News:

• May 14, 2024, 10:54:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Review: KMCo. (Kimura) Kits From Japan  (Read 1140 times)

Online Jake Moon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Review: KMCo. (Kimura) Kits From Japan
« on: January 13, 2024, 04:26:41 AM »
There is not a lot of information on the western internet about a series of small control line kits made by Kimura (木村) in Japan. You'll more commonly find them mentioned in English as "KMCo" as that's what is written in English letters on the box. Kimura kits are designed to be rugged, easy to build, and require as few additional parts to complete as possible. Kimura kits are still in production, though not all at the same time. Restocking can take a while, though there is usually a lot available. Kimura planes are still popular in Japan and you'll often find one of their planes photos of contests in Japan.

I recently purchased 2 kits in Japan from Powers International. They're from the two most popular lines: semi-scale stunt and .15-sized stunt designs.

The semi-scale line is mostly warbirds, including the Spitfire, P-40, P-51, Hellcat, P-39, Yak-9, Bf-109, Ki-61, Ki-43, A6M Zero, J7W1 Shinden (it's wild), and the Fuji Aero Subaru. They are all (except the Shinden) flapped designs with straight wings and full fuselages. Some are more convincing scale-wise than others. Most of the kits are available in 3 sizes: for .09, .15, and .29-.35 engines.

The .15-sized stunt designs are sized down versions of some great stunt planes. From the US: the Lew McFarland Shark and the Nobler, and from Japan: The Blue Max (full fuse and profile versions), Typhoon, Skylark, and the Hara Hurricane.

.09-Size Fuji Aero Subaru

I purchased a .09-sized Aero Subaru and a .15-sized Shark.

Since the Subaru is similar to a larger lineup of Kimura kits, we'll start with it. You can see the straight wing and external controls that is ubiquitous across their smaller kits. This one comes in .09 and .15 sizes. Since the .15 was sold out, I bought the .09 version and would put a Fuji .099 on it if I build it.

Here's the box opened. Keep in mind that this kit just took a ride in the luggage compartment of a flight from Tokyo to Singapore, so some of the parts have come loose. You'll notice that the box has a lot of hardware and laser cut parts. It also comes with a very sturdy Japanese tissue convering that Kimura makes. It is 52 g/sqm. It also includes decals.

It comes with full-sized plans that includes instructions in English and Japanese. The plans suggest using an Enya 09.

The spruce(?) spar is pre-slotted for the ribs.

Here are the laser cut parts. The cutting is top-notch. But now I know why the box is so darn heavy. It has plywood fuselage sides, wingtips, rudder and formers. The balsa for the stab and elevator are very heavy as well, though extremely stiff and straight. Given that these kits were designed so that they could survive storage in small apartments and being transported by bus or train, it makes sense. When and If I ever build this thing, I will replace the fuselage sides, wingtips, and rudder with balsa versions.

Closer look at the laser cutting. The fuselage sides really are beautiful, just possibly the wrong kind of wood.

Here are the ribs. You'll notice no cutouts. The bellcrank and leadouts are on top of the wing, not in it. I do not know if this carries over to the larger versions of these kits (specifically the .29 to .35 sized ones). You may see that the label on the rib set is just "13 cm)." Most Kimura kits are made from the same sets of ribs in various sizes. You can also buy the rib sets from Kimura.

The first hardware bag includes a hardwood motor mount, bellcrank mount, cloth hinges, and wheels.

The next hardware bag contians all screws and bolts, as well as control horns, a bellcrank, the elevator horn, and even tacks for construction! Kimura makes all their own bellcranks and horns.

Here are the pre-bent pushrod, landing gear, canopy, fuel tubing, and a prop.

And finally, the fuel tank which they also produce themselves.

Overall, a really impressive little kit. At the current exchange rate, Kimura's semi-scale plane kits cost about:
$45-48 for .09 size
$53-60 for .15 size
$75 for .29-.35 size

.15-Size Shark

This is very cool, a .15 size Lew McFarland Shark. The construction is basically the same as the Aero Subaru, so I'll only note differences in the photos below. Some things are noticeable in the photo right away: the controls are still external, and the nose doesn't taper due to the plywood fuselage sides. Nevertheless, even with a straight wing, it looks a lot like a Shark.

