News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:42:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Short fat fuel tanks  (Read 798 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Short fat fuel tanks
« on: September 23, 2021, 03:07:13 PM »
So if I just built something that looked like this tank, would it probably work?  Assuming I put the tubes in the right spots internally?

Put another way -- are there any non-obvious tricks inside, like baffles or whatnot?

I have a plane that needs a tank, and I prefer to build my own (and I'm in a hurry).

AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Short fat fuel tanks
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 03:12:35 PM »
  Yeah, that would work, should be no problem. get the pick up tube in place and secure, then make the vent/uniflow end up in the wedge where you want it and secure it to the wedge part of the tank body to limit it from vibrating, if you can't secure it to the pick up tube. I see no problems.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 03:51:56 PM »
So if I just built something that looked like this tank, would it probably work?  Assuming I put the tubes in the right spots internally?

Put another way -- are there any non-obvious tricks inside, like baffles or whatnot?

I have a plane that needs a tank, and I prefer to build my own (and I'm in a hurry).

Tim, I used those on Busters & Shoestrings when I was a youngster.  I am not 100% on this one but I think, if it was the Veco that it had a baffle.  However that was 50+ years ago and my "steel Trap" is a bit rusted.

Ken

AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 08:13:53 PM »
I used a tank exactly like that on several profiles for several years.  Worked just fine.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here