News:

• April 18, 2024, 02:28:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rules Proposal for Spectra(tm) Lines  (Read 5129 times)

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Rules Proposal for Spectra(tm) Lines
« on: August 14, 2007, 02:22:57 PM »
I  submitted a rules proposal to allow appropriate size Spectra(tm) lines in any event where stranded steel lines are allowed, along with specs for a couple of appropriate terminations, line sizes, and rated breaking strengths.  Steve Kaluf wrote back suggesting this be split up into at least six proposals, one for every event that uses stranded lines.  Any thoughts on this?  The current rules specify the materials and construction in the general section and only mention the diameter, length and pull test in the individual event rules.

Any suggestions?  Except for speed, I don't see a need for each event to get into specifying the exact materials and construction for the lines.  It makes trying to accomodate changes in the future a real mess.
phil Cartier

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Rules Proposal for Spectra(tm) Lines
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 02:47:44 PM »
Phil,
I'm inclined to agree with you.  Did Kaluf give any reason for his thinking?  Doesn't seem to make any sense.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 04:22:46 PM »
I beleive if you look in the rule book, each form of control line competition has a chart for required line sizes.  I also beleive speed will not allow nothing but solid wire.  You have to remember that you don't run the same size lines for a 40 in racing and stunt for one instance.  So I would have to agree with Steve as a separate proposal for each type of control line event(ie. carrier, combat, racing, scale and stunt).  Have fun, DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 04:35:56 PM »
Phil - Can you tell us whether your proposal includes termination methods?  My experiments with spiderwire and the current lines have only proven that the knots from Lefty Krehs saltwater flyfishing handbook slide apart with very little effort.   The knots, if made to hold with CA, have a breaking strength about half that of the line itself.  Has anybody had success with this part of the development?  Tom Hampshire

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 06:34:15 AM »
Tom

My experience supports your point.

For several very good reasons that are not germain to this duscussion, I opted to use Spiderwire for lines.  Several other people had used them successfully before I tried.

I was never a boy scout and I doubted my fishing line tying ability so I locked the knots with PVA (white carpenters') glue.  The lines caught grass on take-off.  The model turned in and flew over my head.  I braced myself for a strong pull on the lines and held the handle with both hands.

The strong pull never came!

The model simply flew off the end of the lines and destroyed itself.  A potentially very dangerous situation, as there were a large number of other people using the park that includes our field, did not eventuate but I lost a model—totally destroyed—it didn't even leave me with the plastic carry bag to take home the pieces and the engine was damaged as well.  I have rebuilt the engine but I'm not convinced that it is right.

I still think the material should be a good alternative but the terminations can be a problem.

More detailed research is required.

Regards, Geoff

Cheers, Geoff

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 07:00:34 AM »
Odd, but there is one "fisherman's knot" (that's all we ever called it!), similar to the wrapping system we use with copper wire and also close to a "hang man's knot",  that I have never been able to pull apart. ???  It gets tighter as more pressure is applied.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 10:32:47 AM »
Phil C:
Since the concept of using Spectra is new to many of us, and given unique line requirements across different events, maybe it would make sense to make the proposal for just one event (like CLPA) to establish the baselines and methods - then deploy into other events if/when plausible?

Might also save a bushel of paperwork in the near term...

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 09:14:36 AM »
Dennis & Phil - Until we figure out the terminations, I'd prefer a 'Testing' addition to the rules to allow the use of synthetic lines for test purposes only.  As it is, if you flight test a new line or termination with non-steel lines, the safety code has been violated, and the AMA insurance is voidable.  So far, my testing has been confined to static pull tests.  Tom Hampshire

Offline taildragger-j3

• Lieutenant
  • Me over 1/2 century ago with my Ringmaster Jr.
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 02:04:51 PM »
I've got a set I made up for my Ringmaster Jr. from 80# test line. I used what they call a 1/2 blood knot, and they have pull-tested very well. I haven't tried to use that line in a contest, just playing around. I think the concept is worth examining.
David Strawn
Aggieland, TX
AMA - 10212 (original!)

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 02:58:50 PM »
I agree with you.  If stranded lines are defined in the control line general section, so should the spectra.  Otherwies you will have a mess in a few years. 

