News:

• May 14, 2024, 01:57:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: “Repository of Data/Information”  (Read 1267 times)

Online Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
“Repository of Data/Information”
« on: January 11, 2013, 01:58:09 PM »
I’d love to find a “Repository” of data on control line stunt models where I could find at least the wingspan and wing area, for example, of George Aldrich’s Nobler, Bob Palmer’s Mars, Smoothie and Venus, Don Still’s Stuka Stunt … having the engine used on the original would be a bonus.

Has anyone created/found such a source?

TIA - Dennis
 :)
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: “Repository of Data/Information”
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 02:15:44 PM »
I’d love to find a “Repository” of data on control line stunt models where I could find at least the wingspan and wing area, for example, of George Aldrich’s Nobler, Bob Palmer’s Mars, Smoothie and Venus, Don Still’s Stuka Stunt … having the engine used on the original would be a bonus.

Has anyone created/found such a source?

TIA - Dennis

Dennis,
I think that is an excellent idea.  Why don't you take the bull by the horns and start one.

Currently the closest thing I know to such a repository is the mind and library of Keith Trostle...perhaps you could sweet talk him into helping you get started.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 02:16:56 PM »
Wild Bill Netzeband did that.  I'll look for it.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 02:26:25 PM »
Bob Reeves started this some years ago. He had separate pages for engine data and aeroplane data. There was a lot of incomplete information on the pages and a few errors and he had submission pages so that people could submit information to be added to the lists. 

Perhaps Bob could make his pages available and Robert could put them on this server.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 02:41:49 PM »
I don't know of such a data source, but I am pretty sure I could find a plans source for each on your list, and that they'd probably have at least some of that data listed for each of your examples. All of those are available in either kit or ARF/ARC, except the Venus.

Major stunt plans sources are: Randy Aero, Leonard Neumann, UHP, Blue Sky, RSM, AMA, MA, FM, MAN, John Miller, Walter Umland, Tom Dixon and Peter White (Australia). Many of these can be accessed via Garf's "Lists of CL Links" site.   #^  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
I don't know of such a data source, but I am pretty sure I could find a plans source for each on your list, and that they'd probably have at least some of that data listed for each of your examples. All of those are available in either kit or ARF/ARC, except the Venus.

Major stunt plans sources are: Randy Aero, Leonard Neumann, UHP, Blue Sky, RSM, AMA, MA, FM, MAN, John Miller, Walter Umland, Tom Dixon and Peter White (Australia). Many of these can be accessed via Garf's "Lists of CL Links" site.   #^  Steve

I have found conflicting numbers on some of those sources and others over the years.  The advent of modern CAD makes it relatively easy to determine the numbers accurately for those done in CAD.

I'm prompted to ask this when thinking about questions Mike Griffin raised re: design parameters; I'll share my thoughts there.

Dennis

Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 03:32:01 PM »
Ty, the web site that you are thinking of may have been Dave Day's.

http://www.iroquois.free-online.co.uk/index.htm

Online Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 03:33:56 PM »
Bob Reeves started this some years ago. He had separate pages for engine data and aeroplane data. There was a lot of incomplete information on the pages and a few errors and he had submission pages so that people could submit information to be added to the lists.  

Perhaps Bob could make his pages available and Robert could put them on this server.

That would be a great addition to this site!

How about:

Designer
Model Name
Manufacturer (for designs kitted but not published)
Original Publication/Date
Wingspan
Wing Area
Original Engine/Power
Comments

Anything else?

Dennis

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 04:10:39 PM »
That would be a great addition to this site!

How about:

Designer
Model Name
Manufacturer (for designs kitted but not published)
Original Publication/Date
Wingspan
Wing Area
Original Engine/Power
Comments

Anything else?

Dennis

Essentially, Dave Day's website (referenced above) does that but does not give engine or area information and lists only old time (465 entries) and classic (432 entries) designs.  His lists do include dates for kits (in some cases) and design articles.

Keith

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 06:52:54 PM by Trostle »

Mike Griffin

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 04:19:05 PM »
I think this is what Howard was referring to....you can click the link or google the words

Mike
Maybe this will benefit everyone.  Click on the link.

Mike

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:VP9UDuUCY5YJ:www.control-line.org/admin/Portal/LinkClick.aspx%3Ftabid%3D22%26table%3Ddnn_CsDocument%26field%3DItemID%26id%3D131%26link%3DNetzeband_Stunt_Design_Summary.pdf+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

or Google these words:
A SUMMARY OF AERODYNAMIC AND GEOMETRIC DATA
FOR 101 C/L PRECISION AEROBATIC OR STUNT DESIGNS,
ACTIVE BETWEEN 1946 AND 1996.
Prepared by WildBill Netzeband

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 05:12:57 PM »
In the August 1973 issue of Model Airplane News, Round &*Round column writer John Blum did a survey of some 24 "designs of the day" and prepared a chart that gave all of the dimensions of these airplanes, including including areas of the wings, flaps, horzontal stabilizers, elevators and vertical tails, engines, tanks and props.

The charts and drawings cannot be copied well here.

KT

Online Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 05:41:03 PM »
Thanks Keith!  I'll look for that, but can you scan it?  I may be able to convert a pdf file to something which can be presented here ...

Dennis

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here