News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:41:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SkyRay OTS Legal???  (Read 1874 times)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
SkyRay OTS Legal???
« on: July 29, 2006, 09:56:16 PM »
Is a SkyRay OTS legal? Classic?

What about a Twister or Flite Streak?

And I think engine has to be old like a Fox. No new stuff?

Thanks
Paul
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: SkyRay OTS Legal???
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 10:00:03 PM »
Nope on all three.  Old Time has a dead line of December 1952.   Classic is December of 1969.  Oh I know there is a group of youngsters that want the 70's planes added, but, I say leave it as is.   DOC Holliay
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 10:21:28 PM »
Speaking of OTS, Doc is quiet the celebrity in the new August MA, page 141. Great pix, and a grand looking Dragon! Is that all tissue and dope? Where'd you get the graphics? Or is it airbrush.....very nice!
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 10:55:35 PM »
Is a SkyRay OTS legal? Classic?

No way, not even close, missed by at least 30 years for OTS. The Skyray (35, I presume you mean, not the 1/2A) only dates to the mid-80s. Mike tells me it's based on a slow combat design.

Coincidence or not, it also closely resembles a Flite Streak with squared-off parts and a longer tail moment. The airfoil is darn near identical, and the tail proportions are very, very close.

Brett

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 07:26:31 AM »
Here is the best available list of OTS airplanes. http://www.iroquois.free-online.co.uk/cl.htm

The PAMPA OTS rules are on the PAMPA website.

The Flitestreak is, of course (late '50's), Classic legal.  At the Sig contest, the Twister and Banshee have been declared Classic legal.  But that only applies to that contest.

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 09:39:55 AM »
During the mid/late fifties (years, not age) I flew mostly .15 size planes. I remember standing my LHS (Joyner's Bicycle Shop, Lexington, KY) trying to decide between a Ringmaster Jr. @ $1.50, and a Flite Streak Jr. @ $1.95. That was a big difference to a kid in his teens. Walked away with my first Flite Streak Jr. kit.

Those were the days. Sighhh...

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 11:00:07 AM »
During the mid/late fifties (years, not age) I flew mostly .15 size planes. I remember standing my LHS (Joyner's Bicycle Shop, Lexington, KY) trying to decide between a Ringmaster Jr. @ $1.50, and a Flite Streak Jr. @ $1.95. That was a big difference to a kid in his teens. Walked away with my first Flite Streak Jr. kit.

Those were the days. Sighhh...

George

I bought a Ringmaster Jr. at Joyner's Bike Shop in the early 70's (which was pretty much near the end of the Joyner's Bike Shop era).

I bought a few Lionel train transformers just up the street from Joyners at that antique shop.

Brett

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 08:01:54 PM »
In answer to the Dragon that uncle mikey put in MA.  It is getting some age on it and is going to be retired.  The covering is Super Coverite.  A friend of my son's painted the dragon.  The fuse is covered with carbon veil and Brodak dope clear.  The color is Brodak Red.  The top coat is all Brodak clear.  If you look real close you will see it is a good Dragon according to the guy that painted it.  Do you know why?   Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 04:57:39 PM »
In answer to the Dragon that uncle mikey put in MA.  It is getting some age on it and is going to be retired.  The covering is Super Coverite.  A friend of my son's painted the dragon.  The fuse is covered with carbon veil and Brodak dope clear.  The color is Brodak Red.  The top coat is all Brodak clear.  If you look real close you will see it is a good Dragon according to the guy that painted it.  Do you know why?   Later,  DOC Holliday

Doc, Is it because the Dragons a RED HEAD?
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 08:44:02 PM »
According to the guy that painted that Dragon for me, he stated that only good Dragons have balls.  Look in the one paw/hand of the Dragon.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 08:46:03 AM »
    I bought a Ringmaster Jr. at Joyner's Bike Shop in the early 70's (which was pretty much near the end of the Joyner's Bike Shop era).

I bought a few Lionel train transformers just up the street from Joyners at that antique shop.

Brett

I used to stop in to see Harold LeMay whenever I was in Lexington. Very nice fellow. I would come in the back way, through the alley, and enter the back door. To my surprise one day, the new owner told me that Harold had "Got the calling" and was preaching in a neighboring town. The bike shop sold only bicycles then, don't know if Harold opened up another shop in his new location. Perhaps Georgetown?
If I'm thinking of the same antique shop, I used to trade/buy comics there as a kid.
George Bain
AMA 23454

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here