Dave
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 03:31:22 PM »
Dennis & Phil - Until we figure out the terminations, I'd prefer a 'Testing' addition to the rules to allow the use of synthetic lines for test purposes only.  As it is, if you flight test a new line or termination with non-steel lines, the safety code has been violated, and the AMA insurance is voidable.  So far, my testing has been confined to static pull tests.  Tom Hampshire
I have been using "spectra lines" for many years in competition sport kiting.....and I can assure you that after seeing so many "newbee's" frettin' sweatin'-n' about using spectra for control line models....that in NO WAY APPROACH THE HEAVY LINE PULLS...THAT EVEN A MID SIZE DUEL LINE SPORT KITE EXPERIENCES ON EVERY TIME OUT TO THE BEACH ON WIND RANGE CONDITIONS.

For example:
They are sooooooooooooooooooo many brands and styles of "SPECTRA" and because of that..they are equally soooooooooooooooooooo many brands and styles the vary a great deal on quality....durability....and design.

QUALITY R&D IS PRIORITY ONE...WHEN CONSIDERING WHAT TYPES AND QUALITY ARE BEST FOR KITE FLYING AND CONTROL LINE.
GO TO http://cuttingedgekites.com/faq.htm#lines  See what the greatest World Championship sportkite team Cutting Edge has to say about choosing the right brand and quality?
Also go to the pony's mouth at: www.innotex.com
Don Shultz

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 08:28:50 PM »
Schultzie:
Are your kite lines inherently hard to set-up?  Hard to tie?  Do you do all your own or do you buy these pre-made?

Is it possible to visually determine whether the correct quality line & quality ties have been used?

I still have a couples sets of the yellow non-metallic lines Sullivan tried marking a long time ago.  Never tried to fly on them, just used them on a stooge!  However, I wonder if one good way is to get Spectra liines professionally made & sold ready to use?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 09:18:06 PM »
  My question is,  Is there a need to go to some other control medium?  Stainless and piano wire are both still readily available (to my knowledge) and have proven adequately strong.  What is the driving need to change?  how will the diameter(s) be checked?  Being fabric, micrometers may not be accurate. 
  how should we check them?  Color code for different strengths?  Looks like a system designed for fudging to me.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 06:37:59 AM »
Phil,
I want to thank you for taking the lead for alternative lines. I have thought for some time that with all the advances in "materials science" that control line flyers could do better than 1940's technology.

The key qualities that see talked about for control lines are :
1. strength - ( continuous  and jerking strength )
2. Non-stretching(.015 vs. .018 lines)

The advantages I see for spectra lines :
1. lighter weight
2. Does not kink ( major safety advantage)
3. Tougher against line cuts, perhaps.  ( combat use )

The questions that need to be answered in testing are:

1. Safest and best line terminations ?
2. How does spectra compare to metal in non-stretching ability?
3. How does it compare in continuous and jerking strength while using the
    best line terminations.
4. How does spectra compare to metal lines in the amount of drag produced?
    ( too much drag wastes power and could upset airplane trim)

If these safety and use questions could be answered in testing it could satisfy
the AMA safety requirements and open the door for control line suppliers
( Sig, Brodak, Sullivan) to go to kite line manufacturers to provide a line designed to meet all four requirements. No supplier will want to repeat the sales fiasco of the Sullivan kevlar lines. Any product to be viable must meet
all 4 of the above qualities to be a successful product.  I believe the impetus for the kevlar line was to reduce liability from people getting electrocuted  by flying into power lines and spectra should also have that same advantage.

It would seem that the manuever events of combat and stunt would receive the most benefit from using spectra lines but not necessarily scale , speed or racing but, then again, maybe some would.

I think there is a lot of potential for new line technology but there are some questions to be answered and requirements to be met and I for one hope it comes sooner rather than later.
                                                                   Pat Robinson

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 09:20:12 AM »
Pat - My informal testing of the older spiderwire, which I believe to be kevlar fiber, reveals about the same stretch per diameter as steel, with the synthetic diameter much smaller for the same breaking strength.  The stretch test is very simple, use a pull test scale and measure the elongation at full pull test tension with a ruler.  The rated breaking strength for the synthetics turns out to be much greater for the same diameter as steel.  Typically, .015  diameter synthetic rates about 75-80 pounds pull test for fishing use.The spectra is a different fiber, ______________   which is what Phil Cartier is testing.  Memory fails, spectra is only the trade name. 

