News:

• April 18, 2024, 05:39:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ringmaster rehab / restoration  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Ringmaster rehab / restoration
« on: August 09, 2022, 12:47:09 PM »
This "beauty" fell into my lap at no cost, and am looking for advice from the brethren here.

Not shown are the McCoy 35 and Perfect (standard vent) stunt tank that it came with. What I've done so far is a coat of polyurethane on the wood and SLC for the wing. The weight, as shown here, is 18 ounces. Additional plans include landing gear. Will use the Perfect tank.

The question. Should I use the McCoy 35 it came with? Am concerned about noise at the neighborhood site where I fly, and I understand that the McCoy 35 doesn't cotton to an add-on muffler. I have on hand a Veco 19 BB with a good muffler and am tempted to go with it. Enough power? I'm hoping simple stunt maneuvers. What think ye?

Dave Mo...
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Ringmaster rehab / restoration
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 12:53:57 PM »
Dave you may have answered your own question.  The McCoy is the best ‘flying’ choice and ‘mo fun’ option.  However they won’t take the back pressure and heat of mufflers for long.  The .19bb will do the job on maybe 57x.012 lines.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 02:27:06 PM »
I flew a Ringmaster with a Veco 19bb until it wore out then switched to LA25, both great combos with 10% nitro, APC 9-4 sport prop on 60' radius.

Don't like old tanks, constant source of fuel system clogging.

Motorman 8)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 06:11:14 PM »
Dave,
There is a guy on facebook control line group that has very nice tongue mufflers for the McCoy 35, it bolts to the side of the exhaust stack, very nice. On the other hand, the Veco 19BB is more power than either the McCoy or Fox 35 and will pull the Ringmaster very strong. Just set the Veco in a solid rich 2cycle and use a 9 - 9.5x4 APC prop (you want around 13 - 14,000 rpm. Don't use the standard vent tank go with a uniflow. If you get the weight in around 34 oz. ish it will do the OTS pattern with no problem. Also, use a long tail horn to slow the controls, you only need about 18 ish degrees up/down. Balance 1 1/2" behind the leading edge. Good luck, keep us posted.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 12:54:06 PM »
Ah, lots of good advice coming through the usual (and generous) suspects here!

Yeah, Dave, I did feel like I was answering own question, but some good always comes from you gents here. Thanks!

So, I did find a tongue muffler for the McCoy on da Bay. It must work for some guys, though there'll be risks involved. Can't rule that one out given that I like the idea of staying with the McCoy that the model came with, Dennis. It sounds like the plane will have quite a bit more scoot with the Veco. This is surprising for me given the difference in motor displacements. I've copied your setup advice into a file for use with this model or for a future project. Much obliged.

Finally, M-Man. A further question - what oil mix and percentage do you use for the Veco?  You've convinced me to avoid that old tank. No sense introducing a potential problem to the system. Muchas gracias!

I'll keep you all informed as the project progresses.

Dave Mo...

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2022, 01:14:34 PM »
The Veco is an iron and steel engine but for a stunt run where you keep it 4 stroking allot, you can pretty much run any fuel that has some castor oil in it. GMA Powermaster with 11 castor 11 snyth is good. I was also running Fox 35's at the time so, I just used the same fuel in the Veco which was 20% castor 10 nitro.

Hope you get it going for the flyathon.

Motorman 8) 

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2022, 11:26:06 AM »
Just what the doctor ordered, M-man. A thousand thanks.

Dave Mo...

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 03:47:51 PM »
I fly my Ringmaster w/ a McCoy 35. Brodak makes a strap-on type tongue muffler for the engine.

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2022, 09:01:44 AM »
Good to know, Colin. I decided to stay with the McCoy .35 that came with this model and will vouch for the truth of Dave Trible's claim that the McCoy is "mo fun." So, I'm ready for the Fly-a-Thon.

Dave Mo...

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2022, 12:35:30 PM »
   I won a best crash trophy at VSC years ago with a McCoy .35 powered Ringmaster !! Classic pancake at the bottom of the vertical 8, the nose broke off where it usually does, and went over to  the next circle and tagged Kenn Smith in the ankle!! I might try another McCoy powered version some day.
  Type at  you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2022, 01:13:33 PM »
I've heard those Zingali props aren't too good. Truth? If so, a better prop might be an APC or Master Airscrew 9 1/2 x 6.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2022, 08:02:26 PM »
I've heard those Zingali props aren't too good. Truth? If so, a better prop might be an APC or Master Airscrew 9 1/2 x 6.

I had not noticed that Dave's Ringer had a Zingali. I don't think there is a thicker or heavier prop that was ever on the market! Today's Master Airscrew 10-5s and 10-6s seem to work pretty good to me. A change of prop would definitely move the CG back a bit!

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2022, 09:21:46 PM »
Ah ha! So that’s why I had to add tail weight. The Zingali has the neat look and all, but I will switch it out according to the good recommendations here.

Thanks.

Dave Mo…

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2022, 08:28:22 AM »
Dave,
One of the simple cheap things you can do to adjust the CG is use a plastic electric style spinner with a regular nut in place of that large acorn shown in the photo. Also, could use a wood prop (a Brodak 10x6 would work without a muffler, cut to 9 1/2" diameter with a muffler to reduce load and heat).

Best,   DennisT

Offline Roger_Pion

• New Pilot
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2022, 04:06:31 PM »
Good to know, Colin. I decided to stay with the McCoy .35 that came with this model and will vouch for the truth of Dave Trible's claim that the McCoy is "mo fun." So, I'm ready for the Fly-a-Thon.

Dave Mo...

Boy that looks really nice.  Good job, I'll bet it's fun.

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2022, 07:03:50 PM »
Dennis: Good prop advice is appreciated! Will go with a 10 x 6 wooden that I’ve got on hand. The acorn spinner is actually hollow so am thinking of retaining it.

Roger: Thanks for the compliments. Yes, lots of fun on the 52-feet lines.

Best to you gents!

Dave Mo…

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here