News:

• May 24, 2024, 05:03:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2019 Nats Beginner Model ID  (Read 1254 times)

Offline OpusP51

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
2019 Nats Beginner Model ID
« on: August 25, 2019, 11:16:33 AM »
It was a great year for us at the Nats, starting out on Sunday with Beginner. My Son, AJ Lee, flew in his first contest and  came home with some hardware! It was a challenging week including a few long nights in the hotel with a bottle of CA and Heat Gun, but we got everything together for him to compete in Jr on the Big Stage the following Saturday. A family highlight to have three generations competing and enjoying our hobby!

This is where I need some help from the  Stunt Hangar Community. After the Beginner event concluded, AJ was able to acquire a scratch built, ready to fly model called Spider 2.0. Most of the Beginner "swag" had contact info attached, but unfortunately the Spider came from an anonymous donor. We have since been out flying, and AJ has taken his first flight with the New To Him Model. And he loves it! So.....

Does anyone know who built the Spider 2.0??

We would like to say thank you to the generous individual! It looks like this model will take our fledgling Aerobat on to the next level!

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
Re: 2019 Nats Beginner Model ID
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 11:51:51 AM »
Todd-

I hope you won't mind my "borrowing" a picture for the newsletter. I was unable to find the Jr. Beginner results in a search. What did AJ bring home?

SK

Offline OpusP51

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 12:31:30 PM »
Hi Serge,

Borrow away!  AJ was Third in Jr Beginner, 8th overall. Also 4th in Jr PA, behind some very competitive and competent young fliers. Luca Alimov among them.  #^

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 03:42:54 PM »
Richard Imhoff of MI donated the Spyder.  His friends are John Paris and Steve Hines. He's on this forum and sometimes joins our live chats on Friday and Monday.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Richard Imhoff

• 2019 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 03:53:55 PM »
Glad some one got who will put it to good use. It's a really good flying plane and very very tough. Will do the beginner patter with ease and then some. ENJOY !!
Rich.

Be there next year as I have a few more to give away to the beginners that are even better!
Dick Imhoff  AMA 58502

Combat, Racing, Stunt, and big time fun flyer, and Maybe a bit of carrier.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 06:43:16 PM »
Great photos!  I like the transparent SkyRay.

Thanks for the note on the fuel. Hope you can keep him on the handle.

Anyone know who got the Blue and white Nobler? It’s a great flyer with the LA 46. Sweet 4-2 break.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline OpusP51

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 02:46:09 PM »
Thank you for the replies, Gentleman! Yes, the model is certainly appreciated!! I hope to have some updates as AJ gets a bit farther along. It’s fun to see the Big Cheezy Grin when he talks about the Spider. Lol. ;D

Offline Richard Imhoff

• 2019 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 03:01:02 PM »
The original Spider was a lew Woolard and Mike Talman slow combat design from the mid 70's. That is all I flew back themin slow and won many many matches with them, this is one of the modded versions with longer nose and tail moments. I still build the same design but with flaps and 500 sq inch wings. Still a fav design of mine to just enjoy flying.

Here is a couple electric versions.

Dick Imhoff  AMA 58502

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 04:52:15 PM »
Cool planes.   
Here is a view of the plan sheet for that Lou Woolard Spider.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline OpusP51

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 05:07:24 PM »
Outstanding!!! Thank you for the Plans link. I wasn’t aware of it being a Tallman/Woodard design. The Sad Part is that I grew up in Kansas flying with both of them. I think they would both by happy to hear of  their design and Richard’s model being flown by an aspiring Jr stunt flyer. One more reason to keep the Spider Flying!!!

Thank you to all who have added to the thread.

Todd

Offline Richard Imhoff

• 2019 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 06:01:06 PM »
You bet that plane brings back some great  memories. I still have a couple from back them hanging o the wall.  Powered by either a green head or a fox they won me many matches.
That plane design was what I built for Samatha Hines, she won many contests with them and still has a couple from them hanging in the basement.
I won intermeidate  at the nats with a version of it in 2013 I gave that one away a few years ago.

Enjoy Rich.
Dick Imhoff  AMA 58502

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here