News:

• April 17, 2024, 08:21:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Silkspan  (Read 672 times)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Silkspan
« on: January 24, 2023, 11:52:42 AM »
Is there a current source for the "old" silkspan like we used to buy years ago?  I have used Polyspan a lot and it is good but would still like to buy some of the old type medium silkspan if there is still a source.

Mike

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Silkspan
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 12:40:35 PM »
I only use silkspan on solid surfaces. Poly span is so good I cannot comprehend wanting to use silkspan on open bays anymore. You might try the Doctor paper others were advocating for. I've never used it so have no idea how well it works. The only source for the "good stuff" of yesteryear is those that have a stash (me) or landfills.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 01:25:07 PM »
https://easybuiltmodels.com/#gsc.tab=0

I use the medium silkspan from Easy Built Models.  I cover bare wood with it.  Over open bays, I use something much stronger, such as polyspan.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 02:41:09 PM »
Sparky uses Brodak Silkspan, and ive never had an issue with it. Joe adamusko said Brodaks heavy silkspan is closer to the medium of yesteryear. I will use polyspan over the open bays only on this vector 40 I'm building, but nowhere else. If your looking to fill the grain on polyspan it will take to much dope to fill.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here