News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:39:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sitting and spinning  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Sidney Raiford

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Sitting and spinning
« on: July 08, 2021, 06:53:21 PM »
Hello all,
I am thinking of trying PA as a beginner- I have a lot of flying under my belt, but only combat and rat. I have major vertigo problems these days and can only fly sitting down. My question- would I be allowed to use a swiveling bar stool to fly from in actual competition? I use one for sport flying and it works like a charm, otherwise I fall down on the first wingover and usually just lay there and fly out the tank.

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Sitting and spinning
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 07:07:13 PM »
Hi Sidney,
Personally, I think it would be fine. I fly with a cane due to back surgery that left me with damaged nerves in my left leg. (Can't move my foot or stand up with out a cane)

Good luck, Jerry

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 07:33:36 PM »
Hello all,

My question- would I be allowed to use a swiveling bar stool to fly from in actual competition?

I think that most Event Directors would not have a problem with your "solution".  They might be concerned about your safety regarding how stable that stool is and the problems you might have with wind.  I have seen a credible OTS pattern from a wheel chair in competition.

Keith

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 09:51:35 PM »
I can't think of a reason to not let you fly.  I had a bout with Vertigo in my early 40's. The real kind, not just getting dizzy when you look up.  It is not fun.  Fortunately I got over it.  The slightest wrong movement can put you down.  I commend you for trying.  I wonder if a rotating chair that could tilt back and let you fly the OH8 on your back,  humm........
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 11:38:17 PM »
Sorry to play the devils advocate  VD~

They have treatments for your problem, balance therapy being a good one. Go see an ENT doc, get checked out and do the treatments, you'll have a better quality of life.

My concern would be a field where the circles and pits were tight together with allot of activity. You could have a spell, stumble 10 feet and wonk that plane into someones head.

There's a field like that up in PA. When we go there I tell my wife, you see that line? this side is life and that side is death just to let her know we're not in Kansas anymore. Stay safe.

Motorman 8)
In a chair he is less of a threat than you tripping on a shoestring stumbling 10 feet and wonking your plane into someone's head.  Making it 10' while having a Vertigo attack might be a record.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 10:52:50 AM »
Vertigo is a common problem associated with advancing age.  I began to have instability with overhead 8s, looking straight up without any ground reference.  On my last flight, I had instability just going to inverted after several laps of upright.  It would be nice if there were some simple way to delay the onset of O.A.S. (old age syndrome).  I used to wonder watching old folks "tottering" while just trying to walk a straight line. Now "I Are One".
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2021, 11:55:54 AM »
That is my biggest problem right now for this old man.  That is the reason I use a cane and I have a new walker for when I go to Wally World or Sams.  No vehicle right now either. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2021, 12:25:09 PM »
Vertigo is a common problem associated with advancing age.  I began to have instability with overhead 8s, looking straight up without any ground reference.  On my last flight, I had instability just going to inverted after several laps of upright.  It would be nice if there were some simple way to delay the onset of O.A.S. (old age syndrome).  I used to wonder watching old folks "tottering" while just trying to walk a straight line. Now "I Are One".
It is not us.  It's the whole world spinning out of control and we have to watch.   So stop watching the news and you won't get dizzy anymore. The weaving part, let's not discuss that.  Old people do that not us.

ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2021, 01:08:43 PM »
The "sitting and spinning" has been done many times, OTS pattern and today's pattern by Carl Shoup, RIP.

Carl flew his Dale Kirn "Belfry Bound" while sitting in a wheelchair, flying with one hand, controlling his "spinning" wheelchair with his other hand, wrist, arms and shoulders, maintaining his position in relation to his airplane.

At the VSC he even did some amazing "backing up" to maintain line tension on approach and landing in some rather gusty, turbulent air.

It's all about courage and desire, and Carl had that in abundance.

dg

Anyone have videos?

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2021, 05:09:15 PM »
I always suggest trying accupuncture for vertigo. It helped my wife...at least, she told me it did. She tells me a lot of stuff; mostly not anything I want to hear.  VD~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2021, 05:31:07 AM »
Allan Perret designed a chair that the flying plane alone could pull around. Ball bearings, a ring for the feet to use, recline also I think. Someone may have a picture of it someplace.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2021, 08:08:13 AM »
   We had a guy in our club for a while who used a common office chair with wheel on the base. The model would pull him around when he would hold his feet off the ground. Then he could put a foot down and do a loop or something, and if he needed line tension he could push himself back on the chair wheels. You do need a good paved surface for this. I admired his attitude to keep at it. He tended to crash a lot but I think that was largely due to his skill level and other physical limitation, so I tried to help keep him in planes to fly and gave him a bunch f older models I had and any others that I would come across that I think he could fix up enough for one or two more flights. I don't remember what his specific health problem was, but he did have trouble even walking without a cane. Sadly, he passed away a few years ago, but I will always remember what he did and how he did it for when I get to a point where it will help me get a flight in now and then! And for that I am grateful for him. RIP Marvin Nelke.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Sidney Raiford

• New Pilot
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2021, 07:30:16 PM »
I would like to say Thank You to all the respondents, for your encouragement and alternative solutions. I just happen to have an old office swivel chair that has seen (much) better days. It's new designation is "Pilot's Seat". Again, thanks to all!

BTW, I go by my nickname- Gus..

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2021, 04:03:28 PM »
Here ya go

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2021, 01:03:58 PM »
How about some details on the chair?  I have an old chair needing to be recycled. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2021, 03:32:53 PM »
How about some details on the chair?  I have an old chair needing to be recycled. D>K
Honestly I do not remember them. But I believe Allan did make a post about the chair when it was constructed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2021, 08:11:54 PM »
This is the chair that Allan Perret designed for our club.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2021, 02:30:49 PM »
There were systems in the 40's and 50's where a seat and control column were outside the circle.  The control column was connected to a transfer bar on a pivot at the center of the circle.  The pilot in the seat could watch/control the airplane from outside the circle.

Keith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here