News:

• April 18, 2024, 02:02:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Smith's Model Products  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Phil Hawkins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • 909 276 0283
Smith's Model Products
« on: February 24, 2022, 08:37:33 AM »
Hey Guys,
I have acquired an amazing 1/2A kit from the estate of friend and fellow flyer David Kick called the "Dil - Bod" (14" WS) with incredible quality wood.
I searched out Smith's (out of San Dimas, Ca) but only found one old add for a Smoothy kit (Pre Brodak) and a mention that "Smith" is no longer with us. I would be interested in learning more about Smith's Model Products, the offerings he once provided, did someone take over the operations, do any of you have kits, or built models?
The Dil-Bod is a full fuse racer and the wood is so light and flexible I am sure it will be an incredibly fun and light model. I will most likely use the kit as a template but the quality of the wood is not something I have laying around!
Whatcha Got??

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Smith's Model Products
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 08:57:23 AM »
   I believe that would be the late Ken Smith, who unfortunately passed away at a young age. he kitted the two versions of Ed Southwick's Skylark and Lark designs as well as a line of fuels tanks and other kits. As far as I know, no one ever took over his business.  Ken was a nice guy. I had the dubious honor of winning the "best Crash" award at VSC one year when I pancaked my McCoy .35 powered Ringmaster at the bottom of the vertical 8's  and the nose section went over to the next circle and banged into Ken's leg! Ken was one of the judges who also picked the Best Crash award and I won because the debris frommy crash traveled the farthest!  R.I.P. Ken!
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 10:43:06 AM »
I think RSM took over making the tanks.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 11:35:23 AM »
Jim Rhoads has an original Dil Bod that he built when they were new...   Brings it to VSC every now and then.....
Jim

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 11:48:53 AM »
Kenn Smith kitted my profile carrier Martin MO-1 and 15 carrier "Sniper" designs, plus sold the tanks and other hardware separately. He also kitted some 1/2A scale racers and the "Streaker" mouse racer. I believe he kitted a .15 "Li'l Quickie" Goodyear racer, and possibly my "Barracuda" Quickie Rat. All of his products that I saw were good quality and fairly priced. Kenn was a good guy and a devoted promoter of CL. I wish he hadn't left us so soon.

Bill Bischoff

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2022, 12:49:37 PM »
The Dil-Bod was by the same company that did the 1/2A Snapper. Out of Oklahoma I believe. I do have a copy of Ken Smith's Lark kit; it's very nice.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2022, 01:01:05 PM »
I have a couple of Ken's kits.   Beautiful kits.  In fact the first kit was the Pathfinder I got at VSC and autographed by the designers. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2022, 01:24:32 PM »
Kenn Smith died of cancer. It was a shame to lose him. His other hobby was kayaking on wild rivers and streams.
De Hill

Offline Phil Hawkins

• Commander
  • 909 276 0283
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2022, 11:12:40 PM »
I have two of his Skylark kits. Hand cut and beautiful wood. I built  a third kit of the Skylark and loved the way it flew. D>K

Well it seems the quality, beauty and smoothness of the wood is consistent with the small box I have.

Offline Phil Hawkins

• Commander
  • 909 276 0283
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2022, 11:13:44 PM »
I think RSM took over making the tanks.

Would that be the Chicken Hopper style?

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2022, 08:50:36 AM »
Good tanks, if you ever come by them.

Offline Steve_Pollock

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2022, 04:58:24 PM »
For those who haven't seen a Dil-Bod, here are my 40% drawings.

Online Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Tulsa Glue Dobbers C/L and R/C Clubs
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2022, 06:32:13 PM »
For those who haven't seen a Dil-Bod, here are my 40% drawings.

Just for the record.....the picture of the Dil-Bod on the cover of the box and the plans was built by an old friend and mentor of mine Jerry Bowman....another prominent Tulsa Glue Dobber club member back in the 50's.

Offline Jim Rhoades

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2022, 10:03:31 PM »
    As Jim Lee said I do have an original Dilbod that I built about '53 or '54.  I bought the kit from Oil Capitol Hobbies I think it was.  I was about 14 or 15 at the time.  I was born in Tulsa and lived there up till the 3rd grade in school.  My family was on a vacation visiting other family members.  I went in the shop and said I wanted a Dilbod.  I found that I was talking to George Millikin the designer and kit maker.  He gave me a couple pictures of the Snapper 1/2A stunter that was just about to be released in kit form.  I built the Dilbod kit and powered it with an Atwood .049.  George invited us to come out to a parking lot by a stadium saturday afternoon to watch them have some fun racing their Dilbods.  They had a half dozen of so models and had 2 or 3 in the air at once.
    As you can see the Dilbod has cute written all over it and the kit was really well done as was the Smith reproduction.  My Dilbod was the first model that I tried to put a finish on, and it turned out pretty good if I say so myself.  I haven't built my Smith kit.
    By the way I learned Autocad drawing a plan of the Dilbod for Ken Smith using measuring from my model.  He did not use them as he was able to find an original kit to copy.  I have copies of these dwgs. in original scale and enlarged somewhat for modern higher powered engines.  My drawings have a couple very minor internal construction details that differ from the original as they were made about 35 years after I built the model.  They are very true to the original externally.  I could make copies of these available if someone is really interested just send me a PM with your contact info.

Jim Rhoades   

Advertise Here
Tags: dilbod 

Advertise Here