• April 23, 2024, 06:34:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Skills  (Read 2050 times)

Offline Jim Pollock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Skills
« on: September 23, 2006, 01:14:09 PM »
I was wondering about the loss of building skills.  I have been fairly inactive in building since about 2001 and my skills at building seem to have slipped a good bit.  I know because I am working on a Dolphin and at just about every juncture when I am doing something I stop and say - no, that's not how to do it and start over again.  Sometimes nearly making a huge mess in the process.  Has anyone else gone through this?  If so, what helped get over it?

Thanks,

Jim Pollock, the building bumbler

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Skills
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 01:29:59 PM »
I know because I am working on a Dolphin and at just about every juncture when I am doing something I stop and say - no, that's not how to do it and start over again. Sometimes nearly making a huge mess in the process. Has anyone else gone through this? If so, what helped get over it?

Thanks,

Jim Pollock, the building bumbler

Gosh, pretty hard for me to give advice to someone who builds better by accident than I do on purpose. A few years ago I had a bad accident, a lot of surgeries, drugs etc. Which left me kind of uncoordinated. So often I have to tell myself stop, slowdown, does this meet my standards. I often have to scrap parts just because I have not thought it out properly. You cannot be in a hurry. Just slowing down and giving it some thought has helped me a bunch. Grins
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 04:03:52 PM »
Jim,

I know how you feel.  I spent the past few years getting re-started in a new career.  Now I find I do things backwards or when a component is complete I realize I did it too soon or wrong.  I have a shop full of pieces that I keep as reminders of how not to do things.

It does come back though.
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 04:46:04 PM »
For me, a lot of building is organizing the steps; not always the way the instructions/plans say, but in the order that works for me.

Since I have retired, I usually spend a few minutes each night (mostly the last 5 min. before I conk out at night!) thinking about what I want to do tomorrow and how I will do it.  I also sometimes make a written list of what the next steps are.

As far as the actual hand/finger work--I was never really good at that, anyway.  I do spend what I think is a lot of time getting alignment items as close as possible with the tools I have.

I am trying to teach myself to do a better job of fitting  and sanding of parts during construction.  I now sand all the sheet parts and many strip parts before assembly.
Seems to help--if I don't get everything dinged up during building.

Building and learning--an unending process for me.

Jim
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 09:57:41 PM by Jim Oliver »
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 05:20:17 PM »
I can sure relate.. Part of my problem is my memory really sucks and I forget how I did it the last time n~

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 05:54:49 PM »
I understand what you mean. The times in the past that I've taken a break from building for awhile, I find I forget a lot of little things. Tricks I learned or whatever.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 05:56:26 PM »
Hi Jim,

As you well know, I'm an Idiot Savant when it comes to this stuff.  That and the fact that I'm the blind hog that grubs up some acorns every now and then!

It will all come back, just don't make it rocket science and go ahead and build.  I know way too many people that are hit with paralysis by analysis.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Alan Hayes

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 06:39:12 PM »
Well said Bill.  You do not ever lose what you have learned.  You may be a little rusty, but you do not lose.

I have been building for over 39 years, and buy no means at the level of most, but I always learn with every airframe built....just getting back into the groove of building after a layoff myself....man I should have done this, man I should have done that....are you listening Bill?

Just enjoy!

AMA 7064

"The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have" ~ Vince Lombardi

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 08:11:17 PM »
Well said Bill.  You do not ever lose what you have learned.  You may be a little rusty, but you do not lose.

I have been building for over 39 years, and buy no means at the level of most, but I always learn with every airframe built....just getting back into the groove of building after a layoff myself....man I should have done this, man I should have done that....are you listening Bill?

Just enjoy!

Hi Alan,

I'm listening!  I just want to get you, Phil, Aaron, Thomas and me together and FLY!!!!!!!!  y1  j1  #^ f~

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Alan Hayes

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 08:29:44 PM »
Hi Bill,

As long as it is not Monday-Saturday it's a date!
AMA 7064

"The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have" ~ Vince Lombardi

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006, 06:32:47 AM »
Bill,

The new Guy in Fayettville NC, Paul Dayson might like to meet up with y'all and get to know
and fly with you as well....

Jim Pollock y1

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006, 11:06:52 AM »
like Greg i have had recent problems
 the best therapy i have had is building and flying agin(havent done much in years)

at first it was difficult and frustrating now its better

hand eye coordination coming back rapidly

3d visulasation is coming back

eyesite improving

feeling and looking younger and havin more fun than ever

if it gets any better i go gona start charging admission!
David
David Roland

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here