News:

• April 19, 2024, 02:46:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reno National Championship Air Races-R.I.P.  (Read 2731 times)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Reno National Championship Air Races-R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 07:16:46 PM »
Sadly, it's no great surprise, but it's over.

https://commemorativeairforce.org/news/2023-to-mark-final-year-for-national-championship-air-races-at-reno-stead-airport

The people of today can "race these planes" in the totally safe, sterile and climate controlled confines of that 2nd bedroom they use as a $10,000 virtual reality / video arcade.
This way they are never any more than 20 feet from the refrigerator, their meds, or the toilet.... LL~

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 10:41:25 PM »
  I saw a facebook posting about it. Said their lease is up, but efforts are underway to find another venue. I'm glad I got to go when I did and see them on the long course, coming down the Valley of Speed! I don't know how I can manage it but just may have to figure out a way to make the pilgrimage!
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2023, 11:38:20 PM »
The people of today can "race these planes" in the totally safe, sterile and climate controlled confines of that 2nd bedroom they use as a $10,000 virtual reality / video arcade.
This way they are never any more than 20 feet from the refrigerator, their meds, or the toilet.... LL~

Chuck, your comment has nothing to do with and has completely missed the point of relaying this news.

It's rare on this forum anymore, but it would be appreciated to maintain some respect with comments throughout this thread. Air Racing at Reno has a very long and incredibly colorful history. Throughout the years many fine people practically lived for Reno. Some gave their lives competing out there, fully aware of the risks but pursuing their biggest dreams. Blood, sweat, and tears, literally.
 For passionate competitors, loyal fans, and many others, it's a huge loss to learn that it's over. I've religiously followed the event, aircraft, owners and competitors as long as I can remember, since I was just a kid in the 70's watching it on Wide World of Sports. Among other examples the annual Reno issue of "Air Classics" has been my favorite of that magazine for just as long. The list goes on.
 Because of the distance from Minnesota I've only been fortunate enough to attend twice, 2007 and 2012. The first time I ever walked through the gate, stopped, looked, and read "Stead" on the tower I damn near kissed the ground. The feeling was like reaching mecca to me. The feeling of history was incredible. Hearing this news today put a knot in my stomach much like losing a good friend, it hurts. I wish I could make it for this years sunset event, but I simply can't afford it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 12:32:51 AM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 03:35:53 PM »
I was at Pylon #2 when Miss Ashley II came apart and crashed. I can still replay that sequence in my head. Sad to see it go but I have pictures of Formula one, AT-6 and the unlimited airplanes.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023, 05:17:33 PM »
Chuck, your comment has nothing to do with and has completely missed the point of relaying this news.

It's rare on this forum anymore, but it would be appreciated to maintain some respect with comments throughout this thread. Air Racing at Reno has a very long and incredibly colorful history. Throughout the years many fine people practically lived for Reno. Some gave their lives competing out there, fully aware of the risks but pursuing their biggest dreams. Blood, sweat, and tears, literally.
 For passionate competitors, loyal fans, and many others, it's a huge loss to learn that it's over. I've religiously followed the event, aircraft, owners and competitors as long as I can remember, since I was just a kid in the 70's watching it on Wide World of Sports. Among other examples the annual Reno issue of "Air Classics" has been my favorite of that magazine for just as long. The list goes on.
 Because of the distance from Minnesota I've only been fortunate enough to attend twice, 2007 and 2012. The first time I ever walked through the gate, stopped, looked, and read "Stead" on the tower I damn near kissed the ground. The feeling was like reaching mecca to me. The feeling of history was incredible. Hearing this news today put a knot in my stomach much like losing a good friend, it hurts. I wish I could make it for this years sunset event, but I simply can't afford it.

If you think the "people of today" and future generations will generate as much support and demand for the Reno Air Races as there was back in the day...then it makes no sense that the races are being cancelled.
I think they are being cancelled because the forecast for future public support does not look good...but hey.....that's just my "disrespectful" opinion.

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2023, 05:52:35 PM »
If you think the "people of today" and future generations will generate as much support and demand for the Reno Air Races as there was back in the day...then it makes no sense that the races are being cancelled.
I think they are being cancelled because the forecast for future public support does not look good...but hey.....that's just my "disrespectful" opinion.

