News:

• April 26, 2024, 04:30:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Battery charger suggestions.  (Read 1973 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Battery charger suggestions.
« on: January 09, 2019, 12:00:31 PM »
        Hi:

What brand, model and source would one suggest that I could purchase a battery charger to do the following tasks:
 Charge 10 1.2 sub c ni cads in series.

Be inexpensive as this is the only task required.  Nothing that will charge many different batteries at various voltages.  Only a 12 volt ability  KISS, is wanted.

Suggestions/comments

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
Re: Battery charger suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 02:07:16 PM »
If all you're doing is charging nicads, ask around the club - someone is bound to have an old one they'll give you.

Most RC modellers these days wouldn't even know what a nicad is!
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Ruslan Kurenkov

• Commander
  • UKR 995 / FAI 91828
    • controllineparts.com
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 02:54:24 PM »
Hello Frank
To start the engine, to glow its glow plug, I have been using two nickel-cadmium batteries from a military field radio for 1.2 volts 10,000 mAh for a very long time. The total is 2.4 volts and 20000 mAh. Such a battery is enough for me for 200 starts through a voltage converter up to 1.5-1.8 volts. I have been charging this nickel-cadmium battery for many years with the cheapest charging aimax B6 mini. It costs $ 30 plus a 12 volt power supply and 5 amps for $ 10. Enter Google search and buy this charge from your vendor who’s nearby. I am very pleased with this charger. Moreover, I even charged them with my lead battery from the car.
Regards,Ruslan

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 04:40:22 PM »
You are not going to find a nicad only charger anymore. Like Ruslan said the B6 is about as good as it gets for cheep.  Hobby King has a China copy for $18.22 or an original for $29,

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/imax-b6-dc-charger-5a-50w-copy.html?___store=en_us

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/imax-b6-50w-5a-charger-discharger-1-6-cells-genuine.html?___store=en_us

I would go for the original.  I have one and it works great on all types of batteries.  Dose require a 12 VDC supply.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 05:42:42 PM »
  Did we not already cover this once already Frank? Maybe you need to review the thread. All you need is the least expensive charger that will handle ten cells of nicad/nickle metal hydride batteries. Tons of them out there. here is the old thread:

https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/how-to-recharge-batteries-for-sullivan-starter/

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 08:17:28 AM »
      Hi Dan et .al.:

The reason the that I reposted the question was that I was not getting much information concerning battery chargers that met my needs. I called Sonic Tronics and they could not help.  I called large hobby supply stores and WOW! Am I looking for something that is obsolete? Nobody uses  1.2v Sub C vbatteries anymore? I will renew my search.  Helo E Bay and Amazon! 

Thanks for all of the help,

Frank McCune

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 12:44:14 PM »
Commercial hobby chargers will work with NiCd or NiMH, but not 10 of them in series.  These cells are best charged by the Constant Current method.  This requires a DC voltage source greater than the sum of the NiCd voltage.  A series resistor is inserted in the charging path to limit charge current to a constant value.

For instance, if a 24 Volt DC source is used, the difference in voltage is 24-12= 12V.  The charge limiting resistor value is then this difference divided by the charge current required.

The supply voltage can be provided by an inexpensive DC power supply; either a linear supply or a switching supply.  Current rating of the power supply must be at least equal to the desired charge current./

Check the offerings at Digi-Key electronics or Mouser electronics.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 01:52:16 PM »
        Hello Mr. Carter

Thanks for the prompt reply.

A mate of mine charged my battery pack on his battery charger,  This was a charger that was able to charge many different types of batteries.  It was powered by a 12v lead acid battery??????  If this worked, is there any reason why I just could not jump the battery in my car to the 12v battery pack for a recharge?  How much current would this draw?  Too much perhaps.  Help me out as to how current would 10 sub c ni cads draw.  I think total would be 1.3amps maximum.

What about using an electric train transformer?  I have one with 4 variable taps for voltage.  I have no idea as to wether they provide dc or ac.  Can a variable resistor be used with dc?  I remember the electromagnet crane being used in the scrap yard and it was dc powered.  Variable, I can not remember.  I do remember it pulling my cigarette lighter right through the pocket of my pants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be weii,

Frank

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 06:51:10 PM »
Don't mess around trying to jury rig something - just buy an Imax B6.
It will charge 10 Nicd cells in series from your 12 volt car battery.

You can buy them all over the place, even Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FMYW4ZG/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07FMYW4ZG&pd_rd_w=X2nIo&pf_rd_p=f0dedbe2-13c8-4136-a746-4398ed93cf0f&pd_rd_wg=UIdBu&pf_rd_r=BFZ9C2H5MNHTXY1S6Z5R&pd_rd_r=25524dbb-160c-11e9-8409-a948a2dd2daa

These chargers are able to generate more output voltage than input voltage, that is why your friend was able to use his to charge your pack.

MAAC 8177

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 10:02:19 PM »
I bought a home power supply at Toledo a year or so ago.  it cost about $25 and has both 5V and 12V outputs.  The 5V is handy for servo & receiver testing.

Better to spend $25 on a home unit that risk having trouble with your $20,000-$40,000 ride. 
Who wants to go out in the cold and jump a toy off your ride in winter?
Paul Smith

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 10:21:29 PM »
Doesn't everyone have a (glider) winch battery sitting around  ;)

You can get lap top power supplies quite cheap that will work fine for small chargers like the B6. Just make sure they are not higher voltage than the charger is rated for.

https://www.amazon.com/Longdex-Universal-Charger-Netbook-Adjustable/dp/B07F12VGXL/ref=sr_1_17?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1547270271&sr=1-17&keywords=laptop+15+volt

For bigger chargers I use a server power supply, cheap on ebay and they put out lots of amps.
MAAC 8177

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 01:03:50 PM »
Commercial hobby chargers which run from 12VDC use a DC-DC converter to produce an internal voltage source high enough for multiple cells.  Not all chargers will charge 10 NiCd cells.  Check the specs before buying.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Ruslan Kurenkov

• Commander
  • UKR 995 / FAI 91828
    • controllineparts.com
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 06:47:32 AM »
Doesn't everyone have a (glider) winch battery sitting around  ;)

You can get lap top power supplies quite cheap that will work fine for small chargers like the B6. Just make sure they are not higher voltage than the charger is rated for.

https://www.amazon.com/Longdex-Universal-Charger-Netbook-Adjustable/dp/B07F12VGXL/ref=sr_1_17?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1547270271&sr=1-17&keywords=laptop+15+volt

For bigger chargers I use a server power supply, cheap on ebay and they put out lots of amps.

Hello Patt
For my charging, I additionally bought a power supply unit for laptops with adjustable output voltage from 12 to 24 volts. This charger can charge up to 15 nickel-cadmium batteries simultaneously. Now I charge them my Li-Polymer batteries for 6 cans. Charging time for one battery at 2800 mAh is approximately 55 minutes.
Regards,Ruslan

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 07:56:53 AM »
Yes the B6 and a 12 VDC power supply.  Ebay has em at a good price.  The 10 amp (120 W) will work and is $11.  I would go for the bigger one.  12 VDC @ 50 amp (500 W) at $38.  This will handle future projects.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-12V-3-5-10-15-20-25-30-50A-Switching-Power-Supply-Driver-for-LED-Strip/122480488771?hash=item1c8467f143:m:mbHRn4DA1ANr7tBMGw1d2iA:rk:17:pf:0
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here