News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:37:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Russian lines  (Read 2033 times)

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Russian lines
« on: September 10, 2021, 05:13:06 PM »
Okay...I have been following the 19 v. 7 strand thread.
I believe Brett because that's the kind of stuff that he learned in school, PLUS he's a terrific flyer.
I bought a set of the 4 strand yellow looking lines... with .0145" diameter.
They seem superior...the weight of the 4 strand is lighter.
My neuropathy riddled body seems to feel that the 64' 4 strands fly my ragged Vector as well as my 61' 19 strand, making it a little easier for my old feet to keep up.

Has anyone else used these?

I'm happy with them.

Online Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
Re: Russian lines
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 06:08:21 AM »
If you mean lines from Ukraine, Ruslan I think sells them, I have a set. They work well. The ends must be kept taped until tied.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 10:15:50 AM »
I bought pre-made

I use acetone to clean my lines before/after every flight....the paper towel got all kind of colored

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 10:28:47 AM »
I bought pre-made

I use acetone to clean my lines before/after every flight....the paper towel got all kind of colored
So did I.  Same result.  I think I read that they are brass coated which probably explains why acetone discolors them.  Mine started turning a greenish brown in the "rub" area but weren't looking like they were damaged.  If I get another set I am going to use something less toxic, maybe something like windex. 

Maybe we can get an expert reading on this!

ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline John Gluth

• Ensign
  • Knight 1992
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 11:01:23 AM »
Always clean my lines before rolling-up, at end of flying session. 2 decades ago, Randy Heydon and I used paper towel saturated with Ronsonol Lighter Fluid.
Still use it. Any dirt or oil mist/residue , noticed on the paper towel. Any available brand would suffice. Doesn't introduce water as with Windex.
Good answers come only from asking the right questions.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 12:53:10 PM »
Always clean my lines before rolling-up, at end of flying session. 2 decades ago, Randy Heydon and I used paper towel saturated with Ronsonol Lighter Fluid.
Still use it. Any dirt or oil mist/residue , noticed on the paper towel. Any available brand would suffice. Doesn't introduce water as with Windex.
We fly over asphalt, wiping the lines with any solvent causes them to pick up tar.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Enter fishing line 1/1/2022!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline dc stunt

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 02:46:54 PM »
What ever that oil is that Ruslan sales, it’s a must.
I suspect that this set of line has very high content
of carbon. It rusts very easily especially in grass field.
L-201

Online Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 03:27:07 PM »
A tip that I learned from Russian combat flyers was to use kerosene to clean lines . Keeps then clean and rust free . Smells bad .

Brad

Offline John Gluth

• Ensign
  • Knight 1992
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 03:29:41 PM »
I doubt there is any solvent left in the lines at the moment they touch the asphalt. You're over-reacting.  L

Thank you, that is the aptitude for using a residue free, solvent like lighter fluid.
John
Good answers come only from asking the right questions.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 04:14:29 PM »
   While in use, I would think you want your lines free of any kind of liquid, whether it be any kind of oil or cleaner. Having them clean and DRY is what I think is important, otherwise they collect dust, dirt, pollen and all sorts of stuff. Clean them with what ever you like before a flight but wipe them dry afterwards. Some recruit some help to hold the handle up off the ground when walking to the circle and until ready to fly. When finished for the day treat then how you like before wind up, or even spray them with something when they are on the spool if you think they need it. I have a set of lines and handle for every flyable airplane in the garage and each is in some sort of bag and container when not in use and they stay relatively clean and dry. Just my 2 pennies worth.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 04:19:36 PM »
I doubt there is any solvent left in the lines at the moment they touch the asphalt. You're over-reacting.  L

I am sure he does get pickup, so does everyone else even on the current lines. The original Muncie L-pad just weeped tar continuously.  But it's just the surface tar, acetone is gone in a few seconds.

Brett

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 04:22:26 PM »
We fly over asphalt, wiping the lines with any solvent causes them to pick up tar.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Enter fishing line 1/1/2022!

Ken

Try cleaning the tar off of that!  While I think it might have its place, I suspect most people *will not like* Spectra for stunt competition and that 75% of the field will be using the .0145 or .0165 ukrainian lines by middle of next summer.

Brett

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 05:17:22 PM »
  Try cleaning the tar off of that!  While I think it might have its place, I suspect most people *will not like* Spectra for stunt competition and that 75% of the field will be using the .0145 or .0165 Ukrainian lines by middle of next summer.