I am rather shocked that lawyers and the insurers didn't pull the plug ages ago on air races with crowds so close.  The potential for disaster is both legitimate and historically proven.  To open yourself, a business or property up to such liability exposure is gutsy at best and recklessly negligent at worst.  The ending of the Reno Air Races doesn't have anything to do with young people or today's generation or your other BS excuses.  In this case, the lease is not being renewed by the Reno Airport Authority.  Reno like most places inn the West is growing at an explosive rate.  The encroachment of residential property near the airport buffer zone is forcing the hand.   How do your contentious comments about "these dern youngsters of today" have any value in a conversation about a landowner refusing to renew a lease for a beloved air race facility due to growing and legitimate safety concerns. 
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2023, 06:02:28 PM »
I am rather shocked that lawyers and the insurers didn't pull the plug ages ago on air races with crowds so close.  The potential for disaster is both legitimate and historically proven.  To open yourself, a business or property up to such liability exposure is gutsy at best and recklessly negligent at worst.  The ending of the Reno Air Races doesn't have anything to do with young people or today's generation or your other BS excuses.  In this case, the lease is not being renewed by the Reno Airport Authority.  Reno like most places inn the West is growing at an explosive rate.  The encroachment of residential property near the airport buffer zone is forcing the hand.   How do your contentious comments about "these dern youngsters of today" have any value in a conversation about a landowner refusing to renew a lease for a beloved air race facility due to growing and legitimate safety concerns.

The people of yesteryear obviously didn't think the safety concerns were great enough to discontinue the races.
The people of today decided / were allowed to build homes an unsafe distance[?] from the race course...? LL~
The people of today have canceled the races.
Case closed.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2023, 06:46:18 PM »
The people of yesteryear obviously didn't think the safety concerns were great enough to discontinue the races.
The people of today decided / were allowed to build homes an unsafe distance[?] from the race course...? LL~
Case closed.

I got to attend in 1999, the year Gary Levitz lost his life, and I crewed on Chris McMillin's Pitts Special. Even back then it was obvious that stupid people built houses near airports and then complain!! We stayed at the Silver Legacy Hotel in Reno.  When riding out to the airport, we went past miles and miles of unoccupied desert, never saw a house or a development, until we got to the airport!!. The only hope then was if they had bought up all the property around the airport as a scatter zone. They might have been able to do that with all the money they spent buying people out of their houses for the week! Some one built a resort on top pf the mountain where the far pylon was so they had to shorten the course and it more or less eliminated the Valley of Speed. Unlimited participation had fallen off as a result, because they were mainly flying in an oval course, never got to fly wings level and catch their breath and are under a pretty heavy G load for the entire race. You just have to understand and respect the history. It's on par with Cleveland. Maybe more so, because more people have attended and they have been going on there for so long. It's along the lines of if they lost the lease to the Indianapolis Speedway, and was going to turn it into a subdivision. You could have a race elsewhere each Memorial Day weekend, but it wouldn't be Indy! Stead is just a perfect place for it also. You have to see it in person, sit in the stands, and feel, yes, feel them go by the home pylon at 450 MPH!! If you understand, no explanation is necessary. If you don't understand, no explanation is possible.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2023, 10:25:18 PM »
Case closed.

I used to work for an organization who had to blame people when they got upset...

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2023, 12:43:40 AM »
 Chuck, you're obviously blind to the point of this thread and couldn't possibly be missing the point any more or be any further off base on the topic. In fact you're so far off base that you've made it abundantly clear that it's not even worth trying to get it through your head. And yes, the expression of your ignorance on the point is VERY disrespectful to those here who "get it". Your pushing of this ignorance makes it even worse. At this point you're one reply away from becoming the third member of my ignore list on this forum. I honestly do hope that doesn't happen, and not that you may care, but it's your choice. I'll be fine with it either way.

Now, it doesn't take a effin' rocket scientist to figure that this day would likely come at some point. The sad, gut-wrenching point is that the time has come. Simple as that, but RESPECT the history and the people who provided it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 01:04:14 AM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2023, 01:06:25 AM »
Chuck, you're obviously blind to the point of this thread and couldn't possibly be missing the point any more or be any further off base on the topic. In fact, you've made it abundantly clear that it's not even worth trying to get it through your head. And yes, the expression of your ignorance on the point is VERY disrespectful.

How could anyone miss "the  point" you made here...?
What point did you make...?
You said you aren't surprised and I followed up with why I am not surprised...yet I "missed the point" of this thread..... ::)

Sadly, it's no great surprise, but it's over

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2023, 01:24:51 AM »

You said you aren't surprised...

Yes, I did say I'm not surprised, only because for anyone paying attention it's been obvious for quite some time that the day was coming. However, even though I have some strong opinions about things that could have been done by RARA to potentially avoid it, I'm honoring the history of this great event and not jumping the bandwagon preaching negativity on the fact that the sun has set.

Wayne Willey

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2023, 01:26:59 AM »
They be like...Thanks for 750 million to the economy, now get out.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2023, 01:30:29 AM »
They be like...Thanks for 750 million to the economy, now get out.

