News:

• April 23, 2024, 11:32:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scrap or save Old Ringmaster  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Scrap or save Old Ringmaster
« on: April 18, 2019, 10:21:36 PM »
Well, what do think. Built from a sterling kit about ‘93. weighs 30oz as pictured. Painted with still to this day sticky Coverite 21st spray paint. Originally flown with a most ill tempered OS Max 1 .29.

Save it? Scrap it? (I’m leaning toward scrap)

Vote now.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 01:54:32 AM by Clint Ormosen »
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Scrap or save Old Ringmaster
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 10:43:59 PM »
 If you use some stripper to get it all down to the bare wood, spend a couple weeks of evenings cleaning and sanding everything, redo all the controls, make up new leadouts and recover the wing, silkspan the rest of the plane, redo the elevator hinges, prime, sand, prime, sand, finish and repaint, get some new wheels and L/G, remount a different engine, fuel tank and plumbing...it'll still be a Ringmaster.  :)
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 11:18:19 PM »
An excellent point, Wayne.
The only smidgen of a reason I’m even considering it is because I’m thinking about trying Old Time stunt and there’s a Ringmaster only event at VSC.

All U/C pilots can essentially be broken down into two groups. There’s Ringmaster guys and Flite Streak guys. I’m definitely the latter.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 01:30:43 AM »
I am personally a saver. If it is salvageable, I would try my best to save it.

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 02:05:14 AM »
I am of the camp that says Save It!  There is nothing wrong with salvaging a good Ringmaster.    Recovered and repainted , fitted with a good motor and a uniflow tank, and it will fly as good as any Ringmaster.  If completed weight goes much above 30 oz (you said it was 30 as is) , get a good OS 20FP, put a APC 9-4 on it and a 2.5oz tank, new leadouts, and go enjoy it!!

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 02:18:19 AM »
"The only smidgen of a reason I’m even considering it is because I’m thinking about trying Old Time stunt and there’s a Ringmaster only event at VSC. "
Either a RSM or Brodak kit build very light, and allow even further opportunities to lighten.
Time wise a new kit puts you ahead of the game as well.
Have fun!

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 05:30:29 AM »
Hello
Still looks very saveable to me  :)
I try to save every plane until there is more glue then wood and everything is totally fuel soaked.
When they look really bad I get my sons or newbies to fly them as trainers, nothing goes to waste early here!

Coming from New Zealand the reasoning is kits are expensive as you need to double the cost to allow for shipping and balsa is really pricey too again due to freight costs but glue and paint are still cheap enough and if I cover in cheap nylon or silk they can refinished/rebuilt cheaply.

Another reason is I like a few basic beaters/rough models for mucking around when the weather is poor to save my more presentable models for those summer events/contests and you always need backups if you fly a lot.
Regards Gerald

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 06:35:52 AM »
"Old Ringmasters never die, they just fade away......" 

One of the official rules is that you never throw away a Ringmaster, even a Sterling one that was probably overweight before you opened the kit. - Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 06:59:04 AM »
Put it on eBay as a collectible antique.  Could get big $.  Take money and buy a ringmaster from Tom Morris.    y1   LL~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Mike Danford

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 07:05:31 AM »
Uh John, that won't work unless you mention RARE.  D'oh....

I vote to save.  Just because.  I rebuild most wrecks as the pieces already fit!  Not saying it makes sense, it's just what I do, and you asked.  I reckon this is one election where my one vote might, just might, matter.

I made a classic legal chipmunk out of a half poorly built super chipmunk.  Even lowered the wing to the correct position.  Would have been SO MUCH easier to just scratch build one, I just figured the old girl didn't want to die having never been finished or flown...  Models have feelings too. 

Cheers,

Mike

Offline louie klein

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 07:11:20 AM »
Rebuild her. I rebuilt mine 3 times already, still flies great with an old OS 35. Why not, It's only balsa.---Louie

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 08:57:17 AM »
If you have the means to start fresh on something you'd really like to have, instead of that old soldier, that's what I would do. Putting the effort into a project that you are not motivated to complete can kill off a lot of enthusiasm. Now, having said that, have I actually learned that lesson yet? Regrettably, no. Not even close to it. I keep rebuilding Other People's Planes (OPPs) seemingly without regard to condition or future potential. So don't count my vote. Tear it up. Void it out for having selected two choices and left the chads hanging.

