News:

• April 18, 2024, 01:41:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Small town airports; again  (Read 733 times)

Offline Wayne Collier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Small town airports; again
« on: November 15, 2021, 08:12:02 PM »
I’ve mentioned before that I’ve been privileged to live near small airports much of my life. I’m 2 or 3 miles from one in northeast Tx now. Today I saw a P-40, a P-51, a Corsair, and what may have been a wildcat - straight wings with landing gear extending from fuselage instead of wings.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
Re: Small town airports; again
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 09:54:28 PM »
I’ve mentioned before that I’ve been privileged to live near small airports much of my life. I’m 2 or 3 miles from one in northeast Tx now. Today I saw a P-40, a P-51, a Corsair, and what may have been a wildcat - straight wings with landing gear extending from fuselage instead of wings.
That gear arrangement would rule out a F6F

Great sighting!  A year ago I was in Pasco Washington at an event for my daughter’s school.  The hotel was just south of the airport.  I happened to look out the window and saw a Corsair, gear and flaps down, on final.  Only saw it for perhaps 15-20 seconds, but made my day

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 12:34:14 PM »
Not sure where it was going or what it was doing but had a B-17 overfly my house last weekend about 5 times in the Flint, MI area.  Very distictive sound that made me look up from what I was doing each time.  Fairly sure it was the "Yankee Lady" which is out of Willow Run but did not see anything on the news nor was I able to find anything on the internet on why it was in the area.
John Paris

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 02:55:51 PM »
I understand looking up. I heard what sounded like multiple radial engines while pumping gas near Rome GA several years ago. I ran out from under the awning to see a B-17 go over. Other customers at the gas station probably thought I was crazy but I was glad I looked.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here