I see two advantages beyond your post.  The first is that any synthetic is non conductive, and hence will not attract as much dirt through static electricity as steel lines.  NOTE  THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT WE ARE SAFE FROM LIGHTNING OR HIGH TENSION LINES.  I have seen posts that say so, hopefully nobody will fail to get the joke and get killed.  What we can gain is that the synthetics will stay cleaner, and hence create less interline friction.  Second, the synthetics should survive abrasion and line step ons much better than steel.  The main difference is the light weight.  Spiderwire causes a typical stunt or sport model to require complete retrimming of the line rake and tip weight.  All told, an excellent and productive discussion.  I'm of to the kite store to find out about dacron sleeves, as recommended in the above link to the Cutting Edge Kite site.  Tom H.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
Do the lines hang up when wet like solids do?  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 10:45:40 AM »
The current steel control lines in 1-strand, 7-strand, and 19-strand are readily available from Tower, Sig, Brodak, McMaster-Carr, and a few surviving LHS's.

Why mess with a good thing?

This Spider/Spectra stuff is probably another deal where you pay big bucks for a small advantage, and pretty soon everybody is "upgraded" at a higher price.
Paul Smith

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 11:54:42 AM »
Hi Guys,

Tom I agree that flying around lightning or high tension lines is a invitation that says "hit me now".   It is to be absolutely avoided.
I am not sure what kind of power lines Sullivan was referencing when it talked about their lines being safer than metal lines.

One of the biggest complaints against sullivans  kevlar lines is it was very draggy and messed up the planes trim.

By the way, Spectra has an advantage over kevlar in that it doesn't degrade when exposed to sunlight the way kevlar will do. This was proved in boat and marina applications.

Spectra in testing was found to be both stronger and tougher than kevlar. This is why it is starting to replace kevlar in bullet proof vests.

Tom, I agree with your  other points,  as well.

I was wondering what kind of testing proceedures the AMA and it's insurers require to certify a line to be insurable and to be allowed in an AMA event.

John, You have a very good question that really needs to be answered.

I have never been a fan of .018 lines on medium size airplanes so if I could use a .015 spectra line to safely replace an .018 metal line I would like it.
I,m not sure that current spectra lines are capable of doing that but it might be possible to do. Smaller, lighter and less draggy could only be a good thing.

I hope a modern design for flying lines will become a legal reality.

PS. For: 21835 : No one is suggesting replacing wire lines and wire lines are currently capable being competitive already, so the only thing being talked about is offering an alternative for those who want it. It is way premature to talk about comparative costs between metal lines and spectra line but I imagine the price will have to be competitive with metal in order to be marketable. 

Pat Robinson

Online Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 12:28:58 PM »
Hey Guys,
   As I was reading along my first thought was the effects of sunlight on the spectra lines, and Pat did address that. Then I thought what about a set of lines that has been sitting on the tarmac for 5 minutes or so when your getting ready for a flight. Obviously on a 95 degree day sun gleaming those lines could get pretty hot. Is there any research on these materials possibly softening and becoming weak or even stretching in this case.

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2007, 01:53:21 PM »
To Tom Luciano,

Spectra is produced by Honeywell and they specified the melting temperature for Spectra as 300 degrees farenheit /150 degrees centigrade.

I did not see listed any specifications for a temperature at which strength will fail.  Hopefully, our soldiers vests don't weaken in the 120 degree conditions in Iraq.

Tom, your question is a quite valid issue of safety and needs to be answered.

Hey Shultzie, can you offer any input about how temperature effects your kite lines. 

Well we don't have a lot of answers yet but at least we have better idea of what questions to ask. That is a good first step.
                                                                    Till next time,
                                                                    Pat Robinson

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2007, 04:35:13 PM »
I was remiss in not previously thanking Phil C for taking that first step.

As for WHY Spectra - while change is not always better, LACK of change has never advanced anything either!  Evaluating new materials in a thorough systematic way will help prove (or disprove) viability of a new approach to the same old problem.

In this case there looks like there is viable prior art (the stunt kites Schultzie mentions) that could eliminate a lot of the false starts.  Is Spectra truly lighter, with acceptable stretch, stable on a hot tarmac, less susceptible to damage if stepped on, cleaner, etc. - empirical data based on REAL experience trumps all the speculation!

So where to start?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2007, 04:47:03 PM »
 PS. For: 21835 : No one is suggesting replacing wire lines and wire lines are currently capable being competitive already, so the only thing being talked about is offering an alternative for those who want it. It is way premature to talk about comparative costs between metal lines and spectra line but I imagine the price will have to be competitive with metal in order to be marketable. 

