News:

• April 24, 2024, 05:47:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sept 4th NYCLST annual stunt championship  (Read 2125 times)

Offline Joseph Daly

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Sept 4th NYCLST annual stunt championship
« on: August 10, 2021, 08:40:43 AM »
Reminder NYCLST 2021 Stunt Championship held at world famous Flushing Meadow Park!
Please see flyer for details
Thanks
Joe

Offline Joseph Daly

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Sept 4th NYCLST annual stunt championship
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 07:41:20 AM »
Flushing this Saturday! Weather looks great, hope to see you there.
Thanks
Joe

Offline AMV

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 08:26:58 AM »
Thanks Joe,

Jerry and I are planning to be there again.

-Andrey
Spice is the variety of life.

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 08:49:10 AM »
I'll be there Joe!

Bob Hunt

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 11:19:04 AM »
Ditto
Jim Vigani

Offline AMV

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 12:03:03 PM »
Round 1 (originals and traced) will be available soon.  I'll post the links here when they're ready, if that's ok.

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 03:24:38 PM »
Thanks for the hard work Andrey! Im fine with it!!
AMA 13001

Offline AMV

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 06:32:01 PM »
No trouble at all. Only forty flights total!

Everyone's original flights of the day are here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzf_6BV2VDoanWbNC9PDjgBIiSA0Ahyqu

Everyone's traced flights from Round 1 are here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzf_6BV2VDoYNi3AkrP3qEtGnqxOQKc-8

I'm working on traces of Round 2 and Finals.

As you view these, you'll notice that the time slider is segmented and labeled. Those are "chapters" in YouTube terms.

In a browser, they look like this when you hover over the timeline:

They're also clickable from the video description:

On a mobile device, you may see this:

I hope those make it easy to navigate the patterns without hunting around for specific figures that I know y'all wanna see.
So far I have all of Round 1 time-stamped in this manner.  I'm reviewing Round 2 and Finals as we speak and will be updating those along the way as well.

Jozef -- your Round 1 flight was slightly delayed that day, so give me some time to finish that trace in the next batch.  It's there, no worries.

Enjoy,  H^^
-Andrey

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2021, 12:39:09 AM »
Very cool, Andrey.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 05:29:55 AM »
Andrey:

Your work is outstanding.   Can't say that for my flying.  I love how it traced the bird flying through the circle.
Jim Vigani

Offline Joseph Daly

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 05:42:22 AM »
Andrey,
Really good stuff! I mean the video!
Thanks,
Joe

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2021, 05:42:42 AM »
I want to add my thanks to all the others here, Andrey, for your work in tracing our flights on Saturday, and for doing that last year as well.

It is a bit humbling to see your own mistakes so well defined. Last year's tracings did make me work on some things that I see have improved in my pattern, most significantly the Reverse Wingover paths. They are much straighter now. I'm also pleased with my round maneuvers for the most part, but still need a lot of work on the Overhead Eight. I can't wait to see the rest of the tracings, especially the one from the finals. It was windy and a bit turbulent for that round, and the wind had shifted 180 degrees from the rest of the rounds.

Flying at that hallowed field is always a spiritual thing for me; I spent so much of my youth there, practice flying with Bill Simons and Gene Schaffer. It may sound weird to all who are reading this, but I was talking to Gene throughout my flights there on Saturday. I guess I'll have to share this win with Mr. Schaffer... 

Thanks again - Bob Hunt

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2021, 07:51:56 AM »
Yes indeed it is a humbling experience. When you think you are doing so well and then you see thins and realize how much farther you must go and how much more work is there to be done.
At least it pinpoints exactly where you need to improve.
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2021, 09:14:47 AM »
outstanding improvements Andrey! this is great!!

tom
AMA 13001

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2021, 10:01:33 AM »
Yes indeed it is a humbling experience. When you think you are doing so well and then you see thins and realize how much farther you must go and how much more work is there to be done.
At least it pinpoints exactly where you need to improve.
If you traced that statement, it would be an understatement! 

I wonder if the overlays are F2b or AMA.  The cloverleaf seems to be F2B.  The one thing I have been hoping for was tracing where the maneuver overlay could be shifted to the pilots center point for evaluation.  I like to video my patterns from the side so that I can observe my movements relative to the plane and also check the trim (slight hinging, yaw, etc.  From what I just watched we are there.  This is a breakthrough that opens up a whole new option for judging a contest.  All that is required for this to be usable to judge is a way to process the trace quickly.

Picture this:  Camera's are set up in the normal judging position and the flight is recorded.  That video is transmitted to the judges table and traced by someone familiar with the start point of each maneuver so that the overlay can be shifted. The judges then individually score the flight on the traced video.

Or:  The judges have the ability to adjust the overlay as they watch the video, sort of like what we just watched on YouTube but with stop action to position the overlay when the plane hits the "Start Judging" point. 

In either case there are lots of questions to answer and a lot of very bright people out there to answer them.   I am not sure where the overlays are added now or if they are adjusted for line length but it now appears that "We have the technology".

