News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:58:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Show Us Your 2021 Nats Planes!  (Read 11134 times)

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Show Us Your 2021 Nats Planes!
« on: June 03, 2021, 01:59:37 PM »
How about posting pictures of your 2021 Nats airplanes? 
For those of us that can't attend, it would be great to see the awesome selection of planes heading to Muncie this year.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Show Us Your 2021 Nats Planes!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 05:49:41 PM »
Here’s mine! A whopping 17 flights on it this year, but it trimmed out to be the best airplane I’ve flown!
Matt Colan

Offline Joseph Daly

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 04:43:37 AM »
Here is mine.

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 06:06:52 AM »
Original design "PointsFinder EP"
620 squares, 57oz, Cobra 3520, 5S 3000 Lipo
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 06:52:06 AM »
Here’s mine! A whopping 17 flights on it this year, but it trimmed out to be the best airplane I’ve flown!
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 06:52:52 AM »
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 10:56:40 AM »
heres mine
AMA 12366

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 11:28:30 AM »
heres mine

Awesome Robert!!!
The Tucker is one of my favorite Classic designs.
I hope she does well for you

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 12:22:25 PM »
heres mine

Outstanding!

What a message this model is sending! And we know you do your own work. H^^

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 03:34:56 PM »
I might fly this one if I can trim it out
AMA 12366

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 03:58:19 PM »
Awesome Robert!!!
The Tucker is one of my favorite Classic designs.
I hope she does well for you

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Thanks Larry but it's not really a Tucker it's a 60 inch look alike
AMA 12366

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 05:29:43 PM »
Thanks Larry but it's not really a Tucker it's a 60 inch look alike
Both are beautiful.  Fly the one that flies the best but if they fly the same fly the "Tucker", it is beautifuller. H^^

ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2021, 05:49:09 PM »
Here’s mine. Relentless version of the Nemesis.

Hey Matt; I'm up to 9 flights on mine.

Steve

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2021, 08:43:31 PM »
I plan to debut the FW at the Dallas contest this coming weekend.  Then it is on to the Nats.

Joe

Offline George Grossardt

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2021, 10:28:55 PM »
I plan to debut the FW at the Dallas contest this coming weekend.  Then it is on to the Nats.

Joe

What an awesome build.

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2021, 05:38:08 PM »
heres mine

Love the Dr. Pepper theme. I’m an addict!

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2021, 06:00:14 PM »

Joe
New one?

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2021, 06:14:30 PM »
I failed to finish my Pathfinder LE so I’ll be flying my SV11 arf. Only complaint is no appearance points.

Matt

Offline JHildreth

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2021, 08:48:56 PM »
Ken,
   I only have one FW.  Even though I flew it for the first time in April of last year, Dallas will be the first contest I will have flown it in.  As you can guess, this is all because of the virus situation plus a little help from all the bad weather around Dallas this spring.

Joe

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2021, 01:02:52 PM »
After 8 days here’s where Samuel is at with his Dixon Vector .40 Profile. Color going on next. Current weight is 39oz w/engine, tank, wheels. It’ll get a 1 color dope finish with some simple vinyl striping of some kind since we started way to late. An LA .46 with Brian Gardner internals will go up front. Probably be trimming it out at Muncie. ;D ;D
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2021, 02:39:55 PM »
When we smell dope at the hotel we'll know which room it's coming from.....That's a Nats tradition......isn't it?

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2021, 03:27:10 PM »
When we smell dope at the hotel we'll know which room it's coming from.....That's a Nats tradition......isn't it?

Dave
You just might Dave! #^ #^
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2021, 04:38:05 PM »
After 8 days here’s where Samuel is at with his Dixon Vector .40 Profile. Color going on next. Current weight is 39oz w/engine, tank, wheels. It’ll get a 1 color dope finish with some simple vinyl striping of some kind since we started way to late. An LA .46 with Brian Gardner internals will go up front. Probably be trimming it out at Muncie. ;D ;D

Why so much engine for that size and weight airplane? I know everyone loves the LA.46 and it's a great engine when matched to a proper size and weight model, but you are only using about half of it in that airplane. I mounted a LA.46 on a profile Cardinal for a while just to check out that particular engine, and had a hard time detuning it and getting a satisfactory run and lap time. I put a LA.40 in it and it was much easier to get set up and dialed in. I ran a LA.46 in a Sakitumi for several years and did well with it, and then decided to go back to an FP-40 in that model and I think it's a better match. You can get the engine to run better near peak power output instead of trying to dial a .46 back well off it's peak power output. Just asking.
   Good luck at the NATS SAM!
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2021, 05:01:10 PM »

Dan has some good points in his post.  This airplane would be much happier with any good 35, or even a 25FP than with the 46LA.  It’s needlessly powerful and heavy for a 39oz 50” plane.  In addition to the run issues Dan mentioned, remember that all that weight up front from that engine and larger tank has to be balanced by adding weight at the back.

You can probably make it all work ok, but there are easier roads to take. 

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2021, 05:15:34 PM »
   Why so much engine for that size and weight airplane?

