News:

• May 12, 2024, 10:52:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Samuel's Backyard Trainer Updated  (Read 4322 times)

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Samuel's Backyard Trainer Updated
« on: March 06, 2016, 04:54:28 PM »
We put up a dozen flights today on this simple trainer.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 05:22:56 PM by mike londke »
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Samuel's Backyard Trainer
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 06:41:53 PM »
Looking good.  I really like the whole idea.  He will be looping before much longer. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline ringmaster

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 06:55:49 PM »
Hello, I sure love your little Samuels Backyard Trainer that looks a very cool with the small motor and tank and it fly very nice too and take lot of crashes too and keeps on flying that is great. Thanks ringmaster

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 07:08:26 PM »
They way it's hunting around looks like it could use some nose weight.

MM

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 07:41:51 PM »
They way it's hunting around looks like it could use some nose weight.

MM
It's hunting because a 7 year old is flying it. I flew it several times myself inside and outside loops and inverted flight. and it flies just fine. Sam is still learning and I think he is doing quite good.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 08:10:29 PM »
Well Mike I think that will work. just about what we did for Samantha. Will not be long and he will be giving you tips.

Steve

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 10:51:32 PM »
He's also having to adjust for a flying area that is not level, has houses at different elevations in the near distance, and probably has uneven footing. Age 7?? He is doing great, and Dad better watch out pretty soon. Wonderful to see a truly young person getting into the hobby. He may inspire some of his friends to join in the fun.

So this is what you call a "back yard" in KY? You could put most of my subdivision into your yard. Dang!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 11:30:29 PM »
Looks like you could get a passel of cub scouts flying combat with those -- if you could find a passel of cub scouts interested in flying, that is.

You could get a lot more speed out of that engine, if he wants to go faster.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline ringmaster

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 06:55:30 AM »
Hello, I think that is great you getting your children in flying control line airplanes and they will soon flying the bigger ones and faster ones. My father got us in flying with models with Cox .049 engines and Baby Ringmaster and Sterling Zero and Carl Goldberg Little Toot planes I still love those little planes and still fly them today for fun. I sure love your model tool looks great. Thanks ringmaster.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 07:50:01 AM »
It's hunting because a 7 year old is flying it. I flew it several times myself inside and outside loops and inverted flight. and it flies just fine. Sam is still learning and I think he is doing quite good.

You 'da man. I set up my trainers nose heavy and slow controls with limited travel. Full up is a fast climb but not enough for a wing over, full down is almost nothing.

MM

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 10:36:31 AM »
He looks like he was doing better on the later flights.   You might think of a set of sun glasses for him.  Now him flying that well on un even ground is impressive.  I would have been on my kister before a half dozen laps.   Even at my circle, I'm glad I know how to do loops and 8's.     
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 10:41:58 AM »
You might think of a set of sun glasses for him.

Or a baseball cap.  I'm not flexible enough to do the overheads while wearing one, but if I was it'd sure come in handy.  I usually go into a contest wearing one; it gets turned around before each flight (or after the wingover, if I've forgotten).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 10:59:36 AM »
A baseball cap would mess up all those curls.   LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 11:12:52 AM »
A baseball cap would mess up all those curls.   LL~ LL~

When I wore my hair that long it was in a pony tail.  Eventually I decided that I was spending enough time around fanbelts, propellers and lathes that I'd be better off with a buzz-cut.  I still get tempted every November to grow it out, but I know that come the first hot day of spring I'll be in the barber shop, so I resist.
AMA 64232

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 06:47:57 PM »
Practical, Functional, Simple, and - dare I say it? - not pricey.  Nice work!

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Steve Thornton

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 12:10:13 AM »
Well done Mike! Looks like Sam and his plane are good flyers,
Steve
"Most of us won't make it out of this world alive."
Steve Thornton

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 01:21:16 AM »
Simple and inexpensive is the first step to get kids interested in this hobby. Hope you can get more neighborhood kids inspired to join Samuel flying and maybe form a club. That would be great. Great job!