I'm very confident that there's more to the story.  y1

Wayne Willey

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2023, 02:52:49 AM »
  I saw a facebook posting about it. Said their lease is up, but efforts are underway to find another venue. ...
Hope they find a place that works.
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2023, 07:13:24 PM »
Hope they find a place that works.

They claim to be searching for a new location but I don't feel like RARA has the proper leadership or vision to make it happen. The lack of both has been a problem for a long time and has a lot to do with what's been a gradual erosion and now the resulting demise IMO. Of course there are a lot of other variables involved, but I still put the majority of the blame on RARA. As far as a future revival at a new venue, it could be great but it would take a long list of star-aligning miracles. It's to bad, a colorful 60 years of competitive aviation history made out there, all coming to an end.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 08:33:09 PM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2023, 07:48:24 PM »

Just came across this video, a good touch on some of the factors...

Wayne Willey

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2023, 11:38:59 PM »
In the 70's there was nothing out around the airport. The land was very cheap. The Air Race Association was to use profits to buy land to eliminate the problem of build up close to the field or course. Instead the land was sold to profit some of those on the board. Loss of that land was just one example of the use of funds by the Air Race Association  not going to uses best for the furthering of the races.
My first year at Reno was in 1970 when my dad flew in the pylon races. Intrigue and politics were evident then to an 11 year old, and it never got much better.
Chris...

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2023, 10:27:45 AM »
Well if you this year, cheer for a modeler (CL combat) and a low-budget guy look for the #76 doghouse Formula 1.  He is just finishing a new wing to go faster and get into the gold heats.  Hope he gets to use it for more than one race.
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2023, 03:49:10 PM »
Case closed.

You are, presumably, speaking about the air races getting kicked out of Cleveland after the Beguine crashed into the homes that were encroaching on the airport in 1949.  So when you say "today" you mean events that happened 73 years ago.

Could you please explain how the things happening in the real today are different from things happening in the "today" that you are speaking about?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2023, 05:54:56 PM »
You are, presumably, speaking about the air races getting kicked out of Cleveland after the Beguine crashed into the homes that were encroaching on the airport in 1949.  So when you say "today" you mean events that happened 73 years ago.

Could you please explain how the things happening in the real today are different from things happening in the "today" that you are speaking about?
No..any sane person could easily see I was  talking about Reno.
If you don't think more activities are being shut down today than ever before...then I'll just let you continue to cherry pick the outliers while I continue to base my opinons on what is statistically robust and more "the rule" than the exception.. H^^

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2023, 06:54:59 PM »
No..any sane person could easily see I was  talking about Reno.
If you don't think more activities are being shut down today than ever before...then I'll just let you continue to cherry pick the outliers while I continue to base my opinons on what is statistically robust and more "the rule" than the exception.. H^^

Oh!  I didn't realize you had robust statistics!  Please share them!  Because I'm 60, and I've been seeing airports getting shut down for my entire life over BS noise and "safety" complaints.  But clearly kids these days really are different from the "kids these days" that old people those days have been complaining about for hundreds if not thousands of years, and complaining about "people today" isn't just what folks start doing naturally as they get old!

So, yes, do share your concrete evidence!  I await it with bated breath!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2023, 08:20:13 PM »
In the 70's there was nothing out around the airport. The land was very cheap. The Air Race Association was to use profits to buy land to eliminate the problem of build up close to the field or course. Instead the land was sold to profit some of those on the board. Loss of that land was just one example of the use of funds by the Air Race Association  not going to uses best for the furthering of the races.
My first year at Reno was in 1970 when my dad flew in the pylon races. Intrigue and politics were evident then to an 11 year old, and it never got much better.
Chris...

I was kind of hoping Chris would chime in here. He knows a ton more about this than I do, and his paragraph here helps confirm a portion of my long standing thoughts about the fidelity of RARA. Watching things play out over the years I've felt for a long time that RARA themselves has done more harm than good toward the sustentation of the event. Chris' information here is just part of a very long list. Thanks Chris.

Wayne Willey

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2023, 08:52:39 PM »
Oh!  I didn't realize you had robust statistics!  Please share them!  Because I'm 60, and I've been seeing airports getting shut down for my entire life over BS noise and "safety" complaints.  But clearly kids these days really are different from the "kids these days" that old people those days have been complaining about for hundreds if not thousands of years, and complaining about "people today" isn't just what folks start doing naturally as they get old!

So, yes, do share your concrete evidence!  I await it with bated breath!

Your list of airports run out of business due to re-zoning has nothing to do with my OP in this thread.
It is pretty sad to realize that the people of today allowed houses to encrouch on their Reno air race operation, though.