Because the LA46 is a better engine for most fliers than the FP40/LA40, in that it is nearly foolproof to operate.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Online Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2021, 05:53:36 PM »
Dan has some good points in his post.  This airplane would be much happier with any good 35, or even a 25FP than with the 46LA.  It’s needlessly powerful and heavy for a 39oz 50” plane.  In addition to the run issues Dan mentioned, remember that all that weight up front from that engine and larger tank has to be balanced by adding weight at the back.

You can probably make it all work ok, but there are easier roads to take. 

Gary

It will do just fine with that engine. And it won't be a 39 oz plane. It won't need tail weight.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2021, 05:57:06 PM »
To Dan and Gary. Firstly the plane is at 39ozs NOW. I expect it to gain several more ozs with color and clear dope as well as adding hinges, epoxying the wing in, fillets, spinner and the rest of the control system. I think you are mistaken if you think a .25 will fly this plane, an exceptional .35 might do it if it stayed at 39ozs (which it won't). I don't think underpowering it is an easier road to take. Why the .46? Because I have seen 2 of these exact same airplanes perform flawlessly with that exact same engine set-up. I have been beaten in Profile Advanced my last 2 outings by a guy with the same plane/engine. I appreciate your input, thank you for wishing Sam luck.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 07:52:57 PM by mike londke »

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2021, 06:17:52 PM »
If it were mine, it would have the 46 in it.

No chance a 25 would work in it.

Offline Leonard Bourel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2021, 06:37:44 PM »
Hey Mike and Sam I agree Totally the 46 is the way to go  Keep up the great work !!!!!

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2021, 07:58:42 PM »
To Dan and Gary. Firstly the plane is at 39ozs NOW. I expect it to gain several more ozs with color and clear dope as well as adding hinges, epoxying the wing in, fillets, spinner and the rest of the control system. I think you are mistaken if you think a .25 will fly this plane an exceptional .35 might do it if it stayed at 39ozs (which it won't). I don't think underpowering it is an easier road to take. Why the .46? Because I have seen 2 of these exact same airplanes perform flawlessly with that exact same engine set-up. I have been beaten in Profile Advanced my last 2 outings by a guy with the same plane/engine. I appreciate your input, thank you for wishing Sam luck.

Most definitely I did NOT recommend a .25!  n1  I mentioned a LA.40 is more in the wheel house of this size and weight model. Reread my post. The LA.40 gets a lot of bad press and I don't understand why, as they handle the same,  to me, as the .46, just use less prop and make less power. I use them pretty much straight out of the box and like I posted before I found them easier to get matched up to a plane that size. I have been down the .25 road with models this size like Twisters, Primary Force, original Tutor and such and while you can get them to fly the pattern, you are right at or just beyond their peak power and have nothing left for adverse conditions and such. I like an engine to work, but not get over worked. And the flip side of that is if you have to detune it below a certain level, I think it's kind of a waste and it presents it's own kind of problems. Even if the model comes in between 45 to 50 ounces, that is still well within the capabilities of the LA.40, (or the FP-40, which I give a slight edge in power to.) and have some power to spare and use a wider range of props and operating it near where it makes it's best power. To me, the LA.46 really starts to shine when model weight starts getting up between 50 to 60 ounces and 500 to 600 sq in., which is what the range that I think the average joe bell crank tends to build and finish in. And one thing to keep in mind is, you got beat the last two times out in advanced by the pilot, not the airplane!!  Again, just asking, and again, good luck at the NATS!
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2021, 08:40:45 PM »
The LA46 is my IC weapon of choice but they are NOT foolproof.  I had one that started acting up and nothing I could do worked.  The motor hero in our flying group (he could probably make a WenMac start) fiddled with it and it started working perfect again...proof that it is only fool-resistant. I don't subscribe to the always run at peak power group.  The LA is perfectly comfortable dialed back to a fast 4.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2021, 07:24:37 AM »
Here's my new twin design, the Wildfire. (Crossfire... Wildfire... Get it?)

Bob Hunt

« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 07:44:30 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2021, 10:14:25 AM »
To Dan and Gary. Firstly the plane is at 39ozs NOW. I expect it to gain several more ozs with color and clear dope as well as adding hinges, epoxying the wing in, fillets, spinner and the rest of the control system. I think you are mistaken if you think a .25 will fly this plane, an exceptional .35 might do it if it stayed at 39ozs (which it won't). I don't think underpowering it is an easier road to take. Why the .46? Because I have seen 2 of these exact same airplanes perform flawlessly with that exact same engine set-up. I have been beaten in Profile Advanced my last 2 outings by a guy with the same plane/engine. I appreciate your input, thank you for wishing Sam luck.
Note that I did not say “a 25”, I said a 25FP, and there is a difference.  The 25FP is at least a match for the Fox 35, and that engine has powered untold numbers of 45-50 oz, 500-550 sq in stunt planes over the decades.  Things such as Super Chipmunk’s and Noblers, etc, have all performed at high competition levels with a lowly Fox 35 up front.
As described, your plane may well end up slightly north of 45oz, and with your stated wing area, I would assume it would be in the same basic class as a Nobler or Super Chipmunk, which is why I’m certain that a decent 35 should be fine.