Pat Robinson
[/quote]

In any form of competition, if a thing yields higher perfromance, everybody is FORCED to use it, reagrdless of cost.  Either that or take a beating.

This is the same argument as "All you need is a Ringmaster with a Fox 35", said with a smirk by somebody with a RoJett 77.

Paul Smith

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2007, 08:28:56 PM »
Hi Dennis,
I agree that empirical testing trumps speculation. 

You ask, "where to start"  I would say the following:

1.Do research with Shultzie and other Kite folks to find out what the ultimate
   Spectra kite line products would be, in order to narrow the search.

2. Once a product is selected experiment to find the best method for terminations. Tom Hampshire was already looking into dacron sleeves and I am sure Shultzie may have some ideas.

3. Do as controlled and repeatable strength tests as possible. This is why I
    was wondering about any test standard that AMA would require. Perhaps, a
    call to AMA is required to find out.

4. Do a side by side pull test with a metal line and Spectra line to check if a
    Spectra line is more stretchy than the metal line. Again, you want to be
    able to do it in a controlled and repeatable way . The forum is filled with
    engineers and other smart guys who could advise on the best way to do
    the testing.

5.  Lay a piece of Spectra out on hot asphalt by test pulling the line before
     and after the line was on the hot surface for a period of time to see if
     increases stretching occurs.  In the shop use a heat gun and one of those
     remote thermometers to measure the line's temperature as it is held tight.
     In this way you could be accurately sure of the temperature where the
     lines strength yields or is reduced.

Field and Flight testing:

1.  Hook the lines up to a plane and twist them and wet them to test if you
     still have free controls. This will answer John Holidays question.

2.  Fly the plane and to see if the lines seem to be draggy. The only way to
    check this is to check line bow. If you guys know a better way then speak
    out with your advice.  Tom Hampshire's experience seemed to indicate to
    opposite of draggy, but empirical testing by multiple flyers should yield a
    more definitive result.

An additional Item to test : I throw away metal lines for 2 reasons kinks and
curls that are created by twisting the lines during maneuvers.

3. So, go fly and do bunches of inside and outside loops during multiple flights or you can create a rig to twist lines one way and another while you hold tension in the lines.   
If Spectra lines don't curl and don't kink then you may able to use them for years instead of the much shorter life for metal lines.
This could reduce the comparative cost per use of Spectra lines against metal lines, significantly.

So Dennis, How's that for a Start ?     This is interesting.

Pat Robinson

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2007, 08:36:59 PM »
There are a number of lines that have far superior strength and stretch properties to spectra. We have been using them in sailing for a number of years now. I did a high speed offshore trimaran where we replaced all the stainless steel wires holding the mast up with a synthetic. Terminal end construction is the issue with all these materials. While I am an expert rigger and have done every kind of splice there is, I still deferred to an expert professional in doing the end fitting splices. Splices are the only really secure way of terminating many of these lines. There are a huge variety of fibers available, but it should be noted that none of them except some in experimental research on America's Cup boats (read $ is not even a consideration) that have stretch as low as Stainless steel cables. Weight trade offs are where advantages come, especially with some of the lengths involved and the effects of weight up high off the waterline. You will get considerably more stretch from spectra than from steel wire however. Certainly enough that it would be noticeable on a full size stunt ship. In half-a probably not an issue. But a big issue on a stunt ship.

Bob Branch

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2007, 09:39:18 AM »
Bob - Can it be that if the Spectra is the same thickness as steel, the strength will go up enough to give the synthetic an advantage in stretch?  Can you give a reference to a site having splicing information specific to Spectra?

Take a second and think about how many products/materials we use in model flying which are intended for other applications. So far, we have tapped guys with Spectra experience in both kites and sailboats.  If there are others with knowledge from these or other fields, please feel free to join in.     Tom Hampshire

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2007, 04:57:39 PM »
What you are talking about is a thread or fiber. These are usually spun into yarns. A yarn is still not spliced. Only a knot can be tied in it, same with a thread Yarns are then woven in various patterns to form lines of different types. Three yarns may be twisted into the normal three stran rope you normally think of when you think of ropes. But the properties of a 3 stran rope are very poor. Lots of stretch, not full use of strenth of the fibers. Woven ropes are made in multiple types of patterns and layers to get maximum strength and minimum stretch. Ropes can be spliced. They type of splice depends on the material and the way it is woven. Most ultra low stretch ropes are woven in multiple layers, one arrangement of weaving on the inside and another outer core around it on the outside. Kind of like placing a chinese finger trap around the center core. Literally every type of weave pattern requires a different type of splice. What works for one or for one material does not necessarily work for another. To get an idea for the huge number of variations you can go to www.sampsonrope.com . This is the Sampson Rope web site. They are one of a number of rope manufactureres, one of the largest. But the splices for many of their weaves do not work with another manufacturers weaves. On the site you can also get a feel by scrolling the product line tab of the large number of high tech, low stretch materials out there.