I stated back in my first post that there will be less and less interest and support for  this outdoor activity as the years go by due to the generations of young people who spent their entire lives playing indoors...and you failed to disprove that.
Everywhere I look there is evidence of less participation in out door activities.
There is strong  evidence of this social trend worsening everywhere.

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2023, 02:40:27 AM »
They could move to the south of Lovelock, using Derby field.  Not sure just how close to I-80 that would put them, but NO houses out there. Might interfere with NAS Fallon though....
Main runway is about 2 miles from the highway - and there seems to be pretty much nothing there, except for a couple of runways and what looks like some farming facilities (Google Street View).
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2023, 12:12:40 PM »
When Levitz crashed in 1999, my wife was shook up and Stan Brown, well established Reno attorney, air race pilot and on the original board of the Air Race Association told us a story of how in 1971 an engineering company was hired to run an analysis of an accident where a Bearcat at 400 mph lost a wing at pylon 8 heading for the pits/stands and what losses they might incur. The winter meeting was at Stan's home, imagine roaring fire place, enormous wood paneled room with board room like table, all with a drink and smoke after dinner, and the engineering firm made their findings known with copies of analysis,  poster display,  very complete. Stan went on to explain the horror in which the news of just how bad things could be in this worst case scenario.  Stan asked if the company had copies of this at their offices and he said no, all were here, Stan collected them, and threw them in the roaring fire with all present knowing the truth of it was if the insurance companies knew this they would not insure.

He said that most of those men present there were dead, Stan would soon later pass and they all felt a heavy responsibility to keep things safe, buy as much land as seemed necessary at the time, but even in 1999 he said none of them thought the races would last 20 years., so we were 15 years past those men's longest forecast for longevity considering 1964 as the inception. The idea of buying the amount of land necessary to keep the entire valley clear was never imagined necessary because the races wouldn't last.

Later versions of the Air Race Association were better equipped financially and future forward thinking than that original board, the growth of the race in the 80's showed the potential,  but that is when greed and malfeasance started to appear in many an onlookers opinion.

But who is to say it isn't a good end? I think it has run its course. The Unlimiteds were actually limited, their age, cost, and performance was going to eventually catch up with them... now they are investments, parts aren't held in junkyards, and old men got them going too fast for old ways of thinking of their operation,  let me directly point the finger at Jimmy Leeward's complete and total responsibility to ownership, direction of maintenance and being pilot in command  of an unairworthy, super modified Unlimited that caused the only crash at Reno to harm a bystander. This was because of the lack of reality that the airplanes were aging like the pilot, N79111 wasn't the same as it was when he bought it in 1983.

So, I see no race replacement. No longer will multi class events be held, and if pylon races take place it'll be F1 and Biplanes at large airshows with area sufficient for their 3 mile courses with one mile straights.

Actually I agree with Chuck's assessment of the virtual view gamer in his parent's house... those are the modern version of me and my buddies that flew models, worked to get dual instruction at the local airport and drove our sports cars on a pittance we had scrounged together to go to the races and watch actual men and machines in action. My eldest son had better things to do with his buddies rather than watch his old man fly in an actual pylon race... so the world is either an ever changing place for the worse or it has always been this way and we are all watching just one thing we liked pass by.

I'll be there to say my goodbyes, but it will be just to see the last race, my friends that are there and remember the old friends gone by... nearly 60 years is a pretty good run for anything.

Chris...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 12:49:48 PM by Chris McMillin »

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2023, 08:00:46 PM »

For anyone interested, the Nov '22 issue of Air Classics magazine contains a very good article about the background and playing out of this demise written by Matt Jackson. Matt has his own long history of piloting most of the fastest and highly modified Unlimiteds ever to compete at Reno. In all aspects he's one of the most experienced out there. The issue also contains additional relevant Reno info along with a comprehensive history article on the famous "Bardahl Special" P-51.

http://www.airclassicsnow.com/ac-nov-2022.html

Wayne Willey

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2023, 12:26:44 AM »
Was there for the "Finish" Tiger vs Steve-O 

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2023, 08:12:40 AM »

Love that picture.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2023, 10:28:38 AM »

Looks like Steven by a spinner!!
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2023, 05:13:37 PM »

Here's the video...

Wayne Willey

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2023, 08:44:43 PM »
   Looks like Steven by a spinner!!

Actually Tiger was flying Strega,  He passed Steve O in Voodoo literally 5 feet before the pylon for the Win but was DQ'd  for "flying to high" during the race.  Sadly he melted the motor down running Steve O down for that finish and was unable to fly on Sunday.  Voodoo cruised to an easy victory on Sunday after RareBear pulled out on lap 4 I think.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here