But, it’s not my plane and I certainly didn’t intend to start an argument. Please disregard and carry on.

Gary

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2021, 08:42:40 PM »

Bob Hunt

Gee Bob, looks like the SuperFil worked really well.  :##
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2021, 10:49:44 PM »

Bob Hunt

Bob, that is a thing of beauty!!!!

Gary

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2021, 10:54:33 PM »
My painting skills are a bit rusty.

Hope everyone has an enjoyable Nats.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2021, 06:30:50 PM »
Here is mine.
Been a tough year. Only have about 250 flights on it this year so far. Last week saw most days at 30 + winds  and then today it was dead still. At least I could fly in the dead still!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2021, 08:44:04 PM »
Here is mine.
Been a tough year. Only have about 250 flights on it this year so far. Last week saw most days at 30 + winds  and then today it was dead still. At least I could fly in the dead still!

Looks familiar. I really like this model, scheme and color choice.

Triple kudos!!

CB

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2021, 09:08:39 PM »
Looks familiar. I really like this model, scheme and color choice.

Triple kudos!!

CB

Thank you!

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2021, 09:49:48 PM »
 Seems like many are holding their cards here.  D>K
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2021, 10:47:30 PM »
My painting skills are a bit rusty.

Hope everyone has an enjoyable Nats.

I think it is the humidity in the air where you live rusting the iron based paint!  🤣🤣🤣

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2021, 06:23:48 AM »
Here is mine.

Only 250?? I think that’s more than I’ve flown in the last three years! I’m up to 23 flights for the year….should arrive in Muncie with 26.
Matt Colan

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2021, 06:26:07 AM »

Bob Hunt

So is the next one the Bonfire?  LL~
AMA 12366

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2021, 06:53:33 AM »
So is the next one the Bonfire?  LL~
Can we stop with the "fires"! LL~

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2021, 08:17:09 AM »
OK....
One more....

Fireflies!
Wes Eakin

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2021, 08:42:25 AM »
Thank you!

Paul,

If you've read my other Posts and replies, I'm sure you know I'm not one to fraternize.

It's a great looking model, or I would have said nothing.

An usual but excellent blend of color choice, placement, plus percentages of color. Well balanced as we say in the graphics trade.

Every design, scheme, "creation" especially a model of this "visual" character, has a "back story."

I'd be interested in this story and how the finished product came about?

Kudos again.

CB

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2021, 09:07:48 AM »

There is not much of a back story.

The paint scheme was a response to a couple of issues. The first was the 2020 Nat's plane being red and it tended to be harder to see than I had imagined. I got that comment at the Nat's, after the Nat's, and I could see the issue on video. Then there is the 92 impact. It is nearly 30 years old, and the covering very brittle. I sprayed it with Brodak Rejuvinator, and it helped. Got a flight on it that way. But, it was too easy to punch holes in the covering, and it is once again unplayable. I was considering refinishing it for display.

These two problems came together on the new plane. Why not paint the new on as a tribute to the 92 plane, and it will be more visible. With modern software and hardware, cutting masks for it was simple and made the whole process go quite fast.

The finished product flies at 62.5 ounces  all fueled up!

This one did not fly right off the bench. It was quite the opposite. I almost hung it on the wall and pulled out the refinished 2019, 2020 plane, also in these colors. But, bit by bit it came around, and it won the flyoff to attend the Nat's this year. It was during the back to back flights on the two planes that I found the last remaining trim change that made it the winner.

So, it will be attending the Nat's as my primary plane, and the refinished 2019, 2020 plane will be an able backup!

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2021, 09:41:55 AM »

The paint scheme was a response to a couple of issues. The first was the 2020 Nat's plane being red and it tended to be harder to see than I had imagined.

Reduced red sensitivity is the most common color vision defect. That's why I usually wear yellow-brown sunglass lenses - lightens the red relative to the other colors, and only has minimal negative effect on the green background.

My buddies at work don't like the color selections I make for plots, etc, which are colors on black backgrounds. Standard RGB red is really dark, standard RGB blue is much brighter - to me. Everybody else seems to see the red very brightly and the blue is too dark for them. I have to lighten the blue for them with other colors.

Red= roll, Blue/Purple = Pitch, Yellow = Yaw, what could be more obvious?

This one did not fly right off the bench. It was quite the opposite. I almost hung it on the wall ..

I can sympathize with that one...   "Brownian motion" trim changes have resolved most of my problems, aside from my brain.

Brett

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2021, 10:05:48 AM »
250 flights is about 6 flights twice a week for 5 months. I can see that, I fly 6-8 times a session but the weather doesn't let me get out often enough to get a high total number.

Motorman 8)

I doubt I’ve been able to put in 250 patterns since I started flying PA in spring of ‘18!

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2021, 01:44:45 PM »
I doubt I’ve been able to put in 250 patterns since I started flying PA in spring of ‘18!

In my "prime" I used to burn 60 to 70 gallons a year! And that was  with a 6 ounce tank!  I am now a mere shadow of my previous years.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here