George
Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 05:34:21 AM »
Looks like you could get a passel of cub scouts flying combat with those -- if you could find a passel of cub scouts interested in flying, that is.

Tim, I have to ask...What is a passel?

I am familiar with a Pack, which is made up of Dens. Competition between Dens might be the way to go.

George 

Edit: OK, looked it up and it can mean group or pack. Is this an official name for a group of Cub scouts?
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2016, 07:31:50 AM »
Yeah! Backyard cl flying. Old School. Hope some mates join him. Fly on fellers......
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2016, 09:02:51 AM »
Mike
Would you post the measurements for your/Samuel's plane?  My boys work and visit their girlfriends more than they fly with me and now I'm trying to train up my young nephew as my new flying buddy.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2016, 09:06:49 AM »
Wingspan is 34", it is 8" at the root and 4 1/2" at the tips. It has a straight leading edge. The foamboard that is glued to the top and bottom of the Coroplast wing is 2 1/4" wide, this gives you the KF airfoil. There is no spar in this plane. If you cut the wing with the splines of the coroplast running fore and aft along with the foamboard running spanwise it is plenty stiff enough to do the job. The stabilator is 7" from the trailing edge. The stabilator measures 10" by 1 1'2".  I made the boom longer than I knew it needed to be and with the engine, wheels, and bellcrank installed I would slide it in to check the balance. I cut off short sections of the boom a little at a time until it balanced just a hair nose down. I guessed the CG at about %25 from the LE. Then I glued the boom in place. It worked out well, no additional weight was needed up front or in back. Using the Norvel Tank and mount really gets the engine out there so if you were to use a Cox engine I'm sure the boom would have to shortened considerably to get it to balance correctly.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2016, 10:20:25 AM »
Edit: OK, looked it up and it can mean group or pack. Is this an official name for a group of Cub scouts?

I hope not.  It just means a "bunch" to me.  I could have said "seething mob", which is what any sizable collection of kids that age ends up being.
AMA 64232

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2016, 01:58:40 PM »
What line length are you using?

Phil

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2016, 02:28:43 PM »
What line length are you using?

Phil
  They are 42' Spectra lines.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Samuel's Backyard Trainer Updated
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2016, 05:36:01 PM »
It was a banner day for Samuel this evening. We were putting some flights of the 1/2A and he did his first solo loops. He said he needed to learn more "stunts" so I said ok how about trying a loop. He managed 3 loops in 1 flight and was as happy as I have ever seen him. I was completely hands off, sitting on the ground in the circle with him. We'll keep truckin with the 1/2A until we can get out the .35 sized stuff. He did stuff it on the 4th loop but I'm pretty stoked that he is making progress. I spent a few days going through my beaters and we have 6 profile .35 sized planes ready for him to tear up this summer. It's gonna be a great season.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2016, 06:31:06 PM »
 Once he realizes that handle is his communication to the plane, watch out.   He will out do all of us. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2016, 06:45:30 PM »
Move up to a 15 sized until he's bigger?
AMA 64232

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2016, 11:00:09 PM »
Move up to a 15 sized until he's bigger?
Tim he was flying a Twister and a Skyray last summer with .35's on them. Only level flight and shallow wing-overs but he can handle them. He actually flew his Twister on the L-Pad last summer at the Nats in Jr.  The 1/2A is for us to fly at the house when we can't get to the regular flying site. I do love the drawing though. I'll show it to Sam.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 11:21:44 PM by mike londke »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2016, 09:48:20 AM »
Tim he was flying a Twister and a Skyray last summer with .35's on them. Only level flight and shallow wing-overs but he can handle them. He actually flew his Twister on the L-Pad last summer at the Nats in Jr.  The 1/2A is for us to fly at the house when we can't get to the regular flying site. I do love the drawing though. I'll show it to Sam.

I remember you mentioning that now.  The kid's certainly a natural.

That picture comes to mind whenever there's a small pilot or big plane involved, I just finally got around to drawing it.
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here