Divot

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2019, 10:07:24 AM »
The original RM probably can't compete well against a "modernized" version...which at least one I'm aware of has a different airfoil. I don't know if they let this type in vsc but for competition Id build a new version. This is an easy scratch build and I wouldn't even consider a kit. Otherwise, I'd redo the original and enjoy the old timer for what it is.   
Whatever you do don't destroy it...make it a wall hanger or gift it to someone who appreciates it.
Bill P.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2019, 10:24:13 AM »
I’ve seen worse. The winningest Ringmaster of all time was a club mascot won and placed in many Old Time events. Started off lite, ended up porky. Many crashes. Many quick fast in a hurry glue togethers cover with something plastic. If controls are decent— needs a push rod guide at least, an easy salvage. Wash up. Dish detergent works. Peel off covering that will peel. Get the open bays clear. Let dry. Cover with whatever plastic coat. Shrink going from top side to bottom side avoiding wing twist. Bolt on a Fox 35 somebody got to run right. It’s a potential winner. Our handed down ringer did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 10:32:54 AM »
You are a good flyer Clint, you might not be happy with a POS

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2019, 10:56:52 AM »
That plane needs to be refinished enough so you can use it to teach newbies with it.   Remember to cut the elevator movement down .   I remember my first Ringmaster that I built years ago had elevator movement of 50 up and down.   Did win my first trophies with it.   Still have the trophies.  Ringmaster for ever. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2019, 10:59:56 AM »
This one should really "just fade away".  30 oz, without engine doesn't sound good.  You will end up with a heavy toad that will mush on corners.  Best plan would be to build a more "modern" and lighter version of Ringmaster. 
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2019, 11:07:59 AM »
.....set it on fire then run over it with a lawn mower.

Motorman 8)
That would be a hate crime.
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2019, 11:33:08 AM »
So far it’s dead even.
8 for rebuilding
8 for scraping.

Sheesh!
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2019, 03:30:45 PM »
Hi Clint, I just finished repairing an original S-1 Ringmster which I had originally built for my late son in 1976! It still flies great especially with an LA .25 up front and on 56.5" lines .015 gauge. I enjoy the memories that old clunker brings back as well as the "new" thrills it still affords! By all means do not sell nor scrap this piece as it will continue to give you many more happy hours of fun I know mine has done this for me!

Phil Spillman 
Phil Spillman

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2019, 05:18:33 PM »
Hi Clint - here's another vote for "leave it on the wall and build a new, light straight one." You are too good a flyer to ever be happy with an old probably-not-very-square-anymore antique (though the "run over it with a lawn mower" option is intriguing). Or build a Flite Streak and be happier still. If your goal is to fly competitively at VSC (and why wouldn't it be) you will want something built to your 2019 standards, not those from decades ago. And put an FP20 on it.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2019, 06:35:13 PM »
It's really your decision, but 30 ounces?

If you do run it over with a lawn mower, remove the leadouts and landing gear -- it's really a pain to get wire unwrapped from lawnmower blades.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2019, 07:43:29 PM »
Clint, save it, re cover it and give it to some up coming beginner. 8 or 80, it's a good plane to learn with.  H^^
Clint, I'm for rebuilding it. And giving it away!

Jerry

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2019, 07:46:55 PM »
It's really your decision, but 30 ounces?

If you do run it over with a lawn mower, remove the leadouts and landing gear -- it's really a pain to get wire unwrapped from lawnmower blades.

Or pulling it out of your car/truck tire! I once ran over (accidentally) a bicycle brake with my truck and immediately got a flat tire.  mw~

Jerry

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2019, 08:16:50 PM »
If it weren’t for the fact that it weighs 30oz with no motor or muffler, this would be a no brainer. But add a new finish and powertrain a t I’ll have myself a near 40oz Ring.  That’s definitely not going to work for a competitive model. Hate to toss it but I’ve already got enough airplanes in my que to not mess with this thing. The only reason it’s not already trashed is because it’s one of the few models I still have from 25 yrs ago.