If this could be accomplished with no more than a 15 minute delay in the event we might just have a breakthrough and I think it can.   The trick to keeping the event on track will be if the time to judge a pattern approximates the time between flights (takeoff to takeoff).

Now you want to "pie in the sky" - this could be done remote which gives "legs" to some very qualified people who just can't get out like they used to.

Man this stuff is so cool.

So either this is a brain storm or a brain fart - Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline jerry v

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2021, 11:31:43 AM »
Judges, camera and Andrey survived all 40+ flights.
I’m just a driver))

Jerry
Variety is the spice of life.

Offline jerry v

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2021, 11:37:20 AM »
Bob Hunt performing high alpha hovering in the first round. And Andrey at the camera.

And I’m just a driver Jerry.

Offline jerry v

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2021, 11:42:55 AM »
Jim Vigani is leading in the pylon race .

Jerry

Offline AMV

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2021, 05:38:32 PM »
I'd like to thank everyone I can think of: those who organized this event, provided all the food, the judges who showed up, the tabulators, the score runners, and all the pilots and helpers who participated, even the spectators and passers-by.

Also, thanks for letting me record all the flights for tracing. I see that it is becoming a useful tool for pilots and judges alike.

Cheers,  H^^
-Andrey

Offline AMV

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2021, 08:57:51 PM »
Traced videos of all Beginner and Intermediate flights from Round 2 are now added to the "NYCLST 2021 - traced" playlist (these start at video 19 in the list).
I'm going through them in the order they were flown.  Round 2 of Experts and Advanced will be next, followed by Finals.

Cheers, H^^
-Andrey

Offline AMV

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2021, 08:12:34 PM »
Traced Expert flights of Round 2 are posted.
They start at video#25 in the traced playlist (with Tom L. #2).

Enjoy, H^^
-Andrey

Offline AMV

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2021, 08:46:37 PM »
Everyone -- all traced flights of this contest are now complete and posted.

Jim and Will -- I was still downwind during your Round 2 flights, so those videos are interesting to watch ;)

It's been fun, it's been real, see y'all next time H^^
-Andrey

Offline Bob Hudak

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2021, 10:30:34 AM »
Andrey,
 Watched a bunch of your YouTube videos. Really neat watching the flyers with the outlined pattern path they're supposed to follow. I have a question, does your software pattern overlay compensate for the different flying line lengths the pilots are using?
 Thanks,Bob

Offline AMV

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2021, 11:38:56 AM »
...I have a question, does your software pattern overlay compensate for the different flying line lengths the pilots are using?...

Yes, Bob. In all those videos, in the bottom left corner you will notice something like "R=21.34" or similar. That is the hemisphere's radius in meters. It represents the distance from the pilot's chest center to the airplane's centerline. The number is unique for each pilot/plane combo.  In most cases the value comes from field conversations with the pilot about his/her line length, an estimate of his/her arm length, and the distance from inboard eyelets to airplane center.  When necessary, I adjust the value during post-processing based on the pilot's location and the airplane's path during the wingover and/or during high-latitude paths (such as entry/exit of outside squares, etc.).  That radius "R" establishes the size of the flight hemisphere.  The outlines of the various figures are then calculated on that specific hemisphere in 3D. Those 3D points are then converted to 2D image space in video and drawn in every frame on demand.

You will also notice that often there are three numbers in parentheses that follow the radius text.  This is the real-world 3D offset of the sphere's center relative to the center of the field markers, also in meters. This is a feature we added to allow us to match the location of the virtual hemisphere to the pilot's position as closely as possible at any time during a flight.  I was skeptical of the accuracy of this whole software thing at the beginning, even though Alberto (the author) assured me it's great based on his experience.  I just had to test the science for myself.  Last October I dragged my brother out to the field for an experiment.  We set up the usual circle center relative to the field markers. In addition, we measured and laid out four more known "centers": 2.0 meters to the right, to the left, to the front, and to the rear of the main center.  Then my poor brother flew an extra-long and extremely boring 8-minute special flight.  At each of the five marked centers, he flew a set of about 15 laps while stomping as exactly as he could on the ground mark.  During each set, he flew plain circles, but slowly spiraling up and down the hemisphere from level flight up to as high as practically possible to cover as much of the flight envelope as we could.  The results pleasantly surprised me.  As long as the pilot's XY location and the flight radius are known within 10cm (4 inches), the virtual overlay is an accurate representation of what's going on.  The left-right position of the pilot is easy to spot in video, but depthwise....well, cameras have abysmal depth perception.  So my best recommendation to all pilots using this to train is: stay as close as you can to the center pad's center during your flight.  It makes my task sooooo much easier, and you all get amazing results.

Cheers,  H^^
-Andrey

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2021, 12:55:40 PM »
AMV,
This is really great stuff. It shows that we all need to go back to our geometry books and read the definitions of what is round, square and triangles, also intersections. Would love to see some OTS flights (maybe from the 50th Anniversary contest).

Best,   DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here