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2007, 08:49:04 PM »
Pat:
FIRST CLASS Product Verification plan - you must do this for a lvining???  H^^

I think the availablilty of "prior art" from the kite and sailers could really save us a lot of time.

Great thread (groan) I am really getting interested in giving this stuff a try-out!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2007, 12:28:04 AM »
Hi Dennis,
It seems that several of us have stumbled into becoming a sort of ad-hoc support group for Phil's proposals. 
I did some more online inquiry on kite lines and found some interesting data.

First, All the "premium" stunt kite lines are made from Spectra 2000 which is highest performing product Honeywell makes. Average lines use Spectra 1000.

Second, "stretchability" for the most part is not determined by the material itself , but by how it is braided into a line. A tighter braid stretches less.
Premium Lines are said to stretch less than average spectra lines.

the site commented on how small a very strong line can be braided.
An 80 pound test premium line is .015 which I believe exceeds the strength of .018 metal lines.

So the question is, if a line was braided to meet the low stretch requirements
needed for control line use we might have what we need.  Average Spectra 1000 lines can have up to 4 % stretch.  Large application lines were said to be made of spectra 1000, instead of the  "premium" type lines which  claims to have a lower stretch rate than those average lines.  This may explain the rope stretching that was described earlier or it may not explain it. We still don't know.

What I haven't seen quantified anywhere is exactly how much force is required to stretch a Premium Spectra line and does the forces created in control line flying reach that threshold. This is the pertinent specific empirical data we need to be sure of to make a clear evaluation of these lines.  Until then we are dealing with just speculation about this specific application.

You know, if we could come up with one line about .015" that has the strength of either .018" or .021" metal lines but only weighs 2 tenths of an ounce per set, we could create the circumstances for the rules simplicity that Phil seemed to be looking for,because you only need one line size  to handle  engines from 29-90 size. This would also certainly simplify marketing the product.

I probably owe Phil and apology because I ran off at the mouth with a plan of action when Phil is actually working his own plan of action and has done his own research that we don't know about. When I am "working an idea" thoughts  just roll out and demand to be written down but in this case I was online.

However,I do hope that Phil finds everyones input & questions useful tools in refining the understanding of Spectra lines and help shape arguments for their acceptance.

Dennis, I agree that things are getting very interesting.

Pat Robinson
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 07:20:25 AM by PatRobinson »

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2007, 07:39:26 AM »
I looked up the stretch figures for spectra line this morning. Braided spectra line stretches approximately 3% under load. Wire is on the order of 0.1 % or less. My expereince with considerably less stretchy braided lines than spectra is that they still stretch until about 20 to 30 cycles at high load. I am not sure I would want to fly with 3% stretch in my lines. I think finding a corner would be appreciably more difficult.  One of the ways this can be minimized is to go to stronger (ie larger diameter and heavier) line so that you are not dealing with a load that is high enough to result in appreciable stretch. But this should be evaluated scientifically, with measured comparison to wire we now fly with. Has anyone done any of this research?  Writing a rule without it may well result in a material that is still unusable.

Bob Branch

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2007, 10:09:38 AM »
Hi Bob,
I was just reading on SSW forum and they have been discussing these lines longer than we have here and Curt Nixon mentioned he had a a computer controlled piece of test equipment that could yield more accurate & definitive results on Spectra lines as compared to metal lines. I am not sure if he has gotten any results as yet.

I agree that 3% or 4% stretch is unacceptable for our application.
There are 2 key things I have read so far on the issue of stretching.

1. The way the line is braided is more important than the choice of which
    Spectra material used in determining how much the line stretchs.

2. On SSW there was a reference to people pre-stretching the line in a kite
    and a boating application. 
    They said the line has no memory and can't shrink back and it will not
    stretch anymore after pre-stretching.

So Bob, perhaps a solution to the stretching issue may be available in these areas.  I see a lot of possibility for these new lines but there are some questions that need to be answered with empirical testing before they will be an acceptable to many stunt flyers.

