News:

• April 24, 2024, 05:24:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: slc over a sheeted wing  (Read 1491 times)

Offline George Waters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
slc over a sheeted wing
« on: July 08, 2022, 07:28:02 PM »
Has anyone put slc over a sheeted wing? What to use for an adhesive? Does it have problems getting air bubbles in it? I used it once over silkspan but it was doped before application and eventually peeled off in flight.  George

Offline EricV

• Lieutenant
Re: slc over a sheeted wing
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 07:52:14 PM »
Has anyone put slc over a sheeted wing? What to use for an adhesive? Does it have problems getting air bubbles in it? I used it once over silkspan but it was doped before application and eventually peeled off in flight.  George

I've used it over a semi sheeted foam wing where you have the fake cap strips over the open bays, and it worked great. I only put the slc over the open bays with a 1 " border, not around the entire LE or TE or center. No extra adhesive. I still  silkspanned over top of the slc and entire wing including center. It took next to nothing to fill and was a super strong finish. But... If you have good silkspan, I personally wouldn't bother with the slc unless you needed the strength for some reason like on an open bay wing, then slc with silkspan over top would make more sense to me.

Just my .02
EricV

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 09:18:57 AM »
Does SLC have glue on it? I seem to remember they said to put it on with 3M77 contact cement spray. Didn't sound like something I wanted to try.

Motorman 8)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 09:22:21 AM »
I give up. What's SLC?
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2022, 09:30:51 AM »
I give up. What's SLC?

Super light covering. A clear plastic film.

Jerry

PS: Do a search at the top of the page. (SLC)

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2022, 10:30:26 AM »
OMG!!!  Yet another chapter of the "Search For The Zero Ounce Stunter". mw~ mw~ mw~ 

Clearly, I've failed in my years long attempts to put "The Search" to bed.   HB~> HB~> HB~>

Alas.... S?P S?P S?P

Ted  H^^

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2022, 11:10:56 AM »
I have used SLC and laminating film on most of the planes I hav constructed the last decade or longer as Larry Renger put me on to it.  do not seal any fabric or silk span you may use for base covering.  There is a toll for putting small holes in solid sheet balsa covering.  If you go to the finish section on this forum you will find several ways of doing it.   The clear film over fabric makes for strong surfaces or if you put the material over the clear SLC, be sure to take a dry scouring pad and buff the sheen off the clear before putting the top covering on ( silk, silk span, poly-ester cloth or even nylon.) D>K

John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2022, 01:13:54 PM »
George, Ask Phil Cartier any and all questions you may have about SLC. He's been selling it for many many years and has used it on his Combat ships. He's a member of this Forum.

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline George Waters

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2022, 04:19:48 PM »
I will check with Phil i got this from him several years ago. My reason for using it was to try and get a really smooth surface without using a lot of primer.  George

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2022, 06:11:59 PM »
Remember you have to have a really smooth surface for the SLC or mylar covering.  Then lay your silk span or covering on it. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Phil Hawkins

• Commander
  • 909 276 0283
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2022, 09:45:18 PM »
I gotta admit, slc brought back a (now funny) memory... I used to accuse my now ex-wife of continuous SLC's! Shi++y Little Comments! It took a little time, but we are friends again! I will becstaying with her and her husband and my son in Montana in October...

Now I am going to look into Super Light Coverings!

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2022, 01:29:16 PM »
Is anyone familiar with lamination film known as "Duculam" ? available 0.6 mil, 1.4 mil, 1.6 mil. How does it compare to SLC?
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2022, 08:43:12 PM »
Is this the same stuff off the Ebay site?   If so, I find no difference other than the super thin stuff disappears it iron is too hot. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2022, 07:08:04 PM »
I will check with Phil i got this from him several years ago. My reason for using it was to try and get a really smooth surface without using a lot of primer.  George
This is a simple process, George.  Attach the sheeting to the airframe.  Make sure it is properly fitted and glued in place.  When the glue has dried Sand the wood as needed to get a "level" surface- try to eliminate valleys and hills.  If you find valleys I'm not sure what to do.  If they are shallow, less than 3/32in, you may be able to get them to fill in by wetting the area and letting it dry.  Otherwise, get some very light filler- I use some micro balloons mixed into clear water-based varnish.  It should be brushable- a few light coats over a small area. If 3-4 coats isn't enough to fill the depression maybe try to pop the sheeting loose in the depressed area  and simply push it up.  Use some small slivers of wood to keep it in place and re-glue, lightly.

Once you've gotten the surface "level"- no very thin sanded patches, no dips more than <1/32 in.,  no places with broken joints between the ribs and sheet, and you're done.

Apply the SLC, or any of the low heat coverings.  Lay a piece on the bottom(for lapping areas)and iron it down.  It works best to push the bubble of covering that inevitably forms ahead of the iron.  Keep it smooth with no wrinkles or folds forming.  Do the application from the center of the wing or panel working towards the tips and the leading edge and trailing edge.

Once one side is covered and the edge overlap ironed around you can repeat the process of covering the top surface.

Good Luck George.
Phil C
phil Cartier

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2022, 07:12:07 PM »
Does SLC have glue on it? I seem to remember they said to put it on with 3M77 contact cement spray. Didn't sound like something I wanted to try.

Motorman 8)
That legend comes from using 3M77 on a film that has no adhexive on it.  It still works, though, if you don't want to get some adhesive onto the ribs and not prime the whole sheet of covering.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here