The Sharks' plans are simpler and only in Japanese. I'm guessing they assumed that people buying a classic stunt design will know a lot of the basics explained in the Aero Subaru plan.

Box contents. Includes the same tissue covering.

The laser-cut balsa parts. The wing is straight, though unlike in the semi-scale series, each plane has a specific set of ribs. The wood is good. The control surfaces use very hard balsa that's heavy but straight.

A whole lotta plywood. The formers look outstanding though.

Various sheets and blocks. They are all very light. The spar is spruce.

The hardware includes a high-pitch APC prop.

I love the little Shark and hope to build it someday soon with an OS 20 FP that I brought with me to Singapore. I would replace the fuselage sides with balsa for weight and to get the correct nose taper.

The .15-sized stunt kits are priced at:
Shark: $61
Taurus: $75
Nobler: $84
Typhoon: $89
Profile Blue Max: $90
Blue Max: $90
Hurricane: $90

The Nobler, Typhoon, Hurricane, and Blue Maxes are a little larger (listed as .20 size) and have leadouts mounter through the wing and tapered wings.

I hope this is helpful for anyone who comes across one of these kits and wonders what's inside them!

« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 07:37:15 AM by Jake Moon »

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
Re: Review: KMCo. (Kimura) Kits From Japan
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2024, 06:13:03 AM »
I've not heard of this company before, they have all kinds of stuff, I'm tempted to order one of their wood props.
They have a Twister listed with a pic of stacks of kits,
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2024, 07:02:30 AM »
Jake,
Very interesting post. The kits look great. Can you post a website for them?

Best,    DennisT

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2024, 07:07:11 AM »

Online Jake Moon

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2024, 07:38:14 AM »
I've not heard of this company before, they have all kinds of stuff, I'm tempted to order one of their wood props.
They have a Twister listed with a pic of stacks of kits,

I've been impressed with the hardware in their kits. I'd probably trust that their props are nice too. They sponsor a contest in Japan called the "Twister Cup" that is just for Twister kits purchased through them. If you buy a Twister from them (about $85 USD), it includes a little sticker from Aero Powers that serves as your "competition license" for the contest.

Offline Rusty

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2024, 07:38:42 AM »
What is the cost to get a 35 size kit to America? 

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2024, 07:41:38 AM »
I just did a conversion on the Twister, in CAD it's $281.00, oh well.  :( :(

Online Jake Moon

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2024, 07:49:26 AM »
Links to places to buy them (I'm not affiliated, this is just what I did). The company is Aero Powers, and their listings are here: https://www.powers-international.com/aero/aero.htm

However, the appear to fill their orders from HOBBY BANK, which is a larger hobby company in Japan. This site has the stock listings and is where you order from.

These are their kits (including CRAFTLINE kits): https://hobby-bank.com/products/list?category_id=49
These are their accessories: https://hobby-bank.com/products/list?category_id=36

As far as shipping is concerned, I haven't a clue what it costs to sent it to America. The website only allows for entering Japanese addresses, so you may have to email the company directly (support@hobby-bank.com). They were quick to respond when I emailed them about a mistake I made when ordering.

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2024, 12:08:48 PM »
I posted this on FB and was told that Powers International is owned by Takashi Hara, he was a serious F2B competitor in the 70's/80's and is very well respected.  y1

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2024, 02:52:03 PM »
What is the cost to get a 35 size kit to America?

Rusty - They have a shipping example shown (see pic) below their ARF “Xebec 19-35” going to California where I am:

Wingspan 1240mm (49”)

Boxed size total of 3 dimensions “120size” { I’m going to assume 120cm } (47”)

Boxed weight 1500g (3.3 pounds)

Combined Shipping and PayPal ¥8770 ($61)

$61-USD is not bad for a 25/26” long box internationally crossing the Pacific.  I’m sure Kansas or New York would be more with considerable added ground travel.

