News:

• May 03, 2024, 03:53:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Full scale electric aircraft down  (Read 720 times)

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Full scale electric aircraft down
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 08:02:32 AM »
Sad news:  https://electrek.co/2018/06/04/siemens-electric-plane-prototype-fire-crash-death/#more-68212

I know very little about electric aircraft.

What's interesting about electric aircraft, or what I would like to know is, how do they provide redundancy?

There are no magnetos if there's a battery issue.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Full scale electric aircraft down
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 12:57:40 PM »
I know very little about electric aircraft.

What's interesting about electric aircraft, or what I would like to know is, how do they provide redundancy?

There are no magnetos if there's a battery issue.

It would be easy to have two or more independent battery banks, each with an independent motor controller.  It'd be a matter of juggling weight requirements to make each controller capable of driving the motor at full power, and slightly harder to make sure there's enough oomph in each battery bank for full power.

Or, it may be felt that the system is reliable enough that redundancy isn't needed -- a single engine aircraft, after all, only has one crankshaft, and yet people go fly them all the time.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here