News:

• May 07, 2024, 02:54:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1991 Impact vs. Current  (Read 3776 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
1991 Impact vs. Current
« on: June 03, 2011, 11:01:06 AM »
How much does the Impact published in the May 1991 issue of Flying Models differ from Mr. Walker's current rendition?  Aside from obvious things like powerplant, that is.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
Re: 1991 Impact vs. Current
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 05:36:05 PM »
For clarity :

Do you mean How much does the 1991 Impact differ from the Impact used at the last Worlds ?

Compare to the 1991 Impact :

Or do you mean How much does the 1991 Impact differ from the current Electric American Eagle?

I have neither answers - Just want to clarify what your asking.

I love Howard Rush's Expression..  -

Sorry about the thought bubble - :)

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 06:17:43 PM by PJ Rowland »
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 06:17:35 PM »
For clarity :

Do you mean How much does the 1991 Impact differ from the Impact used at the last Worlds ?
Yes.  Am I totally off base here?  I just want a benchmark to use to measure other interesting looking designs, and AFAIK I don't have published plans for a more recent rendition.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 06:59:16 PM »
We will have to wait for someone more qualified to answer.

I personally would suspect there was no alteration - If a design can win multiple Nats & W/C why update?
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 07:26:39 PM »
They're all different. Note that the "Spain" Impact (pic #1 & 2) has a longer wing, and both it and the "For Reals" (pic #3)  are sorta I-beamers, but take-apart. The spars are largely CF. The "Sweden stabilizer" version (at least one of Paul's and one of Howard's has this mod) has the stab tip chord reduced by 50% (LE swept back a lot). Several of the latest electron powered ones are trike gear and jet styled. The newest one has a thin wing and retracting 2 wheel LG, but I have not seen it.  

My conclusion is that Paul's trimming and handle wiggling skills are a major advantage, but the basic '91 Impact has proven to be a fine flying design for a lot of folks with .40/.46VF's, PA's and RO-Jetts on pipe, to ST G.51's and .60's. Several other designs are restyled Impacts, just like in the Nobler days. I hope to have an Impact, someday. It probably won't be a significant impact, ya know.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 11:11:06 PM »
I think if I made an Impact derivative it would be dull and stolid.  I'd have to call it "Thud".
AMA 64232

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 11:47:37 PM »
I think the plane he took to Sweden had the standard tail size.  The 1992 world champ had the reduced stab tip chord.  
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 12:51:36 AM »
Why the look of grimace Howard?

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 06:08:21 AM »
Several other designs are restyled Impacts, just like in the Nobler days.  Steve
What are some of the restyled Impact designs ?

Was the original Impact an I-beamer ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 07:41:55 AM »
Alan :
Not according to my 1991 fly models plan. - It actually shows a foam core wing.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 12:25:07 PM »
Current? You want Current? This one just burns Current. Picture is from last week's NW CL Regionals, JT on the camera!  First one is Norm Whittle's "eSultan". The next one is Paul's 2010 "Impact xs". Paul won with 613 points in the 2nd round. Norm was 4th with 590. The first 3 planes in the row are electron powered, with the #3 plane being Mike Haverly's "Kiss es". It didn't survive the 2nd round, sadly.  :P Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 02:27:43 PM »
Steve,

Was there a picture involved?

As I understand it, the philosophy behind each design is pretty much consistent, but the execution has changed over time. The current electron driven version is different based on what Paul has discovered testing the electric powerplants. But the philosophy behind the design hasn't changed much.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 09:40:30 PM »
Randy...Yes...the picture of JT's from Flying Lines. Stunthanger won't accept the file because the extension is "JPEG", but under properties on FL, it says jpg. I've tried to change it, but it won't. I'm puzzled. But here's it linked, so that folks can figure out what's what.  :-[ Steve

Edit: Behind the blue/red KISS es is Dave Fitz's "ThunderGazer" and then Brett's "Infinity".

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 01:14:15 PM by Steve Helmick »

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 11:37:58 PM »
Another photo of new said design.

DO you believe it now ?

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 04:13:58 PM »
I think the plane he took to Sweden had the standard tail size.  The 1992 world champ had the reduced stab tip chord.  

I know for sure Paul refers to it as "The Sweden Stab" (with the 50% tip chord). I asked what it did differently, and he said it was easier to adjust (by the pilot) for either a hard corner or soft corner, if the team figures out what the judges are scoring higher.  H^^ Steve

Online Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 01:45:37 PM »
I know for sure Paul refers to it as "The Sweden Stab" (with the 50% tip chord). I asked what it did differently, and he said it was easier to adjust (by the pilot) for either a hard corner or soft corner, if the team figures out what the judges are scoring higher.  H^^ Steve

Be careful of your "for sures".

The only Impact to use (in competition) the reduced size stab was the '92 WC's plane.

The Sweden plane had a full size stab, and was used that way in Sweden. Since it was a take apart, I built a reduced size stab for it and flew it that way for a while. It changed the corner to be more like the '92 plane. This smaller stab was well after the Sweden WC's. I don't know where the term "Sweden stab" came from!

If I were to build another "Impact" I would build it like the FM plans, except for some aesthetic changes.

Online Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 01:48:49 PM »
What are some of the restyled Impact designs ?

Was the original Impact an I-beamer ?

Nope...It was a foam wing.

Paul

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2011, 06:18:10 AM »
Here are my two favorite Impacts.

The "Sweden planes"

They looked and flew AWESOME!

Derek