Brett
I tend to agree having used both I prefer the Ukrainian, however, you don't wipe spectra with anything wet.  Worst part is when you let them lay down in a pipe puddle.  You have made your point!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2021, 05:28:28 PM »
Thank you, that is the aptitude for using a residue free, solvent like lighter fluid.
John

Lighter fluid was what Ruslan suggested, before he came up with his special stuff (Polydimethylsilohexane)
MAAC 8177

Offline Ruslan Kurenkov

• Commander
  • UKR 995 / FAI 91828
    • controllineparts.com
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2021, 02:36:54 AM »
Hello, friends.
Thanks to everyone using my 3, 4 and 5 wire brass carbon steel lines and 7 wire stainless steel lines. Thanks for the good feedback. I am very pleased that my manual labor in the production of lines gives you a good mood from flying.
I want to write to those who do not know that the lines that are available on Amazon or on the site are produced by me personally and only in Ukraine. The sales site and site administrator are located in the United States. The phone number you can call and ask all questions about the correct use and storage of brass lines: 1-646-568-5425 (Steven Yampolsku, USA).
Earlier, when I flew airplanes with Stalker 66 and Stalker 76 nitro engines, I used gasoline for lighters to clean the brass carbon steel lines. Gasoline does not smell like kerosene and does not contain moisture like alcohol. It very well removed the remains of castor oil that got on the line during the flight. Castor oil penetrated inside the lines (between the strands) and repelled moisture, did not allow moisture to penetrate between the strands. The lines could be operated for a very long time without corrosion and rust. I now have brass lines, accidentally there was one old kit from my plane with a nitro engine that I flew 7 years ago. These lines have darkened with time and repeated rubbing, a very thin coating of brass completely wiped off by cotton cloth and gasoline.These lines are very smooth and still shine. There are no traces of corrosion or rust on them. They are fully usable. I specifically tested them before using them with a load of 50lb per line. The lines were stored in a dry cardboard box and unpacked in polyethylene.
Now, for 3 years in a row, I and all my friends fly only on airplanes with an electric motor. There is no more castor oil to lubricate the lines and repel water from the inside and keep them from corrosion.
There is no more vibration from the nitro engine and the lines sometimes began to stick to each other, which led to a deterioration in control.
To solve this problem, we started testing silicones of different densities. It turned out ideal for flight only with a liquid in which 20 percent silicone. It is called PDMS-20. The lines slide well between themselves and do not stick together anymore in the absence of vibrations. 20% silicone perfectly penetrates the inside of the lines, between the strands, and pushes out dirt and moisture very well. The lines are perfectly cleaned, perfectly synchronized, the thin brass coating does not rub off, there is no corrosion and no rust. The effect of PDMS 20 exceeded all our expectations. As a line manufacturer, I recommend that all pilots use only liquid silicone oil for storage and operation of brass lines, which is now available in any auto shop, or PDMS 20.
Regards.
Ruslan Kurenkov, Kiev, Ukraine.

Offline katana

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2021, 02:54:29 AM »
however, you don't wipe spectra with anything wet.  Worst part is when you let them lay down in a pipe puddle.

Serious question - primarily they are 'fishing lines', so designed to be immersed in water (fresh & salt) and no doubt stored on the spool, wet after a session, so what problems do you foresee with getting them wet in a puddle?

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2021, 06:07:45 AM »
Serious question - primarily they are 'fishing lines', so designed to be immersed in water (fresh & salt) and no doubt stored on the spool, wet after a session, so what problems do you foresee with getting them wet in a puddle?
Oil and weight.  When they get wet they get heavy and the oil from the pipes doesn't wipe off like it does on steel.  Manageable problems, just a different set of them.  Sorry, I may have used a term that is not universal.  "Pipe Puddle"  Before pipes, exhaust was directed to the rear (mostly all over the underside of the plane :(.)  With pipes it is blown out of the bottom and forms puddles in the takeoff area.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Leonard Bourel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2021, 08:16:02 AM »
No Thanks To much Maintenance for Me Stainless steel or spectra works just fine Spectra requires no maintenance and a quick wipe with alcohol and a clean rag on the stainless has worked for me since 77 Toss them when they get kinked!!!

Offline Ruslan Kurenkov

• Commander
  • UKR 995 / FAI 91828
    • controllineparts.com
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2021, 10:01:25 AM »
What's the functional difference between 3 strand and 4 strand .014" brass steel lines, Why would you use one over the other? Also, do you make .012" brass steel?

Thanks,
Motorman 8)

Hello Motorman
There is almost no difference. Three-cores are better only for electric, they stick together less in the absence of vibration. The strength is the same 50 lb. The diameter is the same 0.0145 inches. 4-core is the remains in the warehouse. They will no longer be in production. Now I produce only 3-core brass lines from my own raw materials in Ukraine. Available in 0.0135 inch lines for racing. 0.35mm FAI. Only under the order. Write in a personal.
Regards.
Ruslan.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2021, 10:13:02 AM »
Rusian - are you familiar with the 3-1 Silicone sold in the US?  Is it suitable.  Now that our line diameters are more reasonable I am going back to your 3 strand lines.  Even your 4 strand stuck less than the 7 or 19 we use here.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2021, 07:58:42 PM »
3 in 1 got some bad reviews apparently not much silicone in it.

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B00J25JCM6/ref=cm_cr_unknown?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews&pageNumber=1#reviews-filter-bar
Thanks.  When the highest rating is 1 star you know you have a turd on your hands.  I have been using it to lube hinges.  Seems to work OK.  Messy though.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here