Using PirateShip for a comparison, a 26” x 14” x 7” (47” total) and 3.3 pounds box costs:
$21 Calif to Kansas City
$28 Calif to Schenectady New Yor

Online john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2024, 04:02:34 PM »
Jake thanks for the report.  Glad to know someone is producing kits for Japan.   But, from pictures I have seen where does the average modeler fly?    D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2024, 11:51:56 PM »
 Very interesting, especially with them producing a Twister kit.

My first impression is that this is an evolution of what used to be the KYO kit line. I've got a bunch of vintage NIB KYO Warbird kits. They were nicely done for the era, using heavy woods but were great scale appearing models. The same designs with laser cutting and lighter wood selection would be great. Still not Stunters, but they weren't intended to be. Adding some "new" designs like the Twister to the lineup is a major bonus.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Jake Moon

• New Pilot
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2024, 03:34:31 AM »
But, from pictures I have seen where does the average modeler fly?    D>K

Parks and schoolyards. I believe some of the larger contests have been held at local airports. Even Tokyo has a lot of parks, so there are places to fly.

Very interesting, especially with them producing a Twister kit.

My first impression is that this is an evolution of what used to be the KYO kit line. I've got a bunch of vintage NIB KYO Warbird kits. They were nicely done for the era, using heavy woods but were great scale appearing models. The same designs with laser cutting and lighter wood selection would be great. Still not Stunters, but they weren't intended to be. Adding some "new" designs like the Twister to the lineup is a major bonus.

Kimura don't produce the Twister kits. They are SIG kits that they've imported.

Offline Kafin Noe’man

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2024, 03:49:04 AM »
Thanks for sharing it Jake,

It’s very interesting to see that the kit has pretty much everything in the box, including the fuel tank and even a prop to start with. With that in mind, I think the price is very reasonable for us (especially who lives in Asia) to get them as the shipping cost would be cheaper.

In terms of quality, I wouldn’t question about it since I’m currently flying a really nice Japanese-produced ARF called XEBEC. Very nice craftsmanship and precision. It’s produced by a company named CRAFTLINE that sells their products on Powers International website as well.
INA 1630
I fly: P40, XEBEC, and Cardinal

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2024, 10:07:28 AM »

[/quote]

I wonder where they imported them from?  The labels look like they still say "Montezuma, Iowa"  across the bottom.  The current SIG website still shows them as "SOLD OUT."  If produced here I think it's strange they would satisfy a foreign market before addressing any possible demand here. The mystery continues!

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2024, 12:10:17 PM »

I wonder where they imported them from?  The labels look like they still say "Montezuma, Iowa"  across the bottom.  The current SIG website still shows them as "SOLD OUT."  If produced here I think it's strange they would satisfy a foreign market before addressing any possible demand here. The mystery continues!

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

That pallet loaded with Twisters is probably why Twisters are "sold out" at Sig.

Sig cares not where legal money comes from for product. Thus, Japan spoke (and paid), Sig delivered, and now Twisters at Sig are no more.

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Online john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2024, 01:35:21 PM »
How can any one believe what is on the internet? S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2024, 02:02:32 PM »
Is this your guess or are you speaking from first hand knowledge?

That pallet loaded with Twisters is probably why Twisters are "sold out" at Sig.

Sig cares not where legal money comes from for product. Thus, Japan spoke (and paid), Sig delivered, and now Twisters at Sig are no more.

Andre
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Phil Hawkins

• Commander
  • 909 276 0283
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2024, 02:38:40 PM »
Is this your guess or are you speaking from first hand knowledge?

My question as well!
Since we are obviously making assumptions,  I will go with : they obviously had a contract or agreement before Sig began the move and restructuring. Most likely dedicating a run of Twisters for this agreement. Whatever Sig Manufacturing had for the general public all seemed to run out within a few months. Now if the Twister ran out a year or more before everything else, I would assume... well, not too hard to figure out.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2024, 04:59:32 PM »

10-4, my mistake.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Paul Pomposo

• Ensign
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2024, 06:13:39 PM »
Would someone here from the US be willing to import those in bulk here? Shipping within the states would be more reasonable.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here