News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:04:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ringmaster 576  (Read 2354 times)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Ringmaster 576
« on: July 13, 2018, 02:20:58 PM »
My Ringmaster 576 Build is coming along.  Just need to find the time to finish it.

Mike

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Ringmaster 576
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 02:21:48 PM »
Lookin good!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 05:03:28 PM »
Lookin good!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Thank you Jamie

Mike

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 05:06:21 PM »
That's one big Ringmaster!

Hi Walt,

Wing is 576 Sq in, hence the name Ringmaster 576.  It is a Pat Johnson Kit I have had for a while.  The fuselage from trailing edge of wing back is 1/16 balsa sheeted over foam.  I have not weighed it yet but it is VERY light.

Mike

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 01:14:28 AM »
Mike,

My plans for the Ringmaster 576 shows flaps inset into the trailing edge of the wing.  Does yours not have this feature?

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 03:49:26 AM »
Hi Randy,

Pat might have drawn up two versions.  My plans do not show operating flaps at all.  That doesnt bother me so much on a profile.  It is a nice kit and builds nice.

Mike

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 01:38:26 PM »
Hi Randy,

Pat might have drawn up two versions.  My plans do not show operating flaps at all.  That doesnt bother me so much on a profile.  It is a nice kit and builds nice.

Mike

Yeah, probably so!  I was just curious!

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 04:17:55 PM »
My Ringmaster 576 dates back to 2013.  Has flaps and was built as an electric.  Plans had both flap and un-flap version shown.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 05:09:32 AM »
Pat called the flapless version the " 576 Sport". Very similar to his Shark 560 and 610 and the Wildcat. 
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 05:48:26 AM »
Every body does realize that this is not a Ringmaster.  It only looks like a Ringmaster.  Airfoil etc has been optimized for modern stunt flight.  Built light and straight it will fly with the best of them.   #^   y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 01:08:23 PM »
Good point John. 

Mike

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 01:46:39 PM »
It seems that any of these "sorta-Ringmasters" are allowed as legitimate entries in the Ringmaster flying thingy in early October. Does anybody have an opinion on this? Should it be limited to Sterling kits and clones?

Also, since they have the same designer as the Ringmasters, what about the Clown and Super Clown? Seems to me that if you allow the clones, the Clowns should also be allowed. Kinda humorous the way that sentence worked out, but it wasn't intended. No, really! Howard should write a Haiku or somethin'.  S?P Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 05:00:31 PM »
It seems that any of these "sorta-Ringmasters" are allowed as legitimate entries in the Ringmaster flying thingy in early October. Does anybody have an opinion on this? Should it be limited to Sterling kits and clones?

Also, since they have the same designer as the Ringmasters, what about the Clown and Super Clown? Seems to me that if you allow the clones, the Clowns should also be allowed. Kinda humorous the way that sentence worked out, but it wasn't intended. No, really! Howard should write a Haiku or somethin'.  S?P Steve

The rules have been set from the start and should not change. As far as I know the only rule change was the definition of an official flight. Because it has very few rules it is all fun.  The point is to honer the Ringmaster legacy.   We even have 1/4 A Ringmaster in our club that has added to the flight count.   No trophies, no stress, just a chance for a fun club fly-in!!!!   #^ 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 11:01:09 PM by John Rist »
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 05:03:31 PM »
 Any Ringmaster whether True or  Variant is Fly-A-Thon Legal.
That's a quote from Bill Gruby on the BOTR site.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 06:21:48 PM »
Any Ringmaster whether True or  Variant is Fly-A-Thon Legal.
That's a quote from Bill Gruby on the BOTR site.

Well....yeah....but....if a big fake Ring mit flaps wins does the pilot have to take the million dollar prize from PayPal rather than getting the big oversize one that is given to "legitimate" winners at the end of the TV coverage?  Hmmmm?

oh, what?  you mean there is no million dollar check?  What does the winner get then?  Wha' d'ya mean there's no winner!

(Written by some miscreant using Ted's computer)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2018, 06:30:50 PM »
This is all good news for me. Except Ted's post, of course.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2018, 11:12:15 PM »
Well....yeah....but....if a big fake Ring mit flaps wins does the pilot have to take the million dollar prize from PayPal rather than getting the big oversize one that is given to "legitimate" winners at the end of the TV coverage?  Hmmmm?

oh, what?  you mean there is no million dollar check?  What does the winner get then?  Wha' d'ya mean there's no winner!

(Written by some miscreant using Ted's computer)

Ted you do know it's NOT a contest!  No prizes.  It's a world wide effort to see how many Ringmaster flights can be made in one weekend.

Attached is the rules from the 2011 event.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2018, 07:54:05 AM »
I love the Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon  simply because it is "just for fun".  We have 20 some odd members in our club here in New Orleans of which only maybe 6 are hard core regular weekend fliers.  Of those 6, there are only two who ever compete in contests.  However, when October rolls around, we have pretty much a full participation to fly the Ring Masters and those who have not flown all year, will come out for a couple of day, set up their tent canopies, cook some burgers and have a ball enjoying fellowship, BS sessions and flying their Ringmasters or those that resemble a Ringmaster. 

I am not sure if John Cralley came up with the original Idea, I think he was, but whoever did......THANK YOU.  This has exploded into a great fun event and lots of us look forward to October to get out and have some fun. 

John Rist is correct, It was never meant to be a rigid event with a lot of rules.  Just go out and have a ball.

Mike

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here