Many of the questions raised in this thread also came up on SSW. I am not sure what data Phil C. has accumulated and used in his rules application.
Phil has been working the problem longer than us so it would be interesting to know what he  has found out. Maybe he will weigh in and let us know.

Till next time,
                                                          Pat Robinson

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2007, 11:33:15 AM »
Hi Bob,
I was just reading on SSW forum and they have been discussing these lines longer than we have here and Curt Nixon mentioned he had a a computer controlled piece of test equipment that could yield more accurate & definitive results on Spectra lines as compared to metal lines. I am not sure if he has gotten any results as yet.

I agree that 3% or 4% stretch is unacceptable for our application.
There are 2 key things I have read so far on the issue of stretching.

1. The way the line is braided is more important than the choice of which
    Spectra material used in determining how much the line stretchs.

2. On SSW there was a reference to people pre-stretching the line in a kite
    and a boating application. 
    They said the line has no memory and can't shrink back and it will not
    stretch anymore after pre-stretching.

So Bob, perhaps a solution to the stretching issue may be available in these areas.  I see a lot of possibility for these new lines but there are some questions that need to be answered with empirical testing before they will be an acceptable to many stunt flyers.

Many of the questions raised in this thread also came up on SSW. I am not sure what data Phil C. has accumulated and used in his rules application.
Phil has been working the problem longer than us so it would be interesting to know what he  has found out. Maybe he will weigh in and let us know.

Till next time,
                                                          Pat Robinson

EVERY COMPETITION PRECISION PATTERN KITE FLYERS TAKES GREAT & EXTREME CARE IN PRE-STRETCHING ALL THEIR KITE LINES.
HOW A SPECTRA LINE IS BRADED...is important...but again!!

NOT ALL SPECTRA LINES ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL..IN DESIGN OR QUALITY!!!

SPECTRA LINES ARE AMAZINGLY STRONG....however even the best LAZER PRO LINE will break or seperate EASILY AND QUICKLY...from abrasion on team  kite lines mearly rubbing against each other as team kites go through their complicated flight routines and the heat generated from the rubbing of the lines has always been a concern.

AGAIN....Jim Barber of www.cuttingedgekites.com and his habitual world team wins in competition Team flying is perhaps the most knowledgeable human being on this planet when it comes to working with the new synthenic materials such as spectra- etc....
Check out his website..and other kite sites such as www.prismkites.com and talk with owner and one of the biggest names in kite design...who again knows kite lines and can give AMAZING DETAIL about line choices...
( When is come to the science of spectra etc...I am not worthy to even carry the kite bags of either Jim Barber (Cutting Edge) or Mark Reed of (Prism Kites) especially when it comes to R&D pertaining to kite lines.
They both are leaders in the industry.

PRESTRETCHING IS AN ART AND SCIENCE IN ITSELF....KNOWING EXACTLY HOW MUCH PRE-STRETCH IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.
(Same goes for pre-stretching metal lines also. But Spectra will "keep stretching if kept under tention---------------UNTIL IT FINALLY FAILS??? 

I AM SURE THE KA-JILLION ONE QUESTION OF THE DAY..ON PRE-STRETCH IS...

KNOWING WHEN TO SAY....WHEN AND WHOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHAHHHH??? And how do we know JUST HOW MUCH PRE-STRETCHING IS NEEDED----- before the line gives up and goes BANG!

I too, have always wondered if kite lines of spectra lying out on the surface heat of hot sand or on a hot tarmac......WHY WOULDN'T THESE LINE START TO LOSE THEIR STRENGHT and why wouldn't they begin to stretch more and more....
Hummmm? Still I have  quality spectra (LAZER PRO) lines that I have used for many years without problems of failure to to the streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch factor or heat factor???

Guess its time to buy up some quality #90lb. or 120 LAZER-PRO lines for the old Chipmunk? LL~
PRE-STRETCH UNTO OTHERS!!! IS BIBLICAL WHEN IT COMES TO SPECTRA LINES FOR ANY APLICATION!!!
Don Shultz

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2007, 09:40:27 PM »
Hi Shultzie,
I would say that you have moved this conversation along nicely with information provided by your kite background.

