the pipe tunnel.  I seriously doubt I was pushing the plane that hard, even if I was banging the crap out of the corners earlier in the week, and then Frank McMillian told me to back off so it will fly smoother (and my scores went up).

And also, anybody who noticed the black stuff on the side of the plane when I landed, we took the header off and found the gasket we made failed, so that is where it was leaking from.
Matt Colan

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 08:49:57 PM »
Gee ', that was really exiteing .  ~> ~> :X. Thanks to all whove posted photos . thouse in far of lands were waiting with eager anticipation . Youve held us on tenterhooks, but not let us down. H^^

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 09:58:52 PM »

Edit: I took my Trivial Pursuit apart tonight to do some maintenence, refinish the cowl, put another tank shim in it etc. etc. and I found there was a stress crack that started at the leading edge of the wing at the fillet, travel down the wing, then down the bottom of the fuselage and around the very bottom of it.  That stress crack then traveled to the centerline of the wing, and started working it's way down the wing.  I saved a near disaster because if that crack kept on moving it would have probably folded the wing on a hard corner.  The stress crack was so deep on the fuse, I could flex the nose of the fuselage!!  I epoxied it back together and put some glass cloth in the pipe tunnel.  I seriously doubt I was pushing the plane that hard, even if I was banging the crap out of the corners earlier in the week, and then Frank McMillian told me to back off so it will fly smoother (and my scores went up).

And also, anybody who noticed the black stuff on the side of the plane when I landed, we took the header off and found the gasket we made failed, so that is where it was leaking from.

Ugh oh, long ago I was told by a wise man, that any black you see in your exhaust residue is tiny metal particles of your engine. It is caused by too little oil, too many RPM's or running too hot. Your exhaust oil should be practically clear.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline louie klein

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 05:56:53 AM »
Great pics Matt! Thanks for breakfast.---LOUIE  H^^ D>K

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 07:24:41 AM »
Ugh oh, long ago I was told by a wise man, that any black you see in your exhaust residue is tiny metal particles of your engine. It is caused by too little oil, too many RPM's or running too hot. Your exhaust oil should be practically clear.

The exhaust by the pipe, how little there was, had clear oil...
Matt Colan

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 07:31:59 AM »
Some more notes on the beautiful Comedian: Dan rounded the fues by adding stringers to fill out the octagonal(?) stock shape. Formers are not round, they are I think, eight sided. The cowl also has half moon louvers(?) on the back edge to let the hot air out. The plane flies with a stock prop. The wheel pants are stampings made in hardwood molds of Dan's carving. They are not hammered. Hammering made wrinkles. I love the hand rubbed dope. Soft deep luster. Curses on plastic fantastic car coat urethane.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 05:05:05 PM by Dennis Moritz »

Offline Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 02:57:39 PM »
Hi, Matt, nice pics, and NICE JOB flying at the NATS!!!  Outstanding!
ama 72090

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 04:00:29 PM »

Edit: I took my Trivial Pursuit apart tonight to do some maintenence, refinish the cowl, put another tank shim in it etc. etc. and I found there was a stress crack that started at the leading edge of the wing at the fillet, travel down the wing, then down the bottom of the fuselage and around the very bottom of it.  That stress crack then traveled to the centerline of the wing, and started working it's way down the wing.  I saved a near disaster because if that crack kept on moving it would have probably folded the wing on a hard corner.  The stress crack was so deep on the fuse, I could flex the nose of the fuselage!!  I epoxied it back together and put some glass cloth in the pipe tunnel.  I seriously doubt I was pushing the plane that hard, even if I was banging the crap out of the corners earlier in the week, and then Frank McMillian told me to back off so it will fly smoother (and my scores went up).

Whew!  Lucky catch, Matt.  

Just curious, when you re-installed the belly “cradle” after gluing the wing in place did you put thin ply “splices/doublers” across the joint between the “cradle” sides and the main fuselage sides?  Sounds like you might have skipped that and the stress cracking you’re observing is the result.

It is extremely important that the join between the wing and fuse be firmly supported at all points because of the great stresses between the two when maneuvering.  Because you’re flying pretty fast it is an even bigger issue because G loads for a given radius of corner go up dramatically with airspeed.

Glad you caught it.

Ted

p.s. When you build the take apart T-Gazer you’ll need to be extra careful with this aspect.  Run some pix by David/Paul/Brett/Howard while you do that process.  They’re all wizards with that sort of engineering stuff.

edit:
Wow!  I just reread your post and now it sounds like it was the wing sheeting that was cracking.  Is that right?
Whew

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 06:12:38 PM »
Whew!  Lucky catch, Matt.  

Just curious, when you re-installed the belly “cradle” after gluing the wing in place did you put thin ply “splices/doublers” across the joint between the “cradle” sides and the main fuselage sides?  Sounds like you might have skipped that and the stress cracking you’re observing is the result.

It is extremely important that the join between the wing and fuse be firmly supported at all points because of the great stresses between the two when maneuvering.  Because you’re flying pretty fast it is an even bigger issue because G loads for a given radius of corner go up dramatically with airspeed.

Glad you caught it.

Ted

p.s. When you build the take apart T-Gazer you’ll need to be extra careful with this aspect.  Run some pix by David/Paul/Brett/Howard while you do that process.  They’re all wizards with that sort of engineering stuff.

edit:
Wow!  I just reread your post and now it sounds like it was the wing sheeting that was cracking.  Is that right?
Whew

Hi Ted,

I did not do that.  But the crack started at the leading edge by the fillets and worked it's way down the wing still on the fillet and then made a right hand turn to go down the fuselage side.  One thing we did notice was that the sheeting was soft just to the left of the crack, and we poored epoxy in it.  Today we felt to see if it was soft and it was stiff as can be.

I am now going to try and slow down my airspeed (I was getting it to start running it on the pipe, because I was just set too lean.  I can fly the plane in a full 4 cycle kinda like Dave's PA-75 and it keeps going, but the motor is too rich at that point.  I pushed the pipe in 1/4 inch to have the power come on earlier and am going to set the launch RPMs around 8400, we'll see what happens).  Also Frank McMillian coached me into backing off on the corners because, it's easier to fly consistant bottoms, and the plane will fly easier.  I backed off and on the video, it still looked like really tight corners.

I'm planning on asking Dave how he put together is take apart hardware.  I have a pretty good idea how, but pictures are worth more than what I think.  Dave did use Dallas Hanna's take apart hardware for his 2nd T-Gazer right?
Matt Colan

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 06:36:38 AM »
Dave did use Dallas Hanna's take apart hardware for his 2nd T-Gazer right?

Thats correct.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Gerald Schamp

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 12:10:53 PM »
Are there any more pics of Dan's Galloping Comedian? That thing is fantastic. y1 Thanks Gerald Schamp

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 04:44:39 PM »
Are there any more pics of Dan's Galloping Comedian? That thing is fantastic. y1 Thanks Gerald Schamp

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=22531.0

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here