News:

• March 29, 2024, 08:12:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Skin cancer  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Skin cancer
« on: January 20, 2018, 08:56:44 PM »
When flying, judging, or otherwise participating in outdoor activities, please do use plenty of sunscreen!  As a result of many years in Free Flight and, later, CL Stunt judging, I am now dealing with multiple skin cancer surgeries (3rd time around).  Not fun!  Don't let this happen to you.  Seek shade, and above all, use sunscreen products.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Skin cancer
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 09:05:28 PM »
   Uncle Mikey,
I'm sure I can speak for a lot of people on here in offering up prayers and good thoughts for you while you deal with this. Hang tough and keep punching!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 01:07:07 AM »
Hi Mike,
Long time no see.
Yeah I am very sorry for your problems with skin cancer.  I pray for you often.
Your advice is very sage and appreciated. 

I also have had some  problems with skin cancer caused by a long life in the sun, especially long hours in Vietnam and South America.  About the only places I know where the sun is even more intense than Arizona.

So far I've been a little luckier with it than most, in that mine has been limited to my hands and a couple of spots on my shoulders and chest and the top of one ear.  Just relatively slow growing Basil Cell for the most part.  A couple of somewhat faster growing types on my hand.  So far nothing really serious like you my friend.

Hope to see you, if even briefly at the Southwest Regionals.  Take care of yourself!

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 07:32:45 AM »
I lather the sunscreen on like Kabuki make-up these days.
Had several basil cells cancers removed and one bout with melanoma on my left arm. It was in-situ but now I drive with UV arm and hand protectors on.
Stay vigilant.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 01:59:23 PM »
Melanoma is a bad thing.  I hope all goes well for you.

At least, it is easily accessible, and not buried in the liver or pancreas.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 06:10:20 AM »
Mike     Hope you do well.
   Here is my story and it may help you to feel encouraged. I have had a lot of skin cancer for over 30 years.
   20 years ago I got a very nasty spot on my right ear. It was melanoma. After the diagnosis I went into the hospital the next day.
   They took a large part of my ear and told me it was may not be all goon. I was told it may have gone in to my brain and It was a wait and see.
   I went back in a week then a month then six months. He said more than likely I would be OK for a long time.The first few years were scary but I forgot about it
 until some one mentions they have skin problems.

Ed Ruane   
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 12:49:58 PM »
I guess I am lucky in all the years I spent out in the sun shine here in Kansas and Missouri.   Working a riding stables for a couple of years,  hauling/pitching bales of hay and picking apples/pears.  Then on the farm doing the plowing, planting, and harvesting the crops.  Of course I was covered good with a good straw hat and long sleeve work clothes.  Took a lot of ribbing because of the heavy clothes.  Also gloves were worn during most of these jobs.  But, light skinned I sum burned easily, not like my brothers who would get tans people pay money for.   Until I moved back to KC most of my jobs were out doors almost 7 days a week when you count herding the cows and other farm animals.

Yes, I could tell when I went to the NATS or a week end contest, I was not out in the sun enough living and working in the city as by mid week my nose would be peeling.  So far(knock on wood) no cancer.   So Mike and all you guys/gals take care of yourselves.

Also that is why I have a beard and mustache. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 12:59:16 PM »
Add me to both lists...sending Mike my best wishes...and also add my own experiences with both basal cell carcinomas and a melanoma. So far, so good. Like most of us, we didn't have sun screen when I was a kid, and sunburns were a way of life. Now, we're paying the price.

Since I both fish and fly model aeroplanes, I typically wear long pants, a long sleeved shirt, and either a big floppy straw hat or a ball cap with a "Buff". I should be wearing sun gloves also...have some fingerless ones, but need to dig them out. You can find all that stuff at Tackle Warehouse (.com)...good place to buy online...speedy and trustworthy with good prices.  y1 Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 10:33:40 PM »
Best wishes for full recovery, Mike. We really weren't warned much about sun screening in our generation. I keep a close watch now on my left arm, which spent so much time on open car window sills before air conditioning. 'glad you have the care needed.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 06:46:07 AM »
Mike best wishes. I'm dealing with Melanoma RIGHT NOW as well. I have a crater on my back large enough to drop a golf ball into. Luckily for me they said that they're removed all of the cancer cells and I should be ok. As I sit here typing I've got 30 stitches on my back where I was closed up just 5 days ago. Although I do use tons of sun screen ,wear a hat and collared shirt, the sun  still got to me. Now, I'm worried about all of the other moles and freckles I've got all over me. Hopefully we'll all be ok.

This thing is no joke,protect yourselves.....to many models to build!

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 08:53:32 PM »
Thanks, everyone.  No melanoma here -- at least not yet.  So far, it's all Basal & Squamous Cell carcinoma...."easily" excised via MOHS surgery (Google it).

Not fun, for sure!  Sunscreen doesn't seem to doing its job.  But then, all those years in Kuwait & Saudi Arabia probably didn't help, either.  Nor did moving to Arizona!!!

At any rate, please do cover-up and use sunscreen.  You don't want to go through these medical procedures.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 09:16:43 PM »
I grew up in the deep south when our parents knew nothing about sunscreen.  Even in my adolescent and adult age I engaged in high risk activities such as sailing and doing summer parades with a pipe band for decades.  Glengarries offer little facial protection and parades are always at high noon.

I have a healthy dose of seborrheic kerotosis on my back and torso and see a dermatologist on a regular basis.  So far nothing they are concerned about but yeah, I do sunscreen now at every opportunity.

Hope everyone exercises due dilligence and should something crop up, get it checked early!

Offline Don Chandler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 10:51:49 AM »
Same thing with me. Had 3 of them in 2017 and about a half dozen others over the last 27 years or so. sun screen is a must and I have to confess that is one rule I constantly break.

Don

Offline Preston Briggs

• New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 04:46:33 PM »
So far, it's all Basal & Squamous Cell carcinoma...."easily" excised via MOHS surgery (Google it).

For me, they haven't taken a lot of time or hurt much,
but they cost about $1K a pop.

Preston

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here