I have been looking on the net for info on kite lines and you are so right about all the different choices available. The most informative website I have found that provides info on Spectra lines is :    www.windstarkites.com

Shultzie, if this possibility for "new" control lines is to work we will probably need someone with your experience to cut through the clutter of available kite lines and help create the standards for what is acceptable for control line use.
Metal lines are more consistent in their attributes from manfacturer to manufacturer and the AMA and it's insurers are probably going to require that same level of consistency in Spectra lines.  That's just a guess on my part but it seems reasonable.

By the way this site says that" Laser Pro gold"  manufacturer is discontinuing producing lines for the kite industry. They said the other premeire brand "Blue Line es/55" was becoming more expensive and harder to get.  These  all use Spectra 2000 material in their maufacture. They had found a substitute called WSK Premium Spectra line that  also uses Spectra 2000 in its manufacture. 

This site also details how to do a "NO KNOT LINE SPLICE" for a line termination.  Shultzie, is this a good and strong type of line termination?

I haven't really wrapped my head around all this line termination stuff yet so your input on how to do terminations might be useful for everyone.

So far, everyone is just looking at off the shelf kite line but the question is:
Could a line be manufactured to specifically do a better job of meeting the demands of control line flying.  Even if Sig,Brodak and Sullivan combined
to get a maunfacturer to produce such a line I am not sure of the economic
feasibility of doing so, but it is certainly food for thought.

Shultzie , thanks for educating all us kite line neophytes.

Pat Robinson

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2007, 03:07:12 PM »
Here’s the results of some knot and line testing on various brands of spiderwire/stren/cabelas brands of braided super fishline.  It is most commonly called Spectra braid, but is seemingly all manufactured by Honeywell under the name Dyneema.  By way of preface, I have some familiarity with the use of cordage for fishing and small boats, but am far from expert in either.  It turns out that any knot must be tied so as to generate equal tension among all fibers throughout.  This means that when you tie, both the tag end (the leftover end) and the standing part (the line to be used) must be under tension when the knot is pulled down tight.  The line should also be lubricated with saliva to get it to tighten evenly.  This is not an exact process, so most really proficient fisherman tie at least a few knots for practice before the one for use is tied.  For light tackle or tournament use, 10 or 20 practice knots are common.

That said, the first tests were just tensile strength of the line itself.  The test rig was made up by wrapping the line around a dowel, 5 or 6 turns, and holding it in place with CA.  One dowel end was clamped in a vise, between small plywood pads, and the other dowel end held between pads with a C clamp.  A spring scale I use for pull tests was hooked around the free dowel and pulled by hand, and the readings recorded.  For reference, it would have been better to have a slider on the scale so the reading at failure could be ‘saved’.  As it was, I simply pulled slowly and watched the scale closely until failure occurred.

The lines were Cabelas Ripcord, 25lb test, yellow.  This was used for all the knot tests which follow.  I also pulled 20lb Stren braid and 30lb Spiderwire.  All passed without difficulty, breaking at about 2 lbs over rated strength.  All of these measured about .007 inch diameter.  This is an estimate because the braid does collapse some under the pressure of the caliper or micrometer jaws.  I elected to average the readings between when the first contact with the braid could be felt, (about .011 in.) and when under full compression (about .005 in.).

On to the knots themselves, the best website I found is the kite knots page under http://members.aol.com/goodheavens/knots.html.  For curiosity’s sake, see the following websites: Animatedknotsbygrog, realknots and thefishingsite.  (If some computer guy can show me how to post a link, please feel free).  Here’s the results:

Knot                            Result            Pull                     CA                   Remarks

Improved clinch          slid                3 lb                     no
Double larks head       slid         4, 12, 15 lb                no                     3 tests
“                                  broke           16 lb                     yes
Albright                      slid                5 lb                     no                     10 turn
“                                  broke           16 lb                     yes                    10 turn
“                                  broke           12 lb                     yes                    7 turn
Double larks head
With Clinch added      broke           21 lb                     yes                    Hard to tie
Palomar                       broke           21 lb                     no                     

Note that the Albright was tied to  a loop of 27 lb Dacron flyline backing, all other were tied to a wire loop simulating a line clip.  I expected the cushioning effect of the softer Dacron loop would make the Albright the best choice.  Not so, the Palomar is the easiest to use, and gets up to 21/25 or about 81 % of the rated line strength.  Not bad for any knot.

