News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:57:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Riley Wooten Designs  (Read 23155 times)

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Riley Wooten Designs
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2009, 09:49:27 PM »
Hey Dale
Finally got the news letter from my dad. THANKS!

I should be able to find a drawing or pattern for that reflexes quicker airfoil, have a stack of his designs thats 3 inches or so thick with some being variations of the Quicker.

The red wing wing kit was for the red wing senior airplane. the wing kit was available separately.
That was one good airfoil on that one.
I have the Shark plans dad drew for the wing in the stack.

Before Cliff moved to Alaska he bought our families Ford hot rod station wagon for the move.
We brought the car up to them.
I was very young but remember Cliffs attic was full of model airplanes.
Tommy was Dean of students at Tech last I knew.
Amy(red head?) married an Air force test pilot.(Stealth!!)
There was another daughter???
I think when we would stay over nights there was 2 girls?

Years after Cliff and Opel moved back from Alaska and I was working in Ruston I would stop by to visit in the afternoons.
None of the airplanes were there and Cliff seemed to not remember them or where the few he did remember went to.

Memories are good Dale!! thanks!

David
David Roland

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2009, 01:42:20 AM »
I think when we would stay over nights there was 2 girls?

Careful, David.  I said something like that and got censored.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2009, 06:00:52 AM »
I still  have bones left of my last VooDoo and Quicker as well as my treasure of 3 Johnson CS and one lonely Fox36X BB. Wish I still had my Sneeker - I'm  so tempted to order a Sneeker kit from Walter- I would want to finish in silk and  dope - except I doubt I can find checkerboard pattern like I always used.
I'd then have to build a VooDoo and either resurrect the existing Quicker or scratch build another.
Would have to decide between using old style metal tank on crankcase pressure or use a balloon / bladder seup.  Then I have the issue of finding a place to fly where a wide open unmuffled CS would be tolerated. Last issue would be if I could still keep up with the airplane. One thing is certain- I wouldn't dare try to use a high nitro fuel like Missle Mist or Fox Blast like the old days- don't want to risk damaging my engines.
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2009, 09:09:54 AM »
Just checked in my basement and found original box from my 'Quicker Combat'- DELUXE CUSTOM KIT -COMPLETE FORMED  PARTS and ALL HARDWARE- for .19 to .35 Engines by California Model Co.  Long Beach, Calif. Also discovered original Voo Doo kit box , price marked $2.49. Another discovery is complete kit for Sterling Super Swoop that never got built.
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2011, 01:26:38 PM »
Great thread on Combat history......so.......Bump for those who might have missed it the first time.    #^

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2011, 03:41:52 PM »
I just read all the way throught this thread and it was like Larry was here again. I do miss him
EddyR
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2011, 05:50:40 PM »
Pirate

larry borden

« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2011, 07:46:57 PM »
With all the talk about the Sneeker, I have ordered one from Walt and plan on building it like the ones I used to fly. ST G21 35, pacifier for fuel delivery and no muffler. I live out in the boonies and I can do this. It's definitely gonna be interesting.
I met Paul Smith while I was stationed at Reese AFB and we did fly one match on the base.
In 1970 I was USAF Control Line Combat Champion flying a Wooten Demon and still have the trophy to prove it and made the USAF model airplane team in 1971, where we competed at the Nats at Glenview NAS.

Offline W.D. Roland

• Admiral
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2011, 12:06:35 PM »
Good Larry!
You and the Sneeker may have to supply the excitement at 6th RM Roundup.
I may be Zombied this time around.

Wonder how many post these Quicker plans will need?
my little scanner and size changing something or nuther in the silly electronic gadget should(not) help.

David Roland

Offline W.D. Roland

• Admiral
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2011, 12:10:03 PM »
The rest of the story
David Roland

Offline W.D. Roland

• Admiral
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2011, 12:27:26 PM »

To Dave- I don't recall that plane of your Dad's. Tommy, Cliff's son, won Jr. Combat at the Nats about 1958 flying a "Sky Dart"(Combat Fox). It was basically a Sterling Yak9 wing with a single boom, sidewinder engine silver with a red wing, and we also called it "Redwing".
.dg

Talking with Dad the other day and the Sky Dart came up.
His memories:
Sky Dart was Designed by Cliff using the Red Wing Senior wing kit and Ring Master moments.
One inch thick solid balsa fuselage/boom made it on the heavy side but very crash able! :o

Here is plans for the Darwin Redwing senior wing kit that was also used on the much lighter Shark

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 12:58:09 PM by W.D. Roland »
David Roland

Offline W.D. Roland

• Admiral
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2011, 01:00:55 PM »
Careful, David.  I said something like that and got censored.

Ouch!
Did that hurt? Hope not!!

I think the censoring was done at a very young age LL~
David Roland

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2011, 09:48:35 PM »
I have a Voo Doo that is solid but needs covering and I have a Johnson Combat Special in good shape......... hmmm...
I have never flown a ".35" size flying wing combat! LOL!!  Slow combat, 1/2a wings, etc., but never a ".35" size wing.  Maybe I should just throw that sucker together with the JohnsonCS and see how she goes!  Prop suggestions? ;D

Closest plane I have flown to one is a Japanese Zero (from MAN plans?) that is almost all wing but does have a characature Zero fuselage and stab/elevator.  Just long enough to mount a Fox 36X (tank in wing) and the stab is a 1/2" wide piece of spruce with the elevator attached.  Pretty darn quick! LOL!!

My combat was entirely limited to me and my flying buddy while I was in college and neither of us had a clue as to how to do it. LL~  It WAS fun!

What'cha think?  Voo Doo with Johnson CS, 9-8 prop, Missle Mist?  :##  n~     

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2011, 08:08:33 AM »
I used 9-7 props for combat with K&B 100 fuel.   Full crankcase pressure on metal tank.  Was either Fox CS or Johnson CS.  I had both.  Last time I flew one for a speed timing, I got 115+ mph without a streamer.  Couple of years ago took a Big Iron to club meeting as it always seemed to be windy for flying.  Once Melvin got all the goop out of the Johnson CS it was clocked at 95+ wihout a streamer.  We had not tried for ultimate needle setting.   Sure glad I could do loops and eights.  Amazing that I got dizzy at that speed.  Still using 10% fuel and 9-7 prop. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

larry borden

« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2011, 10:58:47 AM »
I bought a Sneeker from Walter and plan on starting on it soon. I'm gonna use a G21 on 10% and 10X6 prop on first flights. Not sure I could keep up with on an 8X8 Tornado and 25%.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here