News:

• April 25, 2024, 07:59:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Revitalization of old Mono-Coat on plane  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Phil Spillman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Revitalization of old Mono-Coat on plane
« on: September 02, 2018, 07:03:56 PM »
I've had the pleasure of flying a pro-to type of the Brodak FW 190 as originally built by the late Willis Swindell. While enjoying an afternoon of flying fun in the fall of 1997 Willis gifted me with this plane. I've flown it many many time over the interveining 21 years and I am sure Willis flew it for at least 4 years before that so the Mono-Coat is now close to 25 years old and is getting quite fragile! Is there any treatment known to the viewers of this forum which may be applied to restore the life to old film? Sure would appreciate you input! Incidentally the hinges on this model are Mono-Coat hinges and some of the remaining ones are the originals!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Revitalization of old Mono-Coat on plane
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 08:06:29 AM »
It gets brittle with old age and I don't believe anything can be done about it? Nothing that I know of?

Time to remove and replace it most likely.

Be lucky you have only one wing.

I'm having the same issue with what was once my flag ship for graphics, R/C Pica Waco biplane at 55" in span.

I'll have my hands full removing all the material, when done, I'll recover the model with silk because I no longer have the patience, or skill actually, to apply iron on material.

There's a few modelers in the Forum who do a tremendous job applying iron material.

Good luck!

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 09:42:29 AM »
Hi Guys and Thanks for your thoughts! I spoke to a close friend about this situation and his imaginative suggestion is/was to cover over the existing film with SLC as sold by Phil Cartier. Most likely this would alleviate my propensity to poke holes in my own covering at the minimal expense of added weight! For now I simply try to be a bit more gentile with the old girl!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 10:23:18 AM »
Hi Guys and Thanks for your thoughts! I spoke to a close friend about this situation and his imaginative suggestion is/was to cover over the existing film with SLC as sold by Phil Cartier. Most likely this would alleviate my propensity to poke holes in my own covering at the minimal expense of added weight! For now I simply try to be a bit more gentile with the old girl!

More gentile?  You mean, like, serve it more pork products and make it work on a Saturday?

Seriously, I don't think there is any good solution to this problem aside from covering over it with something. The characteristic smell like a new roll is the plasticiser and adhesive/color outgassing, eventually, it has to be gone, and then UV eventually catches up with the plastic itself. Almost any plastic that is not filled with black pigment or covered with some opaque surface (like metalizing) will do about the same.

I have a few airplanes where the Monokote is effectively the consistency of chalk, just held on like a powder, and can easily be removed by low-tack masking tape with very clean edges. The last time the Skyray crashed, the crash was very mild, but the covering just shattered, and while I got it off OK, when I went to throw it away, I tried to wad it up, but it just turned into thousands of shards. It gets this way in as little at 15 years in California, where the UV is much stronger than the east.

BTW, it also gets this way on the roll, at least the few outer turns, from flourescent light in the hobby shop. You can feel the difference, the outer turns might be "crinkly" but the inner turns are still soft.

As an aside, dope doesn't do much better, but usually it is put over some other surface that is not as prone to the problem (like silkspan) and tends to block the UV from structural materials underneath.

Brett

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 12:33:22 PM »
To Brett's comparison of MonoKote covering life to silkspan and dope, there is at least an option with dope of spraying it with rejuvenator to put the volatiles back into it. Never tried it myself on full-scale or models....yet. Has anyone else?

Dave
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 11:49:33 PM by Dave Hull »

Offline Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Tulsa Glue Dobbers C/L and R/C Clubs
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 01:47:29 PM »
Brett.....My 99' airplane has been out in the Oklahoma summer sun quite a bit and the upper Monokote surfaces have started to shatter....I can blow on it and it flies off....but the bottom surfaces are like new.
The paint is PPG Concept and of course....it is unaffected.
If I want to fly it some more I'll have to re-cover it.

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 08:25:25 AM »
Well, the problem is obvious: You guys fly your airplanes too much, thus they are exposed to UV too often, and for long stretches. Simple.

If you'll keep your airplanes hanging in a darkened room, maybe flying them once or twice a decade like I do, then your Monocote will last a long time... just like mine.

You're welcome.  H^^

n~

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 09:27:53 AM »
Why not just carefully remove all of the MonoKote and recover it? Cheers,PhillySkip

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 09:01:35 PM »
Hi Again and Many Thanks for all of your input! One I'll try to be more gentile!, Two Building/resurrecting season in near and those cold and blowy months do serve to warrant more time in the shop! I have recently made two new friends who have rejuvenated my enthusiasm for building and shop time so I am feeding off their get up and go and have rediscovered my own get ur done attitude! Not bad for an 80 year old who still gets to feel like a 25 year old when it comes to flying!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here