I also opted not to test the knot sleeves the kite guys use.  They put the spectra through a Dacron sleeve to add cushioning and friction to the knot.  I don’t think it’s a good idea because the sleeve will prevent the user/pit boss from seeing a broken or bulged strand in the spectra line.  For the same reason, my preference is to avoid the use of CA to prevent knot slippage.  If you’d like to try some sleeves, they can be bought ($2.50) from the site at flyingdragonkites under sleeving kit.

As expected with anything new, you ask the wrong question at first.  From all of the pulling and tugging, it feels like line stretch will be the problem, not line strength.  I could feel it stretch as each test was made.  For comparison purposes, a conventional set of 7 strand steel lines, .015 inch diameter, 60 feet long, stretches about 3.5 inches under a pull test tension of 30 lbs.  Surprising, eh?  Steel lines return to their original length when the tension is released.  The test rig is simplicity itself.  Fix the airplane ends of the lines to a handy anchor point.  Lay a ruler on the ground, pull up the lines to get about zero tension, set the zero end of the ruler directly under the edge of the handle.  Sight across the edge of the handle to the ruler when you pull the lines to tension.

Made up a set of 61’1” foot lines  from 100 lb test Cabelas spectra to stretch test against the steel benchmark.  The 61’1” length was the initial length, measured before any tension had been applied to the lines.  All measurements of overall length were measured against a 2 lb pull to draw the slack out.  Results are:

Tension                   Stretch under tension                   Overall length
10 lbs                      3 in                                               
20 lbs                      7 in
30 lbs                      10.75 in                                       

After a prestretch of 25 lbs, held for 1 minute:
30 lbs                      7 in                                               61’5”

After a prestretch of 40 lb applied for 1 minute:
30#                          7.5”                                              61’5.75”

So the difficulty isn’t the knot strength at all.  The lines have to be much stronger than the required pull test (3 times as much for this test set) in order to control the stretch.  After the prestretch,  this 100 lb spectra appeared to stretch just twice as much as steel.  A couple of anecdotal stories:  Phil Cartier let me fly a 75MPH combat ship on Spectra this spring.  It turned about as well as one would turn on steel lines, I guess.  The big difference in feel is that the lighter line weight is very noticeable.  There is less roll in turns, and it felt like the tip weight was much less than that needed for steel.  Second, Larry Scarinzi had a lot of flight time on .010 solid music wire lines in the 1950’s.  He feels they were more responsive but had to give up on them when K&B greenheads got to towing his combat ships over 100 MPH.  At those speeds, the thin lines stretched in turns, and the turns widened uncontrollably.  So the diameters went up to .015 7 strand.  Safety?  Not a care in the world!  My, my, times do change.  Anyhow, that’s what there is so far.  The next round is to learn more about prestretch and its effect on the line.  I saw a mention of it on the kite sites, but nothing of much help.  Anybody out there with experience on stretch and hysteresis?  Help if you can, I’m way out of my element.  Tom H.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2007, 05:51:56 PM »
Tom

I mentioned in an earlier post that I thought stretch would be a problem and it has reared its uggly head. Prestretch was described in an earlier post as kind of a black art in kite flying. I have used synthetic materials (Sampson Amsteel braid) to replace the stainless steel cable rigging on a 23 ft high speed trimaran sailboat project I did a few years back. We chose the terminal rigging in another high tech format that eliminated knots and splices alltogether. Actually, it was a modern material version of the deadeyes used in old square rigged sailing ships. But it let us take up  the stretch as it occurred. The thought of some was that the prestretch would occur and that would be the end of it and we could then cut and splice the ends. We were using material with about 500% safety margin. Over the two year period that I had the boat rigged with it the stretch was substantial and never did stop completly. The terminal ends were left in the adjustable system at the deck level.  Oh, final velocity was 33 mph. Not bad for a 23 ft sailboat.  But I think what I learned, and the material had considerably less stretch than spectra line does, there is some memory there and it does stretch with load. When drawn up you still get stretch at higher loads. Top speed attained was the last time I sailed the boat. So it had 2 years of sailing in various conditions up to 54 mph winds. After that run, I had about 2 inches of new stretch in the rigging on each side of the boat.

While we may be able to have lighter lines and possibly, but I'm not sure your data shows it, thinner lines, stretch I think is going to be a very difficult issue to deal with. I may be wrong, I know nothing about now kite competition is done, but my guess is there are not specified size limitations on the maneuvers they fly that are as constraining and small as ours. The thin solids experience on the combat plane I think shows it can be an issue.

Thanks for the nice testing. Its how we learn what reality is.

Bob Branch

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here