Anyone near me want it??
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2019, 08:42:28 PM »
   Recheck your scale and weigh it again. Unless it's "Jason Pearson Spruce Goose" even a kit built Ring usually ain't that heavy. I don't think it would be that heavy if it was entirely made of 12 pound wood. I have a Craig's List rescue kit built version witha Fox.35 in it that only weighs 29 or 30 ounces. I also have a few models hanging around to get "saved" that aren't as nice as your Ringmaster!  If you are going to scrap it, at least give it a Viking funeral. It's a more fitting end for a once proud bird! My official vote is to do a quick and simple resurrection with iron on covering just so it can be flyable again. If you have a buddy that needs to borrow an airplane for old time, you can lend him this one, while you fly you secretly built 19 ounce world beater Ringmaster!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2019, 09:14:34 PM »
   Recheck your scale and weigh it again. Unless it's "Jason Pearson Spruce Goose" even a kit built Ring usually ain't that heavy. I don't think it would be that heavy if it was entirely made of 12 pound wood.

As a personal friend of Jason Pearson, I know EXACTLY what your talking about.

However, my scale is correct. 29.7oz. I don't know what it weighed when I first built it. This model was out of my possession for 10+ years. It's had a recover, nose rebuild, and landing gear added. It might make some poor guy a decent flying trainer.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2019, 11:59:01 PM »
 I was actually just being a smart a-- with my initial comment, it can be fun to revive an old bird. I've done a few of them, it's a different type of satisfaction from completing a "normal" build project. I meant nothing against Ringmasters either, as far as I'm concerned there's not a more iconic silhouette in the C/L sky. Your Ringmaster needs basically everything, it's not a list topper but I'd probably say what the heck and give it a shot, but get that Sabre finished first!

Here's a rescue pet from a few years ago, an old "Manx Cat"...

https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/manx-cat-up-for-adoption-(new-ready-for-clear-pics)/msg217133/#msg217133
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2019, 01:23:10 PM »
If you give a 40 ounce Ringmaster to a beginner, that will certainly cause him/her to abandon the hobby.  Not unlike all those people who tried a Cox plastic plane with reed valve motor, and then gave up in disgust.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2019, 05:35:41 PM »
Alright, the fate of this old Ringmaster is.....

Saved! But not for competition, just going to recover/repaint for any newbies that want to try it. I'll build a new one for the VSC event. The problem is I'm not (likely) going to get to it before the next VSC.

The only reason this Ringmaster isn't in the burn pile is because some of you guys get to me with your sentiment for old planes. Dammit.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2019, 05:42:34 PM »
VSC is 11 months away!  It doesn't take very long to build a Ringmaster from a kit.

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2019, 06:30:40 PM »
What you have is ideal for saber-dancing!!  Stick an old Fox 35 on it, moneycoat it, hook up a 3rd line to the tail and go have fun hanging on the prop.  If nothing else,  you are sure to prang it seriously enough to finally claim that it "went out in glory!"

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2019, 09:26:14 PM »
VSC is 11 months away!  It doesn't take very long to build a Ringmaster from a kit.

I know, but too many irons in the fire. A Classic model to finish and another to start, PA model getting started, and a couple of other small projects to finish.

All before starting a Ringmaster.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2019, 07:24:25 PM »
Strip it.  Put rattle can on the fuse, (depending on how the staining from stripping looks clear poly might look pretty rat rod cool) wrap the wings in plastic, put on a reliable la25 and let other people fly it after putting it througb the paces.

Phil

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2019, 06:27:50 PM »
A turd like that would be ideal to use ONLY for the Ringmaster Fun Fly thing in early October. Set it up with a 1 or 2 oz clunk tank so you can put in just enough fuel for 10-20 laps per flight, slow controls, fairly short lines, and leave it in the circle with a jug of suitable fuel, for everybody to fly. Make it clear that it's a turd and it is absolutely verboten to do as much as a wingover with it. You should be able to crack off at least 50 flights, if you just fly one plane and don't waste time hauling planes in & out of the circle.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2019, 10:25:55 AM »
^^^^this^^^^!!!!

"You should be able to crack off at least 50 flights, if you just fly one plane and don't waste time hauling planes in & out of the circle"

nothing fancy..... odds n ends mono kotex.....in fact the uglier the better!...flight(s) of the Phoenix

hell have fun with it--- then after max flight(s) record breaking for the fly a thon.... a fiery funeral is appropriate at dusk.......
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here