News:

• April 18, 2024, 01:49:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RISING COSTS PDK LLC  (Read 1404 times)

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
RISING COSTS PDK LLC
« on: February 23, 2019, 08:52:29 AM »
As I believe you are aware, the cost of Balsa is rising, the availability of 4” wide sheets is diminishing. The availability of 4” wide sheets in volume is a problem or becoming cost prohibiting. Many designs are going to have to be converted from 4” wide sheets to 3” wide sheets. This will incur higher cutting costs. I have started converting cutting files from 4” wide sheets to 3” wide sheets. I will be raising kit prices to offset the increase in costs. Until I issue a new kit list prices will remain the same. I will not increase prices for any orders placed before the end of March.

Thanks,  Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: RISING COSTS PDK LLC
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 12:36:13 PM »
Hi Pat,

I have had discussions with Bud Nosen and Eric and have tried to convey this message as well.  Eric and I have discussed some alternative methods of model construction and hopefully I will being some test builds using these materials in the near future.  Bud Nosen told me that Contest balsa especially is getting very hard to procure. 

Interestingly, I tried to convey this message to modelers who frequent some of the facebook forums and I was literally attacked as being a fear monger and was accused of fabricating all of this in order to just sell more kits.

Eric will probably add to the discussion if he sees this thread and he had told me the same thing you did about having to adjust the way he is cutting kit because of not being able to obtain the 4" boards. 

I do not produce anywhere near the number of kits that you or Eric do but I will also be raising kit prices as necessary on the select kits I have in my line. 

We have not had a price increase in 9 years and I knew it eventually had to catch up to us.

Mike

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 01:25:12 PM »
Mike,
The prices of my kits are higher than I would like them to be. I try not to lose money selling kits. If we had some real production quantities of these kits they could sell for less. Unfortunately, I have a couple thousand dollars of kits in the shop that have not sold. I design and offer these kits because I enjoy it and I want others to have fun building and flying these airplanes.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 03:04:35 PM »
I understand completely Pat.  A good example is this new Veco Squaw kit I am getting ready to ship out.  When I first announced the kit there was a good bit of excitement up front but I usually count on selling about half of what people say they are going to buy and that is a pretty good gauge to use.  I had 20 people say they wanted a kit but it boiled down to 12 who actually paid and ordered one.  Sometimes it gets really close to just breaking even and that is usually where I am at the end of the day.

I quit stocking kits a long time ago as I learned my lesson early on about that.  I have them cut to order as people order them using what we used to call in business, JIT Manufacturing or Just In Time.  Not only that, I physically do not have room to stock them. My wife is about to kill me already because of models hanging everywhere. 

I do it for the same reason you do, I just love the hobby and love to see people having fun.

Mik

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 06:30:39 PM »

Unfortunately, I have a couple thousand dollars of kits in the shop that have not sold.

Pat

How about a list of those Pat? It might tempt a few here to pull the trigger?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 09:08:00 PM »
It will take a bit to figure out what kits are in that shop. There are a few that are packaged and a bunch that are not packed. There are laser cut parts sets all over the wood shop, and a few sets of parts in the metal shop. I end up with stuff in stock when I sell one and order two or three. One that is not packed that is sitting my office is a Quickie Rat II. I have to pack TJ's Quickie Rat tomorrow, I will try to identify some of the kits here. I won't be able to ship the Quickie Rat kit until Tuesday, Monday is another day of blood tests and transfusions for my son.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 10:22:44 AM »
Another one sitting in my office is a 14 SS Precision Aerobatic airplane.  The airplane has a 63 1/4" span with 772 square inches.
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 03:46:49 PM »
Pat that is a beautifully shaped model. 

Mike

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 08:46:07 AM »
Hi Guys, I believe Brodaks have raised the price on all of their kits.

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 01:49:36 PM »
A list of kits in house is posted in my area in the Vendors Corner.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 04:41:59 AM »
Pat I like those lines on this!!!! Anyone finished one?
Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 10:28:50 PM »
Not that I know of. This was inspired by the 97 Chevelle.
Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here