News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:09:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Soaring Valor and the WW2 Air, Land and Sea Show  (Read 527 times)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Soaring Valor and the WW2 Air, Land and Sea Show
« on: October 14, 2018, 09:58:16 PM »
I hardly ever post anything on here that is not related to Control Line models but if Sparky and the rest of you will indulge me for this one non control line related post, I would be grateful.

I know there are a lot of Veterans that belong to this forum and there are many who are not, it really doesn't matter if you are or not to appreciate this short story.

I am the Squadron Commander of the Billy Mitchell Senior Squadron of the Civil Air Patrol here in New Orleans.  You may or may not know that the CAP is an auxillary of the Air Force and being so we have developed close ties with the WW2 Museum here.  One of the biggest supporters of WW2 Veterans in the world is the actor Gary Sinise and you might remember him as Lietuenant Dan in the movie Forest Gump.  Gary Sinise is a huge supporter and contributor to the WW2 Museum  and he has a program called Soaring Valor where he flies the surviving WW2 Veterans into New Orleans for a dinner and celebration where they are honored by Generals and other dignataries who attend these soaring valor events.  The way this works is that he goes all over the country and has high school kids write essays about WW2 and he will pick the best ones and have them accompany the veterans and a member of that veterans family and fly them to New Orleans for several days to honor them for their service during the war.  Gary Sinise pays for all of this through his foundation.

I was honored to have been invited to one of these Soaring Valor events in September and they are formal events and we, members of Civil Air Patrol, have to dress is class A Air Force  blues to attend and we also furnish the Color Guard from selected Cadets to post the colors.

Oh, I forgot to mention that up until a couple of years ago, the museum was called the D Day Museum but they changed the name to the WW2 Museum a few years ago.

Anyway, when I arrived at the event, I really did not know what to expect but was told that we formed a reception line as they brought the veterans off the buses into the Museum.  Most of these men are in wheel chairs and if they are not, they are on canes and have the high school students assist them to get inside.

We formed a reception line on each side of the entrance and as they entered we applauded until every last one of them had entered the building.  Gary Sinise walked in with them and was even pushing one fo the vets in his wheel chair. 

While they were getting all the vets stationed at the table where they would be having dinner, I noticed that Gary had walked over to a coffee table and was drinking a cup of coffee all alone.  I walked over, introduced myself and stuck out my hand and we shook hands as I was thanking him for all he has done for the veterans in the country and especially the surviving WW2 Vets.  I thought that would be the extent of the conversation but he wanted to talk for a minute and guys, I have to tell you, I have never in my life talked to nicer human being.  He is very sincere about what he is doing and has dedicated his life to helping veterans but still finds time to make a few movies.  He is very conservative but does not discuss politics at all.  His main focus in life is to help veterans of all wars but especially the WW2 Veterans.

It was a very rememerable evening for me and I sat next to a young couple who were in the military at our table during dinner.  He was a Warrant Officer in the Army and flew Apache Helicopters.  His fiancee was a 2nd Lt. in the Air Force and the daughter of a General.

As the evening progressed and as I talked to these young soldiers sitting beside me, it bacame evident to this old veteran that our country was in good hands and our military will carry on the be the best the World has ever seen.

That was in September.  This past weekend, I manned our Civil Air Patrol booth at the WW2 Air, Land and Sea show here in New Orleans.  My Squadron, the Billy Mitchell Senior Squadron, is an all senior flying squadron and 99% of what we do is search and rescue and emergency services for FEMA and other federal and state agencies that deal with disaster relief.  We also have Cadet and Composite Squadrons in the state and the CAP Cadets are heavily involved in these air shows and do things like serve as the Color Guard and help move these Warbirds around on the tarmac.  These aircraft are operated by the Confederate Air Force but recently they changed their name to the Commemorative Air Force.  By the way, I inquired about taking a ride on the B17 Bomber and a good seat was only $800.00 but I didnt have it on me so I passed.

My point is that I got to spend a lot of time this weekend working with these young cadets and they again reaffirmed my faith in the future of the military of this country.  These kids range in age from 12 to 21 years old and know more about military customs and dress than most of the adults do and are the most respectful and focused bunch of young people I have ever been around.

They also had the rare opportunity today to talk with the only living survivor who flew with Jimmy Doolittle.  He is 103 years old. I told the cadets to talk to him and as many of the WW2 vets that they could this weekend because in a very few short years they would all be gone and they would never have the opportunity to talk to these men who literally saved the World from evil during that war.

The only mishap that happened at the show was when they were demonstrating the flame thrower and caught the grass on fire and the fire department had to put it out.

Other than that, the past two months have made me reflect on how great this country really is and when you get depressed and disgusted
 about all the negative, nasty evil things that the media likes to feed you, I feel like I can tell you first hand, I think this country's military is in good hands.

Thank you for letting me ramble a while on this, I am so proud of the people who have and are currently protecting our country.  With all our warts, we are still the best the world has ever seen.

Sincerely,

Mike

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 06:33:32 AM by Mike Griffin »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Soaring Valor and the WW2 Air, Land and Sea Show
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 09:22:06 AM »
I have seen the Forest Gump movie and was fascinated with.  I have always wondered why Gary has not become a bigger star.  I have not seen the movie where I think he played the part of one of my favorite Presidents,  President Truman.   You Mike are so lucky to get to do all this.  Keep up the good work, if you can call it work.  My hat off to you and all the veterans as well as the active service people we have in this great land of ours. H^^ H^^ H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Soaring Valor and the WW2 Air, Land and Sea Show
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 10:52:41 AM »
I have seen the Forest Gump movie and was fascinated with.  I have always wondered why Gary has not become a bigger star.  I have not seen the movie where I think he played the part of one of my favorite Presidents,  President Truman.   You Mike are so lucky to get to do all this.  Keep up the good work, if you can call it work.  My hat off to you and all the veterans as well as the active service people we have in this great land of ours. H^^ H^^ H^^

Doc I was extremely fortunate to be able to meet Gary and participate in these functions.  One of the problems that Gary has experienced is that he is a patriot and conservative and that does not go over well in Hollywood, but that does not bother him at all because his focus now is on his foundation and helping veterans and their families.  This